GSmartControl

sunrat

Just found a neat little GUI utility to monitor the health of hard drives as reported by SMART - GSmartControl - http://gsmartcontrol...dex.php/en/Home Available in Debian repo and probably yours too.

My old 320GB drive reports 44060 hrs power on time and 763 reallocated sectors. Warning! Imminent failure! It's been reporting its imminent death for over a year. Only a data drive with everything backed up so I'll see how long it lasts. :shifty:

Well I did a check on my running drives. All Samsung F3's.

The first two shots are 500 GB F3's short stroked to 150 GB in Raid 0 with Windows 7 which is only used for gaming.

kOVLRCj.png

2awrdSs.png

This last shot is a 500 GB F3 that I use for Arch and is my daily use drive.

2rCsCza.png

As you can see all drives show some errors. I ran a short self test on all drives and they all passed. So it seems the errors are just normal wear and tear and I still have a lot of life left in the drives.

I do not really understand all the results. I would have expected the Arch drive to show higher use figures as it is used more but that does not seem to be the case. Oh well that is just another geeky thing that me poor old barbarian brain does not see.No problem, they switch on, they work. :sweatingbullets:

It's the Raw Value and error type that give the most instant assessment:

cxlq.png

I always used smartmontools on the command line before, but GSmartControl saves having to remember which options to feed it.

• Like 1