Bulbs

V.T. Eric Layton

i have a few incandescent bulbs i stocked up on , but if LED bulbs come sharply down in price ($2 a piece?) I don't think I'd have a problem in switching them in and on.

CFL though - bleh , never did like the idea of just 3 downs.

V.T. Eric Layton

LED is going to be the way to go, but I do have a few incandescents stored out in the back porch. ;)

I love my curly bulbs. I changed everything in my house over to curly bulbs back in '07. The savings on my electric bill has been VERY noticeable. Plus, I haven't had to replace one of them yet... 7 years later. Not bad, huh?

If I get skin cancer from them, I'm going to be pissed, though. :(

Probably won't be skin cancer, unless you are smashing them.

Most likely some kind of respiratory cancer or related.

Won't be a problem though as you can just blame it on your previous smoking habit.

V.T. Eric Layton

Smoking habit? What smoking habit? Or should I say which smoking habit. Anyway... I don't recall.

Probably won't be skin cancer, unless you are smashing them.

Most likely some kind of respiratory cancer or related.

Won't be a problem though as you can just blame it on your previous smoking habit.

If you service your own car, or do any kind of mechanical work, you probably have a "drop light".

Bulbs in drop lights seldom "burn out", they usually break.

Currently, LEDs are too costly to be considered expendable.

I'm not happy about the prospect of breathing mercury vapor, after every "oops", when/if I have to use CFLs.

Guest LilBambi

Yes! Exactly Pete! And that is my major concern about CFLs.

LEDs and incandescent bulbs do not have dangers of this kind.

Also I do not think CFLs in landfills is a good thing. But electronics are not good in landfills either.

LEDs are generally safer to use, but currently more expensive. In time we will replace CFLs with LED.

NOTE: there are still some circumstances were incandescent bulbs are safer than CFLs.

I would not replace an incandescent bulb with CFL in the refrigerator, even if incandescent was no longer available. This is one area where I would buy LED instead even if I had to save up for it.

Our Fridge has a small appliance bulb in it. Makes it easier to find stuff.

Leave it blown and you will have the opportunity to create some new recipes.

It will be like the million monkeys typing for a million years and recreating the works of Shakespeare.

FUN and possibly yucky!

• Like 1

Because it blew out?

Our Fridge has a small appliance bulb in it. Makes it easier to find stuff.

Ah ha yes I had forgotten that you folk have fridges as big as houses. :laugh: My fridge light blew about a year ago but my kitchen is light enough for me to see the contents. Mind you I can tell different beer bottles by touch. :Laughing:

In the past our microwave bulbs were customer replaceable; not so any more. I decided if that burned out, we'd end up using a flashlight. But the refrigerators and the ovens are a different matter. If those bulbs burn out, they will get replaced by me. I do not want to use a flashlight to check on things in the fridge and oven.

Guest LilBambi

Ours did blow out in our microwave and it's not user replaceable. It's still out, years later. ;) But we too always replace the one in the Fridge. Our oven sadly is so old it doesn't have a light ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Does the light really go off when you close the door? How would you know? It's kinda' like that tree falling in the forest. If no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound. Observation affects behavior; a truth well-known in the Physics community. ;)

Does the light really go off when you close the door?
Yes. When my sister-in-law had a problem that the light would not go on even after replacing the bulb with two other new ones, I told her to search the indoor frame until she found the toggle switch and see if it was stuck in the "door closed" position.

V.T. Eric Layton

Unless you're inside the fridge, you won't know if that light really goes off when you close the door, though. You take it on faith. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Not really. The toggle button goes in when you close the door and if you test that it turns out when you push in the toggle button, it does go out when the door pushes it in.

Technically it's a pressure switch. A toggle switch would remain off or on like a wall light switch.

On my refrigerator the door hits the switch before it is completely closed - maybe 1/16". But Eric could be right. It might come back on when the door is completely closed.

V.T. Eric Layton

Not really. The toggle button goes in when you close the door and if you test that it turns out when you push in the toggle button, it does go out when the door pushes it in.

Sure. You go on believing that. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Ours is not a toggle or a pressure switch. It's a big red button that presses in when the fridge door closes or you can push it in yourself to test that it is working.

Ours is not a toggle or a pressure switch. It's a big red button that presses in when the fridge door closes or you can push it in yourself to test that it is working.

That is a pressure switch.

i'd be terrified to see the home refrig that had a setup like that with it!!

The door is sealed shut with an elaborate mechanism utilizing 600lb. of steam.

Adam