New Thunderbird Icons!!

Neil P

It looks great!I wish i was that artistically inclined B)
Me too sonic, his work is amazing. I don't have the creativity to do any kind of graphics beyond cropping an image! :w00t: but I'm glad there are people out there who do such amazing work.

wow! The Firefox icons are real beauties...Even at 32x32, they are easily distinguishable. However, the thunderbird icon doesn't look too clear at 32x32 or less..Btw, whats the point of 128x128? Does Windows use such huge icons? IMHO, the thunderbird could use more color...

Guest LilBambi

You're new avatar looks great Ryan!I agree when it gets real tiny it's hard to make it out clearly (and it's so beautiful at avatar size), but most icons are like that, especially if you've seen them larger and see how great they look. B)

SonicDragon
Btw, whats the point of 128x128? Does Windows use such huge icons?
I don't think so. I think it's just a matter of taste. Or... vision B) Some people have a hard time seeing small stuff on the screen and some just like the icons big i guess.

I THINK that Mac OS X uses 128x128 icons. In the Dock? (if thats what its called)I'm fairly sure thats why they put them at 128x128. I also agree that they aren't very distinguishable at 32x32 (and especially at 16x16, which Windows uses in quick launch). Someone somehwere (I think maybe on the comments somewhere B) ) said that icons should be designed small and then scaled up, rather than designed large and scaled down. I like this, but I don't know how hard that would be, from a design standpoint. 16x16 doesn't afford much detail.

SonicDragon
I THINK that Mac OS X uses 128x128 icons. In the Dock? (if thats what its called)
Humm, maybe. But you can change the dock size. But i think you may be right. OS X does seem to have big icons B)

I THINK that Mac OS X uses 128x128 icons. In the Dock? (if thats what its called)I'm fairly sure thats why they put them at 128x128. I also agree that they aren't very distinguishable at 32x32 (and especially at 16x16, which Windows uses in quick launch). Someone somehwere (I think maybe on the comments somewhere  B) ) said that icons should be designed small and then scaled up, rather than designed large and scaled down. I like this, but I don't know how hard that would be, from a design standpoint. 16x16 doesn't afford much detail.
Chiming in on the Max OS connection...Yes, the Mac OS can us the 128x128 icon versions throughout the Finder, and also in the Dock (only when you have it set to the maximum magnification which is (unrealistic).Windows users who use 3rd party apps can use 128x128 icons also... so it's not just limited to the Mac OS.About starting small and scaling up, thats the best way to get the 16x16, 24x24, and 32x32 image sizes.I downloaded the latest build and I agree the smaller ones don't look that great, but the icon is just as awesome as the new FireFox icon.

Nope. The icons aren't very distinguishable at 16x16 size... I'm surprised that the artists didn't make an independent one for the 16x16 like the FireFox icon was done. I'm sure it will be updated. It is an awesome icon! :whistling:

Edited by Arena2045

Here is a graphical representation of the 4 sizes in at least the Mac OS icon set.128x12848x4832x3216x16The snapshot is that of the preview drawer so they are blown up, but you can see how much more pixilated the 16x16 is from the above size settings:SnapzProXScreenSnapz001.pngAlso, the artists picture of the final icons avb at his site, shows the complete size for size versions and an extra large version which is about 222x240.