FF ransomware

lewmur

I don't know if this effects Windows computers but I just came accross an FBI like malware on a Linux machine. Of course, it didn't lock down the OS the way the FBI ransomware does on Windows. But what it did do was lock down FF to the rasomware website. Comes up with the box asking if you want to "Leave this page" but the button doesn't work and you can't shut down FF. You can't even do a normal "shutdown" of the computer and even if you force a shutdown, when you reboot and re-enter FF, it puts you right back on the ransomware site because FF helpfully "recovers" your "crashed" FF session!!!!!

Deleting the .mozilla folder lets you start over with a clean FF, but you lose all of your bookmarks and cookies. Does anyone know what file(s) in the .mozilla folder to erase just to get rid of the "crashed" session?

I don't think you need to delete files, just the the preference entry of restoring the last session.

browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash and/or browser.sessionstore.resume_session_once ?

V.T. Eric Layton

It pays to always have a current backup of your Mozillla data. I have three separate backups minimum for my Mozilla products on my main system.

Anyway... what distro is this and what version of FF? Is it fully updated?

Hello,

I recall hearing something about this. I believe it may be Javascript (or Java?) based. Deleting the script in question resolves the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

The tenacity of this type of malicious software is amazing and knows no bounds apparently.

Here's the chosen fix for this:

Question: There is a ton of info on how to get this FBI ransomware off Safari but none about how to get it off Firefox. I have uninstalled and re-installed, cleared history and tried to reset all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answer: hold shift while launching firefox, hit reset firefox in the window. This will cause addons and custom prefs to be lost. Bookmarks and history will not be lost.

YOUR BROWSER HAS BEEN LOCKED - how to remove this ransomware virus?

And this appears to have been around on the Mac since July 2013:

FBI Ransomware for Firefox Mac?- Mozillazine Forums

For ransomware in general to get past the looping message:

How to tackle Javascript-based ransomware sites - CNET

http://www.xmarks.com/

The above is very useful for keeping your bookmarks safe. Works cross platform too which is neat.Syncs mathematically so once set up you can forget it. I just sync me bookmarks and do not use any of Xmarks other features. Has worked well for me for the last three or four years. :breakfast: