Windows 8.1 - Oy...

raymac46

I hear what Adam is saying.

In some ways Microsoft's attempt to unify the tablet and desktop environment is the software equivalent of AMD's attempt to unify the GPU and CPU. It is probably the correct long term strategic thing to do; however in the short term your competitors might eat your lunch.

Microsoft is lucky they don't have a lot of desktop competition. They sure do have it in smartphones and tablets.

Anyway, like most geeks I have lots of ways to personally avoid the Metro environment, so I'm not worried. I now know how to deep six Metro on Windows 8 if the customer wants me to. I'll never buy a Windows 8 based tablet - RT or otherwise.

I would love to see Windows 9 Pro with no Metro. That makes getting a business grade machine a no-brainer.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Business grade machines are a better route anyway... better hardware, usually more upgradeable, and built better. They are an overall better solution for the tinkerers.

Adam

Yeah, better machines with better motherboards. It is the main reason I got an i7 equipped H business workstation for the church's powerpoint needs.

Adam

It will be interesting to see exactly where Microsoft takes us with the future version(s) of Windows.

I was rather surprised to see that Windows 8.1 had a different version number (3) in addition to the build number (9600).

W8 - 6.2.9200

W8.1 - 6.3.9600

Many seem to think that Windows 8.1 is a Service Pack for Windows 8, but the ^^^ numbers clearly indicate otherwise, IMO.

W8.1 & W8 do share the NT6 platform with Vista and Windows 7 -

Vista SP0 - 6.0.6000

Vista SP1 - 6.0.6001

Vista SP2 - 6.0.6002

W7 SP0 - 6.1.7600

W7 SP1 - 6.1.7601

W2k + XP = 5.x

I think if you want Windows on your desktop the best way to go is a commercial grade machine. My Acer Veriton has Windows 7 Pro, a nice i5 CPU and a solid motherboard and construction. It needed upgrades to the power supply and video in order to run games though. If I'd gone with a gamer desktop I probably would have gotten Windows 7 Home and the motherboard and construction wouldn't be as good.

When it came to a Linux desktop I felt the best thing to do was to build it from scratch. That way I didn't pay for Windows and I could invest in better components.

You are right. The touch interface, in its current form, is not suited for business. Touch is in its infancy. As more and more applications are developed for touch, it will be used more and more in the business environment.

Businesses, however, have a lot of aged software that's being used as well.As time progresses, and applications are built fc touch, this will become less and less of an issue. We are at the bottom slope of logarithmic scale of adoption of touch UIs overall.

I don't think Metro is a toy. It is a first-gen touch interface for Microsoft. They spent a lot of time and resources developing it. Like Android and iOS, it is going to take a few iterations to evolve.

Adam