Arch linux articles through the ages.

abarbarian

9 of The Best Linux Distros in 2020

Customization: Arch Linux

"Arch Linux has grown to become one of the leading Linux distros since its launch back in 2002. The distro is very minimal in its default state, but offers an unbridled level of customization for the more experienced user.

There’s no default desktop environment, so you can choose or create one that’s best suited to your personal tastes and the power of your PC. The minimum requirements of Arch Linux are a modest 512MB RAM and an x64 CPU.

It’s not the simplest of Linux distros to get your head around, given how much it leaves in the user’s hands to figure, but the documentation is very good, and the sporadic nature of new releases means your custom-tweaked desktop environment won’t deprecate quickly.

For more in-depth details on this great distro, check out our Arch Linux review."

Simplicity: MX Linux

"Describing itself as a “midweight” Linux distro, MX Linux runs like a dream even on lower-end PCs, and its fairly minimal starting setup makes it a favorite among developers. Yes, its default XFCE desktop environment may look a little dated next to more renowned distros like Ubuntu, but there’s something to be said for keeping things simple.

The important stuff is never more than a couple of clicks away in MX Linux. The taskbar brings up a menu of MX Tools, which includes crucial things like PC maintenance and setup options for your system sound and keyboard.

The base installation of MX Linux includes a solid bunch of packages that include Firefox, VLC, LibreOffice and GIMP, and you can of course get more through the Synaptic Package Manager, which will point you to the package repositories for MX Linux.

If you want to know more about what we think of this great distro, check out our MX Linux review."

Always nice to see intelligent articles and this one tops the lot as it has my fave os at the top spot and my second fave os in second place. Well done that writer. 😋

An the best of it is he did not need a crystal ball as there is no doubt that both distros will still be in their respective positions at the end of 2020 too 🤣

• Like 1

I'm not going to start a new topic for this as I think Linux fanboiism is silly. It's OT but related to the previous post.

Vote for your favourite Linux - https://opensource.com/article/20/1/favorite-linux-distribution

For Slackware you will have to vote for "I can't believe you didn't include _________ as a choice ". Many of the comments are about how their pet obscure OS is not on the list. But obviously Slack should be on the list. ;) siduction is not there either. I voted for Debian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmmm...

From the comments:

Christof M Bradford on 26 Jan 2020

I'm a Slackware user, and it has been my distro of choice for more than twenty years.

Wow, still no love for Slackware.

Slackware?

Slackware, of course :)

I'm running -current with Plasma5 on top, thanks to the wonderful packaging work of Eric "AlienBOB" Hameleers.

I can't believe you didn't include _Slackware_ as a choice.

I'm sad. :(

securitybreach
26 minutes ago, saturnian said:

Lots of very nice distros omitted from that list, but no Slackware? Wow.

That reminds me of this recent article: https://fosspost.org/analytics/distrowatch-not-measure-for-distributions-popularity

Yeah, it has never meant that. The ranking is only for popularity of distros on that website alone, not what people are actually using.

• Like 2

securitybreach

It's basically counting the views on distrowatch for each distro. So if you visit the entry for a distro on distrowatch, it counts as a vote.

I like to point out that the distros that are actually installed and in use here rarely get any DW page hits from me. Because there's little reason to go to DW for info about them now. For example, it's been years since I clicked on anything about Arch at DW! Manjaro's gotten more DW page hits from me than Arch, and I've never even used Manjaro!

Nice discussion folks but way of topic.

This is a thread about Arch linux articles. Its a fan boy thread and of course I will be blowing the trumpet about my fav distro,

As to DW of course it is no measure of how many installs a os has and of course it relies on click hits for its listings and of course if I notice that my favourite two os's are at the top of the list I'll be blowing my trumpet loud and clear. An of course if there is any mention of Window Maker at DW I'll be hiring a brass band to really sound a fanfare. 😍

• Like 1

securitybreach
19 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Nice discussion folks but way of topic.

This is a thread about Arch linux articles. Its a fan boy thread and of course I will be blowing the trumpet about my fav distro,

As to DW of course it is no measure of how many installs a os has and of course it relies on click hits for its listings and of course if I notice that my favourite two os's are at the top of the list I'll be blowing my trumpet loud and clear. An of course if there is any mention of Window Maker at DW I'll be hiring a brass band to really sound a fanfare. 😍

You mean like this: https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=wmlive

6 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Darn it, I'm skint. I just bought a heap of building supplies and so meds for me hacking chesty cough. An I popped in the local charity shop and scored a Rohan shirt, looks like new, for a mere £6. So I can not hire a band to celebrate Window Maker but I do have a tin whistle I can toot on whilst marching up and down the

https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-shirts-equator-shirt-ss20?ocode=05913N65&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2v7uhvOr5wIVw7TtCh1nYgGYEAQYAiABEgLDa_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

town high street. :th_1sm168massbounce:

Edited by abarbarian
missing link, not the poster
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Install ARCH Linux on ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7 with encrypted filesystem and UEFI 

Most of the instructions are Arch Linux installation generic hence with a simple modifications this tutorial can be used for any UEFI system installations. However, some points are specific to ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7 therefore basic Linux Administration skills are required in case you are installing Arch Linux PC/Laptop other then ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7.

Thought this may be useful even though it is for a specific laptop. 😎

• +1 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Interesting that sytemd's system-boot is used, there is a step by step guide. 😎

How so? I've been using it for years now on most of my machines.

21 hours ago, securitybreach said:

How so? I've been using it for years now on most of my machines.

Interesting as in all the other articles I have read concerning installs seem to use Grub. 😎

• Agree 1

Guest Mauser

While I am not an Arch user I do find their documentation to be the best. Unfortunately Linux developers don't always follow Arch's example of how to create documentation. What's worse are so many in the Linux community defending and promoting shoddy workmanship. I did use Manjaro for a while which was a horrible experience that if I didn't try other Linux distros it would have ended up back with Windows.

• 1 month later...

5 Reasons Why This Linux Gaming OS Is Great For Your Living Room

Love gaming , love Arch , then you really have to give this a whirl.

In a nutshell, GamerOS is an Arch Linux-based operating system that’s streamlined to do one thing very well: run Steam Big Picture. In fact, that’s all it does. There is no desktop environment. Your first boot places you directly into Steam Big Picture and that’s where you’ll live on GamerOS.

I am going to give this a whirl as it sounds like it could be real good fun.

😋

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Cool

Not so cool after all.

Downloaded the .iso and tried to flash with Etcher and it kept throwing an error. Burnt to usb via dd but when trying to boot from it kept getting an error message. Repeated the download etc and got the same result.

Wasted fifteen minutes on a total fail. Cool idea lousy implementation. Deleted the .iso, moving on. 🧐

securitybreach
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Not so cool after all.

Downloaded the .iso and tried to flash with Etcher and it kept throwing an error. Burnt to usb via dd but when trying to boot from it kept getting an error message. Repeated the download etc and got the same result.

Wasted fifteen minutes on a total fail. Cool idea lousy implementation. Deleted the .iso, moving on. 🧐

You must of had a bad download as it booted just fine for me

• 4 weeks later...
abarbarian

SystemRescueCd 6.1 Adds WireGuard Support, Linux Kernel 5.4 LTS

Coming more than a year after the SystemRescueCd 6.0 series, which switched to an Arch Linux base and dropped support for 32-bit kernel and user space programs, SystemRescueCd 6.1 is here with a brand-new kernel that will be supported for the next two years.

The entire SystemRescueCd 6.0 series used Linux kernel 4.19 LTS, but SystemRescueCd 6.1 is powered by the Linux 5.4 LTS series, which will receive support until December 2021.

SystemRescue home site

😎

• Agree 1

abarbarian

Setting Up Arch Arm on Raspberry Pi 4 

Recently we got a request to perform on a street-festival in Pärnu, which gave us the impetus to get a bit more mobile with our technology. We already own a battery-powered boombox, so now we needed something a bit smaller than a laptop to deliver sensor-triggered sound to the box. An obvious candidate for this is the Raspberry Pi 4, which, if rumors are correct, has become quite a powerful little beast.

This is a record of the steps I took to set the rpi up with my Linux distro of choice Arch, make it possible to receive data from our minibees and trigger stuff in SuperCollider using it. Let’s get to it! Much of the information is taken from Mads Kjeldgaard’s blog and translated to Arch equivalents. Additionally there is a lot of good information in Niklas Adam’s blog.

Ah ha wonderful Parnu,

45180594.jpg

j6czlmnec8641.jpg

😋

• Agree 1

securitybreach

Nice. He mentioned changing the user account and password but never changed the default root password, which is simply root

abarbarian
1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Nice. He mentioned changing the user account and password but never changed the default root password, which is simply root

Probably was distracted by the beach volley ball game. 😜

• Agree 1