LuckyBackup Tutorial (Discussion Thread)

Guest LilBambi

It's a great little program. I use it all the time to backup virtual machines in case I break one. I can nuke my messed up VM and restore the last good one.

• Like 2

It's a great little program. I use it all the time to backup virtual machines in case I break one. I can nuke my messed up VM and restore the last good one.

Ditto! Great minds think alike?! o:)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Very nice! Excellent! In a few days, I'll split off the comments and lock it for you (with a link in the Standard Tutorials thread in Bruno's Classroom). I'll give you a few days to tweak and adjust if you need to.

Thanks! You've passed the initiation with flying colors. ;)

• Like 1

securitybreach

Very nice! Excellent! In a few days, I'll split off the comments and lock it for you (with a link in the Standard Tutorials thread in Bruno's Classroom). I'll give you a few days to tweak and adjust if you need to.

Thanks! You've passed the initiation with flying colors. ;)

Sounds excellent Eric :thumbup:

Hey folks, thanks for all the nice words and positive comments, but how about some constructive criticism? If this is going to end up as a permanent sticky somewhere, I want to make it as clear and accurate as I can! I've already edited the formatting for some clarity, but the content is unchanged. I think the instructions are pretty clear, but that's because I wrote it from the perspective of a user; perhaps it isn't as clear as I think it is? Perhaps a non-user or new user of this program could be confused about something that was perceived as ambiguous? Has anyone tried to use LuckyBackup with my instructions/suggestions? Were there any moments of hesitation, where you thought "uh oh, he didn't mention THAT....what should I do"?

In all honesty, I'm glad to hear I did good, but I'll be just as glad to hear what I can do better! THANK YOU!

Guest LilBambi

Excellent thoughts Hedon!

I don't use rsync so I won't be much good for constructive criticism of the system or the processes, however here are a couple thoughts in general.

I like the format changes you made. Makes the flow much easier and less distracting.

For those that don't use rsync, some expansion on examples in the tutorial for the areas they could be used would be great! The music example is a great one, but the one by raymac46 about using rsync to backup virtualbox virtual machines is equally a compelling use.

Hey folks, thanks for all the nice words and positive comments, but how about some constructive criticism?

Thanks for your valuable effort. It appears to be a comprehensive tutorial with good info. However I would prefer it to be more concise.

I currently only use rsync to back up locally, and your tutorial has not convinced me that using Lucky Backup would be any simpler than that. I do recall reading rsync tutes and man pages to understand it though, so I guess it may be easier for someone new to it.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Not sure he really needs to convince anyone, but I understand where you are coming from.

This is simply a tutorial on how to use this particular GUI frontend to rsync. And maybe give some ideas on how it can be used.

Right?

Thanks for your valuable effort. It appears to be a comprehensive tutorial with good info. However I would prefer it to be more concise.

I currently only use rsync to back up locally, and your tutorial has not convinced me that using Lucky Backup would be any simpler than that. I do recall reading rsync tutes and man pages to understand it though, so I guess it may be easier for someone new to it.

I appreciate the feedback sunrat. As a matter of clarity though, I'm not trying to convince anyone to do anything different. In fact, if you're already using rsync for localized backups, I'm not sure LuckyBackup offers anything to you that you don't already know. Maybe? Maybe not? I'm just putting it out there for less experienced users that there is indeed a way to harness the power of rsync without all the intimidating switches, flags, & options of the command line. If that interests you, here you go...I hope I was helpful in getting you started with that program. It's just another tool for the belt...not necessarily better or worse; just another option.

But, for the record, this is what I LOVE about Linux! All the different ways to accomplish something. Someone developed this awesomely powerful program called 'rsync' to assist everyone with making their backups as painless as possible...something we ALL should do, but don't always. I like a GUI interface to walk me through what a program can do, so I think LuckyBackup is perfect. You prefer a man page and command line kung-fu, so the terminal is your preferred modus operandi. And yet we both accomplish the task at hand, each of us using the tool of our individual preference, and we're both pretty happy with the results of that! Windows users can't say that, because they don't know what "free"dom is!

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I like colors, bold text, indented sections, screenshots, pictures, etc. All of those things make an article or blog post more appealing and more enjoyable to read than just plain ol' words on a page. Content-wise, though, I think you done fine. :)

• Like 1

I like colors, bold text, indented sections, screenshots, pictures, etc. All of those things make an article or blog post more appealing and more enjoyable to read than just plain ol' words on a page. Content-wise, though, I think you done fine. :)

I spent a lot of time taking screenshots and pasting into the appropriate places, but it wouldn't let me upload. If I recall correctly, it was a 503 error? I assumed the pics were the problem, so I removed them and my changes uploaded just fine. I think screenshots would be the coup d'etat to ice this tutorial. Any ideas how to accomplish that? What is a server 503 error, and how do I get around that? Perhaps if I upload 1 screenshot, save the post, upload #2, save the post, etc....

Guest LilBambi

I was assuming he was trying to upload them because he said that and he got a server 503 error (service unavailable error). Uploading images is not an option except for Avatars.

If my assumption was incorrect Hedon, please let us know.

Edited by LilBambi

I was taking my screenshot, copying to clipboard, and right-click-pasting into body of edited post. Does clicking "img" icon get me past the 503 server error, or is that just an icon to approximate right-click-paste from clipboard? I can live with the tutorial in it's current iteration, but I'd prefer to add screenshots to tie it all together.

securitybreach

You cannot upload a picture directly to the forum. You must upload it to imgur.com or similar and then click the img icon. A dialog will pop up asking for the url to the image. Paste the url and it will insert the image.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, no pasting/uploading of pictures from your computer. Have to upload to imgur.com or similar as Josh and I have noted.

Then, click the imgicon.jpg icon as Josh showed to paste the url from imgur.com.

Note if you use the bbcode link, you would just post that url directly into the posting:

[img=http://i.imgur.com/S6YIv5F.jpg]

Guest LilBambi

You will see these links on imgur.com on the right hand side after you upload an image from your computer:

imgurlinks.jpg

The BBCode (message boards & forums) is the one you want that has the img code around the image link if you want to just post the correct code directly into the posting without having to click on the imgicon.jpg in the bottom row of the posting toolbar above.

Ok. I don't have an imgur.com account, and not sure if I want to set one up for just this one purpose. Could I do this with any online hosting account, such as UbuntuOne, Dropbox, GoogleDocs, etc...? Or must it be imgur.com?

Guest LilBambi

I don't have an imgur account either. I still upload pics and post them to the site here. Just have to make sure you get the link before leaving the page on imgur if you don't have an account.

Yes, you can use public folder for dropbox and get the public link and post that in the image code. I did that earlier. Or any other image posting account, or your own account as long as a direct public link to the image fine is available.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hedon James, please try to use an image server like PhotoBucket, ImageShack, Imgur or any other that will remain online and viable. I say this because if you use something temporary or not-too-dependable, we could lose the images in your tutorial down the road sometime. That wouldn't be good. :(

• Like 2

I use Imageshack, it's pretty reliable and registration is free and almost instant as are the others mentioned.

@Hedon James - I did like the tutorial but you asked for criticism. I was really scratching to find any. :) Pictures would indeed take it to another level.

I use Imageshack, it's pretty reliable and registration is free and almost instant as are the others mentioned.

@Hedon James - I did like the tutorial but you asked for criticism. I was really scratching to find any. :) Pictures would indeed take it to another level.

No worries sunrat! I did indeed ask, and you did provide...it's all good! I'll work on the pics/screenshots later this week, when I have enough time to do it properly. Right now, I'm banging up against some year-end deadlines for the 9-5. Stay tuned...