Nook Simple Touch Glow.

abarbarian

Just been reading me new Nook and I must say I am dead impressed.

The screen is easy to read in sunlight, room light, shadow and even the dark. The glow light really does a good job. I found text clear and readable with the background looking very paperlike.

Swiping is easy and the page turns quick enough for me as I prefer a relaxed reading rate. Library surfing and book opening are ok for me but I recon they may not be fast enough for all.

Menus and choices are simple and basic as is the layout. Once again ok for me as I am happy with the defaults and simple is fine as all I want to do is read books on the device.

You can hack the Nook to acces the web, e-mail and so, all in black and white. I may have a hack as I read you can install an app that gives deep black sharp text. Would be interesting to see if readability is improved and reading e-mails on the hoof could be fun.

Bought a neat black imitation leather case with a neat magnetic clasp which holds the thing shut and allows you to fully open the cover and hold it open with the magnet. Small neat and at a standard paperback weight this is probably my best buy of the year.

Cover £4.99 inc ship'

Nook £49.00

Ship' £3.00

Already read two magazines, one book and started another along with a pdf book on the command line. Reading techy stuff was a major part of buying the Nook. Having the ability to read info separate from the pc will be invaluable.

:breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

Guest LilBambi

Barnes & Noble to continue making Nook tablets after all - GIZMAG Aug 20, 2013

Amazon gets a lot of credit for starting the budget tablet craze with the original Kindle Fire. But it was actually Barnes & Noble that released the first subsidized, affordable, 7-inch slate, in the form of 2010's Nook Color. The three generations of B&N's Nook tablets may have been limited by their software, but they also delivered solid hardware and good overall bang for your buck. So we weren't complaining today, when B&N announced that it won't be discontinuing its color Nook tablets after all.

The flip-flop, reported by CNET, comes about two months after Barnes & Noble had said that it would be dropping color (non-E Ink) tablets from its product line. That lineage includes the Nook Color, 2011's Nook Tablet, and last year's Nook HD and Nook HD+, which are now available at bargain-basement discounts.

The move also comes after a fair share of uncertainty and drama surrounding the company's future. Not long after the original announcement about ditching tablets, CEO William Lynch resigned. Chairman Leonard Riggio then took on more authority, considered buying out the company's retail wing, then today said he was backing off of that proposition. All signs point to a company without a clear path.

That being said. The Nooks are great devices. I can use most any type of ebook from .txt, .pdf, .epub, B&N format of course on my old Nook Classic. Great little device despite the fact that it has no 'glow'/backlight.

Looks like Simple Touch will not do .txt, but does do .pdf, .epub and B&N format of course.

Amazingly, the iPad will read all but BBeB format. It's the only one that does all but one format.

The cool thing is that very few books are ONLY available in .txt these days. Even Gutenberg books are generally available in several formats.

Edited by LilBambi

True, but I can borrow books for free because I am a Prime member. :)

With Amazon Prime, Kindle owners can choose from hundreds of thousands of books to borrow for free with no due dates, including over 100 current and former New York Times best sellers and all 7 Harry Potter books.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HCCNJU

Apples and oranges.. :)

Adam

Hmm do not know how many books I can borrow from the local library. Since it is connected to the whole countrys library network I can access any of the books.

Over 3 million NOOK Books not enough? NOOK lets you borrow books in the universally accepted ePub format - so you can borrow and read eBooks from your local library!

An us Nook owners get cafe treats too.

Get FREE NOOK support in all B&N stores from our 40,000 booksellers. Plus enjoy FREE Wi-Fi®, special offers on books and café treats, and read entire NOOK Books FREE for up to one hour per day in store.

:whistling:

I have an e-reader (Kobo) and a Nexus 7 tablet and I vastly prefer the e-reader for books. On a cruise this past spring I had a choice which gadget to take and selected the e-reader. I had reason to regret my choice as had I taken the tablet I could have stuck it in my backpack, followed the crew members to find a wifi hotspot & check my email.

My e-reader didn't do much aside from downloading books from Kobo. Internet access on the ship is very slow, and very expensive. Live and learn I guess.

Hello,

Remember that the Nook Blog provides a free book, usually from a bestselling author, as well as a free app every Friday,

Here's a listing I've made via Reddit of free/low-cost ebooks: https://www.reddit.com/user/goretsky/m/ebooks/new

While somewhat Kindle-centric, there's quite a bit of Nook books that get listed as well as books from Smashwords, Gutenberg, etc., what can be read on a Nook.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have an e-reader (Kobo) and a Nexus 7 tablet and I vastly prefer the e-reader for books. On a cruise this past spring I had a choice which gadget to take and selected the e-reader. I had reason to regret my choice as had I taken the tablet I could have stuck it in my backpack, followed the crew members to find a wifi hotspot & check my email.

My e-reader didn't do much aside from downloading books from Kobo. Internet access on the ship is very slow, and very expensive. Live and learn I guess.

Turn your Kobo into a Debian Linux tablet

Hacked Kobo Becomes a Weather Display

Maybe the above will help next time you go cruising. :shifty:

Goretsky --- thanks for the tip about the free books.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll just pack the tablet I think. Taking a chance on bricking my e-reader so as to have a B/W tablet doesn't appeal to me.

Guest LilBambi

Hello,

Remember that the Nook Blog provides a free book, usually from a bestselling author, as well as a free app every Friday,

Here's a listing I've made via Reddit of free/low-cost ebooks: https://www.reddit.c...ky/m/ebooks/new

While somewhat Kindle-centric, there's quite a bit of Nook books that get listed as well as books from Smashwords, Gutenberg, etc., what can be read on a Nook.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks Aryeh! I have subscribed to the RSS for Nook Blog and saved your ebook list page!

http://ebookfriendly.com/free-nook-books/

On one of the sites you can download,

Harry Potter: The Prequel by J.K. Rowling, a short story set about three years before the birth of Harry Potter. It recounts an adventure experienced by Sirius Black and James Potter. The books are available in epub, pdf and txt format.

and there are

there are 2,100 science-fiction books that are free on Smashwords.

http://freebies.about.com/od/onlinebooks/tp/free-nook-books.htm

eBookFling sounds neat,

If your library doesn't subscribe to Overdrive then you can borrow and lend books on your own at eBookFling.

Before you can download a free Nook book you'll need to loan one of the books you already have so you can get a credit which you can use to download a free book.

I downloaded a couple of books from several of the sites easily. If you have time to search they nearly all seem good places to read for free.

:shifty:

There's lots of deals on the Kindle too. :-)

Adam

True true.

Them links I gave in post 15 are available for any make of e-reader. Well nearly all of them. :shifty:

I think I have fallen into an infinite black hole time loop as I keep seeing the same sentence every time I click on this link,

Some other good reads here.

Either that or I'm absorbing opium from the words of Coleridge and friends. :fish:

Guest LilBambi

I added the same thing to the other one pointing back here so whether someone finds this topic, or the other one, they will be able to get more good reads to check out.

• 1 month later...

http://bookclubs.bar...om/ba-p/1488961

Online only today, we're offering amazing deals: get the NOOK® Simple Touch for just $39, and the NOOK® HD starting at just $79!

Supplies are limited, so while the turkey's in the oven, go online, start shopping, and get ready to enjoy hours of reading and entertainment.

:breakfast:

With free shipping

Edited by abarbarian