Slackware articles through the ages.

abarbarian

Salix 15.0 Is Here, A Ready-Made Slackware-based Desktop

Slackware is a legendary Linux distribution that seems to have risen from the ashes with version 15 after a long slumber. However, user-friendliness has never been one of its strong points.

This is where Salix Linux comes into play – a lightweight, easy-to-use, with stability in mind Slackware-based desktop-oriented Linux distro. However, it is unlikely to be familiar to the average Linux user.

And now, seven months after the official release of Slackware 15, and six years after its latest stable release, 14.2, Salix 15.0 is finally here. So let’s see what’s changed.

😎

• +1 1

How to Install Slackware Linux 15: A Full Step-by-Step Guide

This comprehensive step-by-step guide will show you how to install Slackware Linux to get started quickly on becoming a Slackware expert.

Slackware is the oldest actively maintained Linux distro. Its first release dated back in July 1993, almost 29 years ago. But what’s really amazing is that even after 29 years, Slackware is still Slackware. I mean that the installation process and wizard appear to be the same. The method of operation remains unchanged.

So, Slackware is a fantastic Linux distro, but many people do not use it since it is difficult to install. Moreover, you will often hear that this is a distro targeted the advanced Linux users.

Well, I will not argue whether this is true or not. But I will show you how easy it is to install Slackware Linux and get started with it. So let our Slackware installation journey begin.

😁

• +1 2

• 2 weeks later...

In the west we tend to forget how important penguins are in the rest of the world. Here are a couple of Salix videos. The first is done on fairly modern kit and was produced in Sept 2022.

Review Salix 15 revisión en Español. Slackware para usuarios comodos

The second video and for me the most interesting was once again done in Sept 2022 was showcasing Salix running on very low powered kit.

HARDWARE: MiniPortatil msi U-100 CPU: Intel Atom N270 (2) 1.6 GHz RAM: 2 GB DDR2

Salix OS Linux 32 bits - Basada en Slackware [Prueba de Desempeño en msi u100]

😎

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
abarbarian

How to Install Slackware Linux 15: A Full Step-by-Step Guide

Slackware is the oldest actively maintained Linux distro. Its first release dated back in July 1993, almost 29 years ago. But what’s really amazing is that even after 29 years, Slackware is still Slackware.

Slackware is an independent Linux distro developed by Patrick Volkerding that doesn’t follow any particular period to release a new version like Ubuntu or rolling release distros. Instead, building Slackware aims to give exceptional stability, so there isn’t a new version released every year.

Last but not least, please consider supporting Patrick and his family by visiting his Patreon Page, choosing a membership category, and becoming a Patron. More on the topic here: Donating to Slackware.

One of the comments from the article

Now, for the best part:

Everything I setup on that laptop five years ago still runs today, perfect as the first day. Reliability, durability, stability. No sudden updates to mess up your workflow. No sudden antivirus issue. No change in how the system loads, what it loads (or not) and how it responds to you, the user, the way you want it to.

I can’t imagine a more stable and reliable workstation, once setup, than a Slackware. You press the power button, the system loads, and you can go to work. When finished, you shut it down and that’s that. Rinse, repeat, and after 40 years of that go retire.

No BS, just work done.

The Slackware Linux Project - main site

Hey folks! It's been a long time, but as usual we had to get everything just exactly perfect, and you just can't rush that. We are very happy to announce the availability of the new Slackware 15.0 stable release. There have been way too many changes to even begin to cover them here, but for our dedicated user base suffice to say that you'll find things modern but also familiar. We've gone with the 5.15.19 Linux kernel (part of the 5.15.x kernel series that will be getting long-term support from the kernel developers). You'll also enjoy a refreshed desktop experience including the KDE Plasma 25th Anniversary Edition with support for Wayland sessions.

Thanks to the Slackware team for all the hard work on getting Slackware 15.0 ready. And of course, thanks to all the open source developers upstream, and to the Slackware community on linuxquestions.org for all the help with bug reports, suggestions, and patches. We couldn't have done it without you.

Enjoy the new stable release!

Pat and the Slackware crew

A fine example of open source and the KISS principle. :worthy::hug:

• +1 1

securitybreach
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Apparently he is thinking about it. 😂

Oh, so like the SSD drive... ;)

V.T. Eric Layton
17 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Perhaps its time Eric ;)

Nah... I don't have any issues with Slackware 15 itself (the OS), but the newest version of Xfce has some changes that I definitely do NOT like... "client side decorations". :(

Xfce 4.16 will look a little different to long time users when it arrives later this year, as the popular desktop environment is adopting client side decoration by default.*

*https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.16/roadmap/general_ui/csd

It's UGLY as H3LL, in my opinion and doesn't allow me to customize as I normally would. That's been my one major reason for not upgrading to Slackware 15. And yes, I know I'll probably have to bite the bullet and do it, eventually. :(

• Like 1

abarbarian
16 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

That's been my one major reason for not upgrading to Slackware 15.

Now if you used Window Maker you would have stability as it has not changed in years and probably never will. So any customization's you make will stay with you forever. :yes:

• Like 1

Hedon James
On 5/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Nah... I don't have any issues with Slackware 15 itself (the OS), but the newest version of Xfce has some changes that I definitely do NOT like... "client side decorations". :(

*https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.16/roadmap/general_ui/csd

It's UGLY as H3LL, in my opinion and doesn't allow me to customize as I normally would. That's been my one major reason for not upgrading to Slackware 15. And yes, I know I'll probably have to bite the bullet and do it, eventually. :(

Why not just swap out the window manager (XFWM4?) for something else more to your preference?  Openbox, Fluxbox, PekWM, or maybe even Window Maker?  As far as I know, ALL of them will allow your preferences to be copied forward through config files.  It's Linux....you're allowed to change the defaults brother!  😜

• Like 1

abarbarian
16 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

or maybe even Window Maker?

After years of promoting Window Maker I finally have success. Another person is promoting it too. :worthy::clap:

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

Why not just swap out the window manager

Old and lazy. Don't want to tinker with feces like this anymore. I just like it when I click the On button and everything works. I don't like change. ;)

• Agree 1

Hedon James
21 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Old and lazy. Don't want to tinker with feces like this anymore. I just like it when I click the On button and everything works. I don't like change. ;)

I hear ya on that.  Nothing is more irritating to me than getting my 'puter EXACTLY how I want it, only for an update or upgrade to "break" something or outright remove it.  I was a hardcore Gnomie until they started "removing" things that I wanted, without asking what I wanted.  That smacks of Microsoft, IMO, and I left MS for that reason.

I guess nothing is 100% future proof, but sometimes you gotta say "i'm going to do this ONE more time, so that i don't have to do it ever again?!"  My Fluxbox config hasn't changed in about 10+ years, even though my version did get bumped from 1.3.5 to 1.3.7, before reverting back to 1.3.5 on current Debian 10 stable.  I'll soon have to upgrade my system to Debian 11, and then probably 12, which I suspect will pull my Fluxbox to version 1.3.7 again.  But I've been using the same Fluxbox config pretty much since the beginning.  I did a lot of tweaks in the beginning, finding out what I like, but I haven't tweaked it in at least 7+ years now.

I suspect Openbox, PekWM, and WM are in that same boat as Flux....supremely stable and fully featured already, so no need to rapidly evolve and increment the versions.  FWIW...

• Like 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, my GNU/Linux adventure started out with Ubuntu and Gnome. I really liked it. Shortly thereafter, though, I became the Slacker I am. Slackware did not support Gnome, so for a short while, I ran a non-Slackware-approved Gnome substitute, but the folks who created/supported it moved on and that was the end of that.

I then started using KDE (at Bruno's suggestion). I really liked KDE... it was very customizable and stable. Unfortunately, some time back (after v3.15, I believe) KDE became a giant over-bloated, complicated pile of horse manure. That was the end of my KDE desktop daze. Went to Xfce, liked it very much due to its simplicity and Gnome-like appearance. Unfortunately, changes have been made lately that I don't care for. Feces occurs...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not really an article but possibly of interest to Slackers. I was hunting on the net for stuff and came across this thread "This is my Slackware desktop." Normally these types of threads are just full of screenshots. Not so the Slackware one, this one is full of quality information on conky set ups and other stuff. What caught my interest was the thread started in 2009 and is still very active in 2023.

More amazingly the thread was started by a Window Maker user in 2009 and there were posts from Window Maker users in 2023. I also came across a very neat Window Maker,Fluxbox and Openbox program that a Slacker had created. I'll post about that in the Window Maker thread when I have tested it out.

Meanwhile enjoy.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/this-is-my-slackware-desktop-725754/

p4GU4rc.png

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/this-is-my-slackware-desktop-725754/page343.html

uMj47lm.png

LLDgGZE.jpg

I know Slackware 15 has been released but .............................................😍

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. I'm quite familiar with that thread at LQ.org. ;)

I rarely participate in "show us your desktop" type threads because mine rarely changes, except for the background (wallpaper) image and theme colors/types. :)

iSzCfnf.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Slackware Linux Turns 30, Happy Birthday!

Slackware Linux creator Patrick Volkerding remembers that it’s been 30 years since he announced the first stable release of what turned out to be the world’s oldest surviving Linux distribution.

That’s right, on July 16th, 1993, Patrick Volkerding announced Slackware Linux 1.00 as the first stable release of an independently developed GNU/Linux distribution as a “complete installation system designed for systems with a 3.5″ boot floppy”.

30 Years of Slackware Linux: A Legacy of Stability and Power

For those who may not be familiar, Slackware Linux holds the distinction of being the world’s oldest surviving Linux distribution. Despite the passing of time, it remains actively maintained and is highly regarded for its exceptional stability. The Slackware team has prioritized both ease of use and stability in the design of this advanced operating system, making it a favourite among many Linux enthusiasts.

Puppy Linux 22.12 (S15Pup) Arrives Based on Slackware 15

Puppy Linux is a super lightweight distro which runs entirely on RAM and requires a very low memory footprint. It is almost loaded with all the necessary applications for everything you need. It is quite remarkable that the Puppy Linux team managed to package all these applications, which run in low memory and surprisingly within 400 MB of ISO size.

The recent release of Puppy Linux 22.12 is based on the Slackware 15.0 components, which were released in February 2022. At its core, the JWM (Joe’s Window Manager) provides flexibility and good performance in Puppy Linux because it runs off the RAM.

Puppy Linux is one of those few distros which still provides a 32-bit installation file alongside 64-bit. You can download this version from the following links for the respective architectures.

:th_1sm198balloons:

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Slackware wasn't the first Linux distro, but it's the oldest still alive and kicking .Who needs a graphical desktop manager anyway?

Version 1.0 of Slackware was announced on the July 16, 1993, and project lead Patrick Volkerding, who still maintains the distribution today, celebrated with a modest announcement:

Hey folks! It's time to acknowledge another one of those milestones… 30 (!) years since I made the post linked below announcing Slackware's first stable release after months of beta testing. Thanks to all of our dedicated contributors, loyal users, and those who have helped us to keep the lights on here. It's really been a remarkable journey that I couldn't have anticipated starting out back in 1993. Cheers! :-)

😎

• Like 2

securitybreach
1 hour ago, crp said:

Slackware was before RedHat? 

Yup Slackware is the oldest surviving linux distro, debian came a couple of months later.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Slackware = July 17th 1993

Debian = September 15, 1993

Redhat = May 13th 1995

And Archlinux = March 11th, 2002

• Like 1
  • +1 1

On 7/30/2023 at 5:02 PM, securitybreach said:

Slackware = July 17th 1993

Debian = September 15, 1993

Redhat = May 13th 1995

And Archlinux = March 11th, 2002

That doesn't look correct. RedHat had releases before 1995.

ah, the releases before 1995 were not under the RedHat name.

Edited by crp
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
9 hours ago, crp said:

That doesn't look correct. RedHat had releases before 1995.

ah, the releases before 1995 were not under the RedHat name.

Yeah, I had put another date until I realized that the first release of Redhat was 1995

Early releases of Red Hat Linux were called Red Hat Commercial Linux. Red Hat published the first non-beta release in May 1995.[2][3] It was the first Linux distribution to use the RPM Package Manager as its packaging format, and over time has served as the starting point for several other distributions, such as Mandriva Linux and Yellow Dog Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux

Redhat later renamed themselves Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) in 2004.

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Yeah, I had put another date until I realized that the first release of Redhat was 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux

Redhat later renamed themselves Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) in 2004.

There was a release before '95. it was a big deal that the '95 release was doable as an inplace update. Whatever the name was before '95 , i was using it in '93 as a contractor at the DoD and hobbying it at home. 

securitybreach
9 hours ago, crp said:

There was a release before '95. it was a big deal that the '95 release was doable as an inplace update. Whatever the name was before '95 , i was using it in '93 as a contractor at the DoD and hobbying it at home. 

"Early releases of Red Hat Linux were called Red Hat Commercial Linux. Red Hat published the first non-beta release in May 1995"

• 6 months later...
abarbarian

Slackel 7.7 “MATE” Edition: New Features

Slackel 7.7 “MATE” Edition has officially arrived, bringing some exciting new features and improvements to your favourite lightweight distro. This release is coming after seven months and features a key change after a decade. I will talk about it a little later.

For those who are not aware, Slackel is a Linux distribution based on Slackware and includes tools borrowed from Salix. It is fully compatible with Slackware, but the difference is that it includes the current version of Slackware.

slackel downloads

I have downloaded it and will give it a try out from my Ventoy USB stick. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

abarbarian

Well I downloaded Slackel and added it to my Ventoy usb. Booted up and started the live version. Booting into the live version did not take very long and I was at a workable desktop in short order.

Internet through an ethernet cable was automatic and Firefox started quickly and with no problems. In fact all the programs I tried started quickly and all worked as they should.All my Arch drives were picked up and accessible automatically. Video played from a file on one of the Arch drives played smoothly and once again the program opened swiftly.

All in all I was pretty impressed with the way Slackel was set up and the way it ran from the old USB 2 drive that I have Ventoy running on. I was even more impressed when given the option to use UK English rather than USA English on start up.

Slackel is well worth a try out in my humble opinion.

😋

CDbnRDu.png

OkQmwdr.png

FEwyWmD.png

pfJj0SD.png

Nosfpyw.png

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hedon James

ahhhh......that looks like the old Gnome2 desktop that I fell in love with and sealed the deal to jump from Win to Linux, with Gnome DE!  Or is it Mate?  If Slackel is as "currrent" as I expect, I'll bet that's a Mate desktop....doing a FANTASTIC job looking like Gnome2.

Side note.....when I started auditioning new desktops, I was torn between LXQT and Mate.  I ran both in VMs for an extended period, and had both configured EXACTLY how I wanted them....and BOTH were fantastic.  The ultimate decider was that LXQT ran OpenBox as default WM, while Mate was Mutter(?).  Of course they could both be changed, but LXQT provided a drop down menu to select your WM at next boot, while Mate required the changing of a hidden Gnome setting using the CLI.  Inasmuch as I had recently discovered Fluxbox, and then Pek, I was keen to be able to switch WMs seamlessly, on a whim, until a favorite emerged.  LXQT got the nod due to that single feature!

Nowadays, I have long since settled on Flux (at least until Wayland/Flux compatibility becomes an issue?!), so I could easily revert to Mate, set my WM to Flux and configure the DE exactly how I wanted it...and be happy about it.  What's the moral of the story here.....CHOICE MATTERS!  I'm looking squarely at you, Gnome Devs......Gnome2 was the domino that facilitated the Win7-switchover, and I was a HARD-CORE Gnomie for that reason!  But then they started removing features from my easy access, all in the name of "progress", and that sounded like Microsoft to me....no thanks....I ditched Gnome, and I can't imagine a circumstance that would encourage me to return.  Never say never.....but probably have lost this user forever.  It's MY computer....let ME choose how I want it.

You almost had me Mate!  Just needed 1 more feature to be easily accessible....FWIW!