XP SP3 and Office 2003 Support Ends April 8, 2014

Guest LilBambi

So now it starts - got my first panicky call from a guy I helped out 6 months ago. He's just realized he might need a new machine in a couple of days. Yes, I did advise him back then to consider moving on from XP. :yes:

I just finished a trip to Staples to check out their desktop units. They have plenty in stock, but I expect they'll be busy for a few days. You can still get a nice ASUS box with Windows 7 Pro for a reasonable price.

Dumb question....

Is there something magic about working for Microsoft that makes them smarter than the average "geek"?

I read somewhere that nearly 90% of ATM machines are running XP.

Upgrading and/or replacing them all could represent a huge expense.

Letting them get hacked wholesale would ruin costumer confidence.

Couldn't persons employed by a banking industry association (and others) provide support indefinetly?

Patches could be released to the general public, either as a PR move, or on a subscrition basis....

Pete,

Many have speculated about these ATMs that run XP. Many of them run Windows Embedded Edition, which will be supported for a while longer. Others run a full copy of Windows XP. However, you must consider how Windows XP can be taken over. Nearly all the vectors are where a user would need to click on a link in an email, visit a web page with malicious code, or get hit with a Java or Flash element on a web page, or have a infected attachment in an email.

Suffice to say, this will not be something an ATM will be doing, so the infection risk would be very low. Despite this, the banks are working quickly to replace the ATMs, though it may take some time for the rollout to be complete.

Adam

• Like 1

PS- to answer the question, I suppose a "regular geek" could do it, but it would help a great deal to have the source code to windows. I doubt Microsoft will release it any time soon. After all, they just recently released the source code for DOS. :P

Guest LilBambi

Installed final Patch Tuesday updates for my XP installs prior to pulling the plug:

qkdVpzo.jpg

I will continue to use it offline.

I am using ESET Smart Security on the Windows XP Professional (VirtualBox on the Mac), and Windows XP Home (native install on my Debian Wheezy dualboot laptop) installs I have.

Guest LilBambi

I will have to ask Aryeh if they will be providing manual downloads for definitions or if I will have to put it online once a week or something long enough to get updates.

Guest LilBambi

The VM never needed Internet except for updates, same is true of the native install.

I have been not using XP for surfing and email for quite some time already.

Hello,

ESET is supporting Microsoft Windows XP for at least the next three years. See this post in the blog for details. It contains links to every blog post, knowledgebase article, white paper related to securing Windows XP as well as direct links to the download pages for all of the Windows XP compatible products.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I will have to ask Aryeh if they will be providing manual downloads for definitions or if I will have to put it online once a week or something long enough to get updates.

• Like 2