Slackware articles through the ages.

abarbarian

Yup, good ole Pat. Even outside of being "Benevolent Dictator for Life" of Slackware, he is a pretty cool dude:

Volkerding is a Deadhead, and even by April 1994 he had already attended 75 concerts.

Volkerding is a Church of the SubGenius affiliate/member. The use of the word slack in "Slackware" is a homage to J. R. "Bob" Dobbs. About the SubGenius influence on Slackware, Volkerding has stated: "I'll admit that it was SubGenius inspired. In fact, back in the 2.0 through 3.0 days we used to print a dobbshead on each CD."

Volkerding is an avid homebrewer and beer lover. Early versions of Slackware would entreat users to send him a bottle of local beer in appreciation for his work.

https://en.wikipedia...rick_Volkerding

This article MAY be about Volkerding, but it sounds like it's about VT Eric Layton? Are they related? :whistling:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Zorin is a paid Linux now???

Zorin Core is free but Zorin Ultimate costs 12 bucks: https://zorinos.com/download/

Yup, good ole Pat. Even outside of being "Benevolent Dictator for Life" of Slackware, he is a pretty cool dude:

Volkerding is a Deadhead, and even by April 1994 he had already attended 75 concerts.

Volkerding is a Church of the SubGenius affiliate/member. The use of the word slack in "Slackware" is a homage to J. R. "Bob" Dobbs. About the SubGenius influence on Slackware, Volkerding has stated: "I'll admit that it was SubGenius inspired. In fact, back in the 2.0 through 3.0 days we used to print a dobbshead on each CD."

Volkerding is an avid homebrewer and beer lover. Early versions of Slackware would entreat users to send him a bottle of local beer in appreciation for his work.

https://en.wikipedia...rick_Volkerding

This article MAY be about Volkerding, but it sounds like it's about VT Eric Layton? Are they related? :whistling:

Hehehe, right :hysterical:

• Like 1

Zorin is a paid Linux now???

I was trying to think of a couple of other paid for linux os's but me mind went blank and I did a super quick search for paid ones hence the mistake. :'(

By the way are you related to Pat ? :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, about sounding like that article was about me...

I've never been a big fan of The Grateful Dead. I think I liked one of their songs once...

I don't do ANYTHING involving any kind of churches.

And...

I can't stand beer. Jack Daniels was my alternate reality of choice back in the old daze. Nowadays, I drink coffee, iced tea, and KoolAid (made with Splenda).

And no... I'm not related to The BDFL. I do bow to him before logging in to Slackware, though. :worthy:

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 2

Ummm! Don't like The Grateful dead ... Dazza shame ... I sit at the kit and play along with their music sometimes and always feel a good bit better afterwards . They bring back really great memories from the old days . Along with music from The Big Pink .

Still different points of view are good for the overall matrix of ideas

• Like 3

And no... I'm not related to The BDFL. I do bow to him before logging in to Slackware, though. :worthy:.

A video of that on You Tube would be an instant hit I recon and a good loot raiser if shot well. :Laughing:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Alien’s ARM

When in the course of 2011 it became apparent that Netbooks saw interesting sales figures, especially the low-powered Atom netbooks, often running some form of Linux, it was only natural that hardware vendors started talking about even lower-power portable devices. I was thrilled by the fact that an ARM powered laptop could be launched in 2012, and when the Raspberry Pi story began in earnest at the end of that year, I decided that I needed to do a port of Slackware to the ARM architecure in order to be prepared for the flood of cool devices. But hey! I hear you say… an ARM port of Slackware already exists! Yes indeed,

Unfortunately, being the sole provider of income for my family and with a job that pays average, and without pay raises for a long time, I just do not have the financial room to buy a 300 euro laptop just to hack on it. That’s when I decided to ask for some financial backing.

Raising the Money to buy a real Device

What I did not expect to happen… I asked for 300 euros and lots of people donated in the 24 hours that followed. One of those donations was 299 euros (!) which was in itself enough to reach my goal. The supporters who left me a message basically said “do what you like with the money”

Although this blog post is almost a decade old I feel that it showcases all that is great about the open source world we inhabit. :Laie_95:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Slackware for the next decade2020/01/29

There are a number of things I catch myself going back to, such as Movies - “The thing”, “Alien”, “LOTR”; Books - “Tolkien” and software - “Slackware” (to say the least). No matter how far I wander off in the Linux scene, I somehow end up back to the same old up-to-date, reliable and ever lasting Slackware. There is just something odd in using this specific Linux distribution that I find contentment in. Regardless how complicated it might seem (not!), the stability it provides is just invaluable.

Slackware is a do-it-yourself-all type of distribution. Most of the tweaking and installing will require the user to search over forums and documentation (and you’ll get to know your Linux very well).

What you get in return is a system you understand and know what software is running with - no black box magic here! The posts will follow the same Slackware thinking, so I will avoid writing fully detailed guides.

Progress of this series will probably continue with setting up mail, sboinstall and alike.

Slackware articles are a tad thin on the ground but this one looks a promising  one to follow for any newcomer to this fine os.

😎

• Like 2
  • +1 1

11 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Nice, must of been written by Eric... B)

Nope it was this guy unless Eric is going incognito,

Who is orbjet.org? - my name is Alen and I’ve been pushing and clicking buttons professionaly since 2003!
Living and working in Sweden swe - Hej!

Its a shame Eric does not do articles I bet they would be fun and informative. I recon they would pay reasonably well too. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, abarbarian said:

...pay reasonably well...

People pay for stuff like this?

Anyway, I'm not sure who that fellow is. Excellent article, though. :)

• 5 months later...
abarbarian

Slackel Linux Works Well Inside Its Openbox

Slackel, based in Greece, is a Linux distro a step away from the typical mainstream Debian-based Linux OS line. Based on Slackware and Salix, the distro is fully compatible with both Slackware and Salix software repositories.

That combination gives Slackel Linux a better range of software. Slackware-based distros typically have far smaller software repositories than do Debian-based distros and others. Think in terms of a few thousand packages compared to 35,000.

Might be of passing interest to quite a few folk here as it utilises Openbox. Oh and the ODD (do you get the play on words here) Slackware user. 🤣

Edited by abarbarian
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

abarbarian
1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Sounds like a neat project :thumbsup:

Yeah I am downloading it now, but is so so slow 228kB/sec. They must have slow internet in Greece , sum , sea,😎 and slow internet.

securitybreach
9 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Yeah I am downloading it now, but is so so slow 228kB/sec. They must have slow internet in Greece , sum , sea,😎 and slow internet.

It must your internet as I just downloaded it in less than 2 minutes at 28 MB/s.

• 1 year later...

Up for a Challenge? Try These ‘Advanced’ Linux Distros [Not Based on Debian, Arch or Red Hat]

Came across this interesting article yesterday. What caught my eye and attention was this,

"You’ll notice that most of them originate from Debian/Ubuntu, Arch and Red Hat/Fedora. If you like distrohopping and experiment with a range of distributions, you may soon get ‘bored’ out of it. Most Linux distributions would feel too similar after a point and apart from a few visual changes here and there, you won’t get a different experience.

Does that sound familiar? If yes, let me list some advanced, independent, Linux distributions to test your expertise."

The heading to the main section says it all,

Advanced Linux distributions for experts

and guess what you find there

"Slackware

slackware Slackware Linux illustration

The oldest active Linux distribution, Slackware, can surely be counted as an expert Linux distribution.

Which is amusing because once upon a time, many new Linux users started their Linux journey with Slackware."

Not as amusing as his next sentence.

"But that was back in the mid-90s and it is safe to assume that those newbies have turned into veteran with their neck beard touching the ground."

Remind you of anyone ? 😜

• +1 1

• 3 weeks later...

Slackware 15.0 Coming Soon With RC1 Released

While Slackware is one of the oldest still-maintained Linux distributions out there, it doesn't often see new updates and doesn't have nearly the manpower of more modern alternatives. It's been nearly one decade since Slackware 14 but Slackware 15 is about to ship.

Back in February marked the release of Slackware 15.0 Alpha and then in April was the Slackware 15.0 Beta. Now in August is the first release candidate of Slackware 15.0 while the stable release shouldn't be too far out.

😎

V.T. Eric Layton

I ran Current for a while a few weeks ago. I didn't like quite a few things, mostly changes in Xfce and Mozilla Thunderbird. For this reason, I may just stick with 14.2 for the foreseeable future.

• +1 1

• 5 months later...

Zenwalk 15 Released For Slackware

Zenwalk 15 makes use of Xfce 4.16 for its desktop environment with various customizations. Of their desktop customizations they write, "this unusual NEXT/Windowmaker inspired dock system, with unique panel placement for ergonomic user access to the whole desktop area, is optimized for modern wide screens, making most other OS including [Apple] look a bit deprecated (jokin' of course))."

Kudos to them for the Window Maker stuff but why the heck did they not just use Window Maker instead of Xfce. 🤔

The official Zenwalk GNU Linux website

"this unusual NEXT/Windowmaker inspired dock system, with unique panel placement for ergonomic user access to the whole desktop area. This one of a kind desktop is optimized for modern wide screens ! 

What you get is a pure Slackware system with the following main changes :

- Focused on Desktop usage, XFCE and Chromium based 

- Just one app for each task, latest version of the most user-friendly apps

- Optimized in size / RAM footprint : Zenwalk is very fast on latest hardware and can even run fast on old PCs

- Flatpak and AppImage ready (almost all existing apps can be installed either via right-clicking on AppImg or flatpakref file)

- Automated packages updates (daily check at startup)

- Simplified setup with no nonsense animated pink ponies

Since 18 years : Zenwalk has always been a non profit project : all contributions and donations go to the Slackware Project. We all love that OS and want to thank Pat Volkerding for his fantastic work over the years (note : Pat has an enormous stock of Slack tee-shirts and other cool goodies to sell :p)."

Any distro that uses Window Maker stuff just has to be the bees knees an thank goodness no pink ponies.  😋

• +1 1