Computer Locked

longgone

Not to be concerned Eric, so far all is good, with the exceptions of the apps that were removed. This thread is good though, I will d/l the listed links and read up on what they have to say. I do have some questions but they will be in a different thread which will be coming shortly.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Regardless which Windows OS you have, there are Service Packs that are absolutely needed. You wouldn't want to be online without them installed.

WinXP SP3 (absolutely minimum to be online at all these days is SP2)

Vista SP2

Win7 SP1

Guest LilBambi

If you have Windows XP without SP1, the items included in SP1 are here.

Learn how to install Windows XP Service Pack 3:

How to get SP3

The recommended (and easiest) way to get SP3 is to turn on Automatic Updates. For more information, see Set up Automatic Updates.

Automatic Updates can automatically download SP3 when it's available for your computer. You just need a few clicks to begin the installation and the rest of the process is automatic. If Automatic Updates isn't turned on, you can install SP3 by using Windows Update at the Windows website.

In order to install SP3, you must first have Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed. These are also available when you have Automatic Updates turned on. For more information about these and other Windows service packs, go to the Service Pack Center.

Got Win 8 and so far no service packs are available, although, I have heard that there is supposed to be a Win 8.1 coming out to fix some errors in Win 8. I would think that would almost be the same as a service pack.

Guest LilBambi

Apparently it is like a Service Pack in features and security fixes. Just not being treated as a Service Pack. It is available though.

How to download Windows 8.1 right now- geek.com

Microsoft has, however, opened up pre-orders for Windows 8.1. If your computer came with Windows 8 pre-installed or you’ve already bought a copy of Windows 8, there’s no need to do this. You’re entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 8.1, so all you need to do is wait patiently! On October 17th you’ll be able to download Windows 8.1 without any payments or delays, so if you are patient enough to handle the wait, you’re all set.

Every time I read something more about the changes made to Windows 8 I shake my head. I could live without the Start Menu and button, but when you have to go through 4-5 administrative screens just to boot into Safe Mode - well, that's just plain crazy. Does Microsoft think nobody will ever get a virus with Windows 8?

The Hitman Pro - Kickstarter solution here looks like the best solution for Win 8 users because it boots off a flash drive into regular Windows and then takes care of matters.

Cluttermagnet

I'm glad you got this sorted out, Dale. Not a pleasant experience. Also I'm so grateful that we have a helping community here at Scot's. :sorcerer:

You guys are the best!

I guess I'll also be grateful that they don't come after Linux very much. My life got a lot simpler in '07 when I switched.

Yep it's hard to beat an O/S which:

(1) Runs just as well after a year as it did on Day 1.

(2) Is infinitely customizable, yet easy to use as a default install.

(3) Is safe and secure. Doesn't bog down your system with security apps.

(4) Has all kinds of extra software that'll do 99% of what you did in Windows.

(5) Gets better and better with every release. At least the kernel workings do.

(6) Extends the life of old machines. Offers an upgrade path from Windows XP.

(7) Takes up far less system resources, but makes the most of what's available - especially large memory capacity in 64 bit systems.

(8) Runs like lightning on the latest hardware.

(9) Usually performs well right out of the box without installing drivers from all over the Web.

(10) Is free - as in beer , as in speech.

And yet so few - *so very few* - have heard of it or would make use of it if they have. :'(

Yep it's hard to beat an O/S which:

(1) Runs just as well after a year as it did on Day 1.

(2) Is infinitely customizable, yet easy to use as a default install.

(3) Is safe and secure. Doesn't bog down your system with security apps.

(4) Has all kinds of extra software that'll do 99% of what you did in Windows.

(5) Gets better and better with every release. At least the kernel workings do.

(6) Extends the life of old machines. Offers an upgrade path from Windows XP.

(7) Takes up far less system resources, but makes the most of what's available - especially large memory capacity in 64 bit systems.

(8) Runs like lightning on the latest hardware.

(9) Usually performs well right out of the box without installing drivers from all over the Web.

(10) Is free - as in beer , as in speech.

And yet so few - *so very few* - have heard of it or would make use of it if they have. :'(

The above would make a great start to a penguin article or blog post. :shifty:

• 1 month later...

Locked again !!!! Thought I would bring this back up since it happened again. However, this time I had the HitmanPro ready to go and the result is,,,, after about an hour, all is back to normal. I did, wonder what caused it, so, after some thinking about this, the one thing in common between the too instances was that I received (a pop up notification) a notice that there was an update available for Java, which I d/l'd and installed. When I started to shut down is when there was an extra window behind the normal desktop window with that same old message in it. Just thought I should share this with everyone, just in case. ... Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi Dale! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Java... bad ju-ju. If you don't need it for anything, dump it. I don't run Java in Linux or MS Windows these days.

Only one of the 7 computers in the house has Java. I have it disabled AND I have it set to never check for updates.

Bookmark this http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

just to check what is the current version. Never click any popup. Go to the Java site and download it from there.

It hasn't been updated since October 15th 2013.

The next version will be v7 update 51

They use a strange numbering system.

My notes show that critical patches use odd numbers.

I can usually see enough articles and threads that I know when Java updates so I'm current on the one computer.

Thought everything used Java (yeah I know, thinking is bad for your health). Anyhow, after this second go around, I have learned that the next time that notice pops up, and it will, I shall decline their most generous offer to install/update whatever it is at the time.

Ahemmmm,,, funny thing, I just looked, high and low for that coffee cup and it is not there. Even went into the control panel and looked at the installed programs and Java is nowhere to be seen. This is supposed to be Win8.1 and I do not see that icon nor the Java program anywhere. Now I definitely will not d/l any updates for Java since I can't find it.

I'm not sure if this works in 8. It works in XP and 7.

Open a command prompt and type in

java version

If it is on the computer, you will see what version is installed.

I found the old thread where my coffee cup disappeared three times after updates.

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=58527

so just because you do not see it, it might not mean you do not have Java installed.

Edited by zlim

Locked again !!!! Thought I would bring this back up since it happened again. However, this time I had the HitmanPro ready to go and the result is,,,, after about an hour, all is back to normal. I did, wonder what caused it, so, after some thinking about this, the one thing in common between the too instances was that I received (a pop up notification) a notice that there was an update available for Java, which I d/l'd and installed. When I started to shut down is when there was an extra window behind the normal desktop window with that same old message in it. Just thought I should share this with everyone, just in case. ... Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

I've never had Java installed on this Windows 7 machine and have yet to need it. If you don't need Java, then uninstall it. On the other hand, if you do keep Java on your computer, it is important to keep it locked down and updated. Except for out-of-band updates, security updates are issued for Java every three months, with the next update scheduled for January 14, 2014. If you play online games or have programs that require Java (e.g., OpenOffice), at least disable it until needed. Instructions are included for Windows 8 in Java, The Never-Ending Saga.

• Like 1