Security apps recommendations needed.

lewmur

Most of the time I just recommend MS's Security Essentials but my niece has four school age kids with laptops plus her own laptop and the "family" desktop. I getting tired of constantly having to clean up all of them. She has agreed to pay for better protection so I'm looking for recommendations. All of the boxes have Vista or later OS's. Of course I'd prefer something with a "family plan" that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lew

Edited by lewmur
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

ESET Smart Security would be a great choice. I use it on my Windows side of one of my laptops.

But you have to remember that computers get hit regardless of the AV they use. Much of that is where people go on the Internet, what they open from email, where they go to play games, and curiosity killed the computer.

If kids would do it, a Mint LiveDVD or even a Mint install with all the codecs would likely be better than using Windows.

Family computers where kids are allowed to have free rein have a much greater chance of getting hit then just about any other grouping except maybe the elderly who are just learning to use computers.

Ordinarily I'd say keep MS Security Essentials but add Malwarebytes Pro but with 4 kids and 6 computers in the house, real time protection would cost $150. Ouch!

I went to the site and the maximum you can purchase online is 5 and the price drops to $20.95, for a total of $104.75 still very high for a large family!

Someone posted a product at another forum that uses the MBAM engine and the cost was $7.95 per computer.

When I find the info again, I'll add it to this post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find it after searching a few pages of threads

http://www.chicalogic.com/products/pc-shield

I can not vouch for how well it works but it does say powered by Malwarebytes. A girl or woman might not bind this but if some or all of the kids are boys, they would not want this on their computer for others to see. I also see the price is $7.99

Your niece could try it on her computer and see how it works and put the free MBAM on the other computers.

Edited by zlim