Debian Decides on systemd

amenditman

'upstart' has turned out to be a non-starter.

Very prophetic.

http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/2014/02/14/linux-init-system-shocker-mark-shuttleworth-announces-ubuntu-follow-debian-adopt-systemd/

Linux init-system shocker: Mark Shuttleworth announces that Ubuntu will follow Debian and adopt systemd

A wise move, I think. Canonical’s resources are spread thinly enough that anything not directly related to getting their phone OS to market should be seen as ripe for offloading to other parts of the community.

:whistling:

• Like 1

systemd has been in Mageia since Mageia 2 , from my perspective the event was rather uneventful. It appears to me that Fedora, Opensuse and Mageia distros took simular roads to implementing it and seem to have worked together to some degree in that process. What is different is how they have handled follow-on. Mageia suggust a reboot.. Fedora and Opensuse do not , at least not that I have seen. I dont leave my systems running so rebooting vs not rebooting has not been really important.

I know the systemd quest was to gain efficiencies in daemons in start -up and shut-down and replace cron and a few other things...but basically in laymens terms speed-up start/stop stuff and hopefully get all the correct daemons started/stopped.

My question, is does it really achieve this...from what I have seen, speedwise, yes..but I was looking for it...maybe 10-30 seconds depending in the system. On release dsitros I havent seen any daemon issues, Dev/testing distros yes...usually it follows a daemon upgrade...then quickly corrected.

I would guess though, and I could be wrong, is sooner or later some developer will come up with the new and improved "systemd" and we shall do this again...or when KDE 5 comes out...which ever comes first :whistling:

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw that thread and found it informative and very useful at a personal level...my statement was more reflective of 2012 when it came into Mageia and the others than real time and how if affect OTB performance...still...I wonder what will be the next new "systemd"

Guest LilBambi

Hey BarryB. Glad to hear it was not very eventful for an change in Mageia. Maybe the same will be true in Debian, but I don't hold out much hope for that.

If one is a graphical user mainly, maybe it will not be too much of an issue. But at the commandline ... what are your thoughts there? I do quite a bit in commandline.

Yeah, I saw that thread and found it informative and very useful at a personal level...my statement was more reflective of 2012 when it came into Mageia and the others than real time and how if affect OTB performance...still...I wonder what will be the next new "systemd"

The NSA are apparently working on a system of demons they can use to replace systemd to incorporate in linux. :devil:

Nah...he meant demons...especially with NSA involved... :whistling:

As far as the commandline goes, from what I have seen, read and played with...the big issue is the shift from scripts to to declaritive configs and schedulers...so it is a change, it will be how do go about the learning new commandline inputs and learning the supporting admin framework. The results "I think" will be like any other ..garbage in - garbage out.

For me to learn it..I will have to treat as new, as focus on "If I Mask this..this will occur" not "well in cron I could script this to occur at this point."

Now, personally I see it has having removed some of my more detailed control that really only meant something to me.. that may appeal to regular computer user.(who probably could care less) and maybe even to admins in that a scheduler might be a better option than scripting..

What I see is as we move toward more "Frameworked " structures, look for more near pre-build configs and schedulers.

• Like 1

Now, personally I see it has having removed some of my more detailed control that really only meant something to me.. that may appeal to regular computer user.(who probably could care less) and maybe even to admins in that a scheduler might be a better option than scripting.

I think you mean "couldn't care less".

So far I'm liking the unified boot configuration and message/log access provided by systemctl and journalctl. It seems more straightforward than searching for disparate init scripts and log files.

And cutting my boot time down from 10 seconds to 7 seconds will save me minutes over my lifetime!

• Like 1

Ah, Yes that is what I meant Sunrat...could not care less...or more. I think to most users it would be transparent. But, I think most things that affect the system as whole, for most users, the expectation is that they are transparent. (at least at the beginning...If they become involved more with the "working system" that may change.)

Personally, for me it is just getting use to the change...once I get past the "well it is here...now what ?"part" I'm OK :whistling:

Personally, for me it is just getting use to the change...once I get past the "well it is here...now what ?"part" I'm OK :whistling:

Yes exactly. eg. these days I can't remember how to configure GRUB legacy after using GRUB2 for a while.