Can a Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H boot itself out of the blue?

marcos9999

Home made computer. Performs beautifully but one glitch, it boot itself at the most random times. I shut it down, sometimes reboot in 2 min. or 15min., 2hs, 8hs just randomly as if someone went there and pushed the button. I removed the power switch wire from MB and stopped so I concluded it was a short on the front panel of my Antec 1200. Took it down to Fremont CA, their actual costumer support center, replaced the top part (I think they did, I didn't see it). Came home and the same problem, my question(s) are?

Could the MB reboot itself randomly like that? Should I still suspect the case is bad. How can I further test the case? Does anyone know of a similar case? Why it didn't happen when I removed the power switch? Maybe because I turned the PSU off and then on again? Lot's of head scratching here...

Will call Gigabyte and see if they can offer any clues. I guess the final test will have to be: buy an new MB (a better one) and see what happens

Any stabbers are greatly appreciated?

Edited by marcos9999

Have you disabled all the startup options in the BIOS.

The ones I mean are for remote startup, startup from mouse, startup from keyboard, startup from network, startup after power failure, etc.

Just a stab in the dark, but I would try disabling all such entries.

Look around, sometimes they aren't all on the same screen in BIOS.

Good luck.

Home made computer. Performs beautifully but one glitch, it boot itself at the most random times. I shut it down, sometimes reboot in 2 min. or 15min., 2hs, 8hs just randomly as if someone went there and pushed the button. I removed the power switch wire from MB and stopped so I concluded it was a short on the front panel of my Antec 1200. Took it down to Fremont CA, their actual costumer support center, replaced the top part (I think they did, I didn't see it). Came home and the same problem, my question(s) are?

Could the MB reboot itself randomly like that? Should I still suspect the case is bad. How can I further test the case? Does anyone know of a similar case? Why it didn't happen when I removed the power switch? Maybe because I turned the PSU off and then on again? Lot's of head scratching here...

Will call Gigabyte and see if they can offer any clues. I guess the final test will have to be: buy an new MB (a better one) and see what happens

Any stabbers are greatly appreciated?

To test it, connect the reset button to the power sw connections on the MB and see if you can turn it on using the reset button. If that works without it turning on by itself, then it pretty much has to be a problem with the power button.

To test it, connect the reset button to the power sw connections on the MB and see if you can turn it on using the reset button. If that works without it turning on by itself, then it pretty much has to be a problem with the power button.

Thanks...that is a good idea...chances of having a short on the reset wire are slim since it never booted while on...will try

Nope it wasn't the case...I think there might be a setting on BIOS or an update which might resolve this

Edited by marcos9999