What's your job?

Prelude76

BoardFlak
Did you forget that I was raised in Indiana, PA??  Actually, Indiana, PA is the County Seat of Indiana County... About 60 miles N.E. of Pittsburgh.  And it existed well before the state of Indiana :)  :) Indiana County was one of the first land grants west of the Allegheny Mtns. in the colony of Pennsylvania.  One of the really odd things is that, if you look at a map and the shape of Indiana County... It's very similar to the shape of the State of Indiana :(  BTW...I lived there so long ago, Indiana University of Pennsylvania was still... Indiana State Teacher's College!! :)
Oh no, you mean someone might have not only plagerized Indiana County's name, but its shape too? I'm so embarrassed for my state!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Jeber

• Stryder

• siebkens

GolfProRM
Did you forget that I was raised in Indiana, PA??  Actually, Indiana, PA is the County Seat of Indiana County... About 60 miles N.E. of Pittsburgh.  And it existed well before the state of Indiana :)  :) Indiana County was one of the first land grants west of the Allegheny Mtns. in the colony of Pennsylvania.  One of the really odd things is that, if you look at a map and the shape of Indiana County... It's very similar to the shape of the State of Indiana :( BTW...I lived there so long ago, Indiana University of Pennsylvania was still... Indiana State Teacher's College!! :)
Oh no, you mean someone might have not only plagerized Indiana County's name, but its shape too? I'm so embarrassed for my state!
Here's a map of Indiana County, PA. And here's a map of Indiana (the state). I'll let you decide if it's a copy :(

Wow! Nineteenth Century cartographic plagiarism! I wonder if anyone's done a master's thesis on this fact! B)

BoardFlak
Wow! Nineteenth Century cartographic plagiarism! I wonder if anyone's done a master's thesis on this fact!  :)
My wife's gone back to school and is working on a History degree. Maybe I'll suggest this to her. Seems like a sure winner.

JOBS???? Funny how the Water Cooler turns into "TangentsRus"I'll try and keep this short, but no promises: I work for a contractor within the DLR (Deutsche Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt, official translation is "German Space Agency"). One of its many functions is controlling GRACE, CHAMP, and BIRD satellites. (which our company does). I work on the (multi-national) crew that controls the spacecraft, which explains why I'm here for long stretches. B) I only post all the links 'cause I think many of you will be interested. GRACE is doing the most advanced survey of Earths gravity field to date and providing climate change data.....The control room is a mixmatch of Windows NT and 2000, the command system runs on VAX/VMS (which I like), and there's some unix in there, somewhere. Learning how everything works together was tough. Lots of FTPing.We don't have anything to do with the scientific data, we just control the little beasts and they all have their own personality.GRACE: really 2 satellites GRACE @ university of Texas, alsoGrace @ gfzCHAMP: CHAMP @ GFZBIRD: Bird @ DLRWe also have some folks working on the Columbus project that should be flying on the ISS sometime in 2005, latest best guess. Control will be from here. Hope I don't sound like I'm namedropping here. nothin but the facts, mam.

I'm a salesperson for a computer systems integrator in the Hartford, CT area.
Welcome aboard Frenchy! Don't let us crazies (you can guess which of us) scare you off.

I was trained in the Navy as communications/navigation tech, after 20 years I changed jobs.I worked on air defense and theater missle defense systems. I started as an instructor/field engineer and finally as a systems test engineer.I retired again in 1997 and live in a sparesly populated rural area in TN.Guess who does the local computer repairs B) My days are now devoted to gardening, reading, computing........It's really hard work! My wife's a retired civil service Comptroller and she thinks I work for her B) Ken

VolunteerGlad to see you move up out of the test page. Welcome aboard! I guess from your screen name that you either

• spend your free time volunteering
  • or you get volunteered a lot
  • or you are volunteered to fix all those computers
  • or clue us in!

You will find a lot of us around here are former or active military. :D

I worked on air defense and theater missle defense systems.  I started as an instructor/field engineer and finally as a systems test engineer.
Hi Volunteer,I served AF, 12 yrs, scope dope, air defense, weapons control (air-air/ground, refuel, recce, etc), data-link (saudi, elf-one), space track, computer warfare simulation, etc,etc . :P :P ;) Glad to see someone with a common vocabulary, mine's a little rusty.

VolunteerGlad to see you move up out of the test page.  Welcome aboard!  I guess from your screen name that you either
  • spend your free time volunteering
  • or you get volunteered a lot
  • or you are volunteered to fix all those computers
  • or clue us in!

You will find a lot of us around here are former or active military. B)

Teacher, actually all of the above. People seem to think I have too much free time. I do volunteer work at the library and I'm a volunteer fireman. And yes, this is the origin of my screen name.When you said former, were you a marine? I'm serious, my mother-in-law was a marine. She didn't like sailors very much. :D BTW, my wife heard me laughing last night in my little office and came to check on me. The dialogue between you and Bruno was hilarious.beTe, I know about being rusty. :D That was a lot of fun when we were younger. I couldn't take the quick turnarounds anymore. Sometimes my body didn't adjust for hours after the flight, felt like I was still moving.Ken

I am an analytical chemist. I work in QA at an aluminum foundry. I don't have a nifty chemist avatar like Paracelsus. My avatar is derived from my hobby. I practice zymurgy (homebrewing) in my spare time.

I don't have a nifty chemist avatar like Paracelsus.
Actually, Para's avatar looks like he's enjoyed a bit too much of your avatar. :blink:

Teacher, actually all of the above.  People seem to think I have too much free time.  I do volunteer work at the library and I'm a volunteer fireman.  And yes, this is the origin of my screen name.When you said former, were you a marine?  I'm serious, my mother-in-law was a marine.  She didn't like sailors very much. ;) BTW, my wife heard me laughing last night in my little office and came to check on me.  The dialogue between you and Bruno was hilarious.beTe, I know about being rusty.  ;) That was a lot of fun when we were younger.  I couldn't take the quick turnarounds anymore.  Sometimes my body didn't adjust for hours after the flight, felt like I was still moving.Ken
Former Air Force - 13 years. Of course, I could just say former military and that I was a captain and let you wonder which branch. :D Don't tell my fun loving, crazy penguin but he is fun to run around with. ;) (I have to wear my shades for that one) Actually, I have had a hard time explaining penguin to my husband. :unsure: ;) We do have to treat him special. ;) --------------------------Certified water cooler participant

I want to be certifiable too!
You should reach that goal in about two more posts to the forum. Congrats. :unsure:

Finally, a goal in my life! Do I get to add certified water cooler participant to my postings too, O GreatQuasi-Official Minister of (Mis)Information?

Just bring your doctor's statement with you and we'll add your name to the list (which is then supplied to Dr. Earle and the government).

certifiable.jpgThere's got to be a better way to post images!! I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere in the threads, but couldn't find it!

Sieb has too much time on her hands!!!!!Actually, keep it up and you might keep us with us. I could use some backup on keeping Penguin in line.-------------------------Certified, but not certifable B)

He's a doctor now????-----------------------------Running for my life
I hear he just finished his phD (penquin highest degree) in his spare time between posts.You can join Virginia - she's headed north!

Don't let him know it is the Penguin Highest Degree. He will be heartbroken! He thinks there is something more to go after!-----------------------------Headed North

Well, I guess he could go for his phD, MD - Penquin highest Degree, Maniacal Doctor_________________Headed south - which direction do you think the penquin will go?

I'm a physician, and if there's another one lurking here, I guess he or she is not admitting it.In my spare time, I . . . you already guessed it . . . troubleshoot other people's computers.Ron

I'm a physician, and if there's another one lurking here, I guess he or she is not admitting it.In my spare time, I . . . you already guessed it . . . troubleshoot other people's computers.Ron
RonWelcome aboard! Don't know of anyone else that admits to being a physician but we do have a couple of nurses that came forth in the carpel-tunnel onset thread. The computer doc! What a hoot. By the way, it is not always crazy here, just most of the time. For sanity you have to leave the water cooler.

Just a footnote milleron - I don't want you to leave the water cooler, just wanted to invite you to see the whole forum if you have yet to visit it._______________________Removing foot from mouth