Arch linux articles through the ages.

abarbarian

Hmmmmm. The article I linked to is a 2015 article. :yes:

An if you click on "ARCH LINUX" you are taken to the Arch home page.

An if you click on "FREE SOFTWARE AWARD" you go to a FSA wiki page.

An if you click on "has won the" you are taken to the article.

:clap2:

Edited by abarbarian

Hmmmmm. The article I linked to is a 2015 article. :yes:

Nope, that is a repost from 2012: http://novemberain44...h-linux-as.html

http://www.linuxveda.com/2015/02/11/linus-torvalds-awarded-arch-linux-consumer-friendly-distribution/

Linus Torvalds awarded Arch Linux as the most consumer friendly distribution

By Swapnil Bhartiya -

Feb 11, 2015

Well me link seems to indicate the article is a 2015 variety. Which may contain elements of a repost. :whistling:

securitybreach

Well me link seems to indicate the article is a 2015 variety. Which may contain elements of a repost. :whistling:

I talked about it in the other thread, the entire article (word for word)is a repost from a 2012 April Fool's Day joke.

He used the text from an older article and added new pictures and posted it on a different site so therefore it is a new article posted in 2015.

I fully realised that it was a April Fools joke from 2012.

:whistling:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Arch Linux on Raspberry Pi 2 (2015)

As its name might suggest, RaspArch is an ARM operating system derived from the lightweight and powerful Arch Linux distro. It boasts a custom Linux 3.18.11 LTS kernel and LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment).

http://raspex.exton.se/?p=61

RaspArch is a “remaster” of Arch Linux ARM. The original compressed system is of 231 MB. After I have added the LXDE Desktop environment, Firefox and Gimp the system increased to 665 MB. RaspArch is a “ready-to-go” ARM system. It must be installed on a Raspberry Pi 2 computer.

Wonder how it runs ? An he could have used Window Maker to give it that extra snap. o:)

• Like 1

I would of thought that Lxde would of been lighter than WindowMaker. I use lxde on my B+ (512mb)

Less thought more research :harhar:

cmp-all4.png

7 Mb is why I keep banging on about Window Maker for the Pi but nobody listens to me :whistling:

securitybreach

I would of thought that Lxde would of been lighter than WindowMaker. I use lxde on my B+ (512mb)

Less thought more research :harhar:

7 Mb is why I keep banging on about Window Maker for the Pi but nobody listens to me :whistling:

Glad to see my favorite environment(i3wm) is really low on usage (3mb)

I may just switch to i3 on my RPi as I run it on my netbook, laptops and my desktops.

• Like 1

How to deploy a web application quickly with Ubos on Raspberry Pi (2015)

Ubos, which translates to "You are the boss", is a platform to help intermediately skilled users set up a home server and deploy web apps on it in a most automated way. Ubos puts you in the driver seat without knowing the details of the motor. On the other hand, it does not keep you from exploring the depths of the system.

Ubos is based on Arch Linux. Do not let this scare you away. Ubos reduces administrating the platform and deploying web apps to a mere handful of commands. That also means there is no GUI, it is simply not needed.

securitybreach
Do not let this scare you away. Ubos reduces administrating the platform and deploying web apps to a mere handful of commands. That also means there is no GUI, it is simply not needed.

Well actually the only hard part about Arch is the initial installation and that isn't hard as long as you follow the directions. I find Arch to be much easier to administrate than most distros.

Do not let this scare you away. Ubos reduces administrating the platform and deploying web apps to a mere handful of commands. That also means there is no GUI, it is simply not needed.

Well actually the only hard part about Arch is the initial installation and that isn't hard as long as you follow the directions. I find Arch to be much easier to administrate than most distros.

He is on about Ubos being far easier to deal with then a manual install and configuration of all the server stuff.

As in

this includes setup of a MariaDB database, creating a certificate, setting up SSL, creating a virtual host within the Apache webserver and configuring PHP. This will take only a few minutes,

at least I think that is what he meant :hmm:

Edited by abarbarian

• 4 months later...

Bluestar Linux

Bluestar Linux is an Arch Linux-based distribution, built with an understanding that people want and need a solid Operating System that provides a breadth of functionality and ease of use without sacrificing aesthetics. Bluestar is offered in three edtions - desktop, deskpro and developer - each tailored to address the needs of a variety of Linux users. Bluestar can be installed permanently as a robust and fully configurable operating system on a laptop or desktop system, or it can be run effectively as a live installer and supports the addition of persistent storage for those who choose not to perform a permanent installation.

A Bluestar Linux software respository is also maintained in order to provide additional tools and applications when needed or requested.

The home site is one of those awful sites with a black background which I find hard to read. On the plus side the graphical installer looks really neat and should help any newcomer install easily. Looks like a nice way to gain some pain free experience with Arch.

:yes:

Neat project but I disagree that you could gain any Archlinux experience from running the derivative.

You would get to know the layout of the file system which differs from other os's. Usage of pacman, yaourt etc so you would be familiar with updating. An you would probably use the wiki to do some installs or tweaking. It is a lot easier learning from a running os than it is from scratch, I know that from personal experience. So I recon I am correct in my assumption. Do not forget you are a experienced geek so stuff that seems simple and obvious may not appear so to someone with limited experience.

:shifty:

securitybreach

Well using a graphical frontend for pacman will not help you at all as you will miss all the wonderful output with instructions.

I am not for sure what you mean by "layout of the file system" as all distros use pretty much the same exact file system layout. Your systemwide configs are always in /etc/, logs are always in /var, etc.

The part about the wiki may or may not help them out as BlueStar could of changed the defaults and pacman commands wouldn't make sense if you only uses the graphical package manager.

I'm one who played around with a few Arch derivatives before ever installing Arch. I wanted to get a feel for pacman, without a graphical front-end for it, and I kinda wanted something that really used only Arch repos. For those reasons, I probably would have passed on BlueStar. I was thinking along the same lines when I passed on Manjaro.

It does look like BlueStar users might be fine using pacman instead of the front-end, though.

Looks like they don't have a page a DistroWatch yet. However, BlueStar was mentioned at DW back in 2013 (see "New distributions" at http://distrowatch.c...?issue=20130506).

securitybreach

Most all of the derivatives all use a graphical frontends for pacman. Pacman is one of the greatest tools available for archlinux and missing that part is like missing one of the major aspects of using arch.

Most all of the derivatives all use a graphical frontends for pacman.

Not all, though. Bridge Linux, ArchBang, I don't recall those two having one, at least not when I was running those distros.

Well using a graphical frontend for pacman will not help you at all as you will miss all the wonderful output with instructions.

I am not for sure what you mean by "layout of the file system" as all distros use pretty much the same exact file system layout. Your systemwide configs are always in /etc/, logs are always in /var, etc.

The part about the wiki may or may not help them out as BlueStar could of changed the defaults and pacman commands wouldn't make sense if you only uses the graphical package manager.

Why are you banging on about graphical frontends for pacman ? BS does use command line pacman as well as GUI frontends.

http://bluestarlinux.sourceforge.net/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=36

You may find that Apper won't find all the packages you need up front. So, first, using pacman, attempt to perform a full system upgrade:

pacman -Syyu

Well using a graphical frontend for pacman will not help you at all

Not true as you will learn that there is a thing called pacman. As I have not used BS I can not say what other information about pacman is given with their GUI for pacman. I would assume that as a BS user you would be exposed to some more pacman information as par for the course.

"layout of the file system" as all distros use pretty much the same exact file system layout.

Pretty much is not the same as exactly. An I could have said it better as "not everything is in the same place and set up in the same way and uses the same tools to do similar tasks".

:breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach
"layout of the file system" as all distros use pretty much the same exact file system layout.

Pretty much is not the same as exactly. An I could have said it better as "not everything is in the same place and set up in the same way and uses the same tools to do similar tasks".

Yes but you mentioned the filesystem layout which is the same across all distros as it is the standard for Linux: https://en.wikipedia...rarchy_Standard

Did you know that bridgelinux is based on Arch but was actually built using the Archbang sources? http://millertechnol...ridgelinux.html

securitybreach

A lot of the derivatives are using Octopi, PacmanXG4 and Yaourt-gui out of the box, which are fine projects but they defeat the advantage of using pacman IMO.

Did you know that bridgelinux is based on Arch but was actually built using the Archbang sources? http://millertechnol...ridgelinux.html

That is just plain weird. Talk about going around the houses. :whistling:

A lot of the derivatives are using Octopi, PacmanXG4 and Yaourt-gui out of the box, which are fine projects but they defeat the advantage of using pacman IMO.

Well it always helps to know what your GUI's are up to. :teehee:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...