Arch linux articles through the ages.

abarbarian

Garuda Linux Provides a Hassle-free Arch Experience With a Beautiful Neon Look [Review with Video]

This is a most interesting Arch derivative. Personally the video that comes with this article is pants. it jumps around quicker than a cat on a hot tin roof.

GARUDA HOME SITE

One aspect of garuda I think is brilliant is the backup before doing an update feature built in to the os. Not so sure about the btrfs file system use though.

GARUDA DOWNLOADS

There are a heap of already configures choices along with a couple of base ones.

GARUDA STARTPAGE

This is a very interesting part of the Garuda site. They offer some very useful looking services. I tired out the SEARX and WHOOGLE offerings and they worked well. The SEARX option was almost as good a s a standard Google search.

All in all Garuda is well worth a few moments of your time. 😎

V.T. Eric Layton
On 2/8/2021 at 11:21 PM, arindam said:

Probably late to the party.

Never late. Scot's is not as busy as it once was, but there are still a few of us hanging around here. Welcome to our humble home!

• 1 month later...

That article mentions the Arch Linux Archive, which I wasn't aware of before. Also, the author's comments about Arch's "reliability" sound similar to what I've experienced here -- quite remarkable, especially for a rolling-release distro.

securitybreach
39 minutes ago, saturnian said:

That article mentions the Arch Linux Archive, which I wasn't aware of before. Also, the author's comments about Arch's "reliability" sound similar to what I've experienced here -- quite remarkable, especially for a rolling-release distro.

Well Arch only uses the latest stable versions of packages so while it is a rolling release, it' s not like you get beta or git packages but they are available in the AUR.

15 hours ago, saturnian said:

Good stuff in this article, about openSUSE as well as about Arch: https://www.ordinatechnic.com/specials/1/Best/2/Distributions/best-distribution-of-2020

Excellent article. I have to agree with the reliability of Arch. As long as you take note of the update notes you should never encounter a problem.

Only time my Arch rig has gone bottom up is when I have fiddled and fiddled and fiddled it to death. 😂

Arch on the rails has always been stable for me. The only time I have had problems was when installing it as a guest in VBox under Windows 10. This may have something to do with Microsoft Device Guard. This is something similar to Secure Boot for virtual machines.

• +1 1

securitybreach
8 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

Sorry to hear that Josh. Hope you are doing OK.

Yeah, I am good. One of my cousin overdosed on drugs. I wasn't close to this cousin but she was one of my first cousins (I have a lot). We'll be burying her in a few hours. I will be a pallbearer.

• Sad 1

My take:

• You should do the Arch install from the Wiki at least once. I can't think of a better way to learn about how Arch Linux works.
  • Once you have learned as much as you can, and the install is routine and works every time, then maybe try a script. I did this recently and it helped avoid typing errors in the CLI.
  • The scripts I tried were frankly more useful in setting up the DE and applications. They made sure I didn't miss anything useful.
  • At the end of a day, with a script you just follow along through the Wiki steps and end up with a working Arch system.
  • I guess it depends if you believe the end justifies the means, or whether Arch is all about the journey not the destination.
Edited by raymac46
  • Agree 2

securitybreach

It's text based and it just helps you with locale and partitioning along with a couple of other things. Not a full install by any means

securitybreach

This installer will perform the following:

• Prompt the user to select a disk and disk-password
  • Proceed to wipe the selected disk with a GPT partition table.
  • Sets up a default 100% used disk with encryption.
  • Installs a basic instance of Arch Linux (base base-devel linux linux-firmware btrfs-progs efibootmgr)
  • Installs and configures a bootloader to partition 0.
  • Install additional packages (nano, wget, git)
  • Installs a network-profile called workstation (more on network profiles in the do

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/mi16if/arch_linux_news_installation_medium_with_installer/gt2essq?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
abarbarian

HOW TO: Install Vanilla Arch Linux Using the Calamares Installer January 23, 2021

Arch is a fantastic Linux distro. From being a rolling release to its stability, to the Pacman package manager and AUR. Not to mention the Arch Wiki. However, the lack of a default GUI installer drives users away to other Arch-based distros like Manjaro and ArcoLinux.

But if you want to run pure Arch, you can either follow the installation guide or use an installer like Anarchy, Zen or ezarch. Another way, a more familiar way for most users, is the Calam Arch Installer which allows you to install vanilla Arch Linux using the Calamares installer.

Calam Arch Installer Features:

• Supports Legacy-Bios and UEFI
  • DE choices: Xfce, Gnome, Plasma,Cinnamon, Budgie, Openbox, I3, Mate and Deepin
  • Enabled multilib+pamac
  • Supports LUKS
  • Rolling

HOW TO: Easily Install Arch Linux Using EZarch Install Script   May 27, 2020  

Zen Installer  A Graphical Installer for Arch Linux

Anarchy installer

😎

Edited by abarbarian

The archfi & archdi script worked fine for me. All they do is follow the sequence of steps to install Arch with the bonus that I can't screw things up with bad typing. I still needed to know what I was doing, but that is a good feature when it comes to any Linux install.

• +1 1

• 2 weeks later...
abarbarian

He he you can easily run Arch alongside any other linux os.

Archbox Makes It Easy To Install Software From Arch Linux On Other Linux Distributions (Using A Chroot Environment)

https://github.com/lemniskett/archbox

Archbox Arch Linux

Archbox is a set of scripts that make it easy to install Arch Linux inside a chroot environment on other Linux distributions, and integrate it with your existing Linux installation.

The developer notes that this was created to make the Arch Linux repositories and AUR available on other Linux distributions:

Ever since I'm running some niche distros like Void, Solus, I had a problem finding software I need in their not-so-large repositories, also I don't like how flatpak and snap work. So i decided to create an Arch Linux chroot environment everytime I distrohop. Why Arch Linux? They have really, really good repositories, oh and don't mention how big AUR is.

So using this, you'll be able to install and use any Arch Linux package, be it from the official repositories or AUR, on other Linux distributions, and integrate it with your current Linux installation. All, without losing any performance since this is running on the host kernel.

😎

abarbarian
13 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

So basically just respins using Archiso

Not really sure about that. Hefftor uses the calameres installer. However the Archcraft seems to be a bit different.

Archcraft OS is a free and open-source operating system (OS) based on Arch Linux. Developed by a single person, this Linux distribution promises to be “pure” Arch as in – it is exact same as vanilla Arch Linux install.

The primary difference this distro makes is it only features OpenBox window manager (WM) and has no desktop environment. The Openbox gives a very minimal memory footprint and computing power – enables you to enjoy more RAM and CPU in the same hardware.

The user interface is beautiful with pre-installed Openbox themes and nice wallpapers. It gives you the ability to configure Openbox with pre-installed settings managers.

😎

• 2 weeks later...

Overcoming Your Terror of Arch Linux

A recent episode of a Linux news podcast I keep up with featured an interview with a journalist who had written a piece for a non-Linux audience about giving it a try. It was surprisingly widely read. The writer’s experience with some of the more popular desktop distributions had been overwhelmingly positive, and he said as much in his piece and during the subsequent podcast interview.

However, when the show’s host asked whether he had tried Arch Linux — partly to gauge the depth of his experimentation and partly as a joke — the journalist immediately and unequivocally dismissed the idea, as if it were obviously preposterous.

Although that reaction came from an enthusiastic Linux novice, it is one that is not uncommon even among seasoned Linux users. Hearing it resurface in the podcast got me contemplating why that is — as I am someone who is comfortable with and deeply respects Arch.

😎