Quotes By Authors About Themselves

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

As I have mentioned in the past, I have been reading a lot of Isaac Asimov this years. Recently, I started looking up some information on the web and found this saved obituary of the late, great Isaac Asimov which included a quote Asimov made about himself in the most recent Who's Who (at the time of his death of course):

I have been fortunate to be born with a restless and efficient brain, with a capacity of clear thought and an ability to put that thought into words ... I am the lucky beneficiary of a lucky break in the genetic sweepstakes. ~ Isaac Asimov

:thumbsup:

The obit is very well done and well worth a read. There is even a PDF version of a scan of the actual newspaper page with the obit on the page.

I don't know how many quotes were made by authors about themselves, but I thought it would be fun to see how many we can find and list ones we find here.

Guest LilBambi

Douglas Adams ... my hubby said I bet Douglas Adams has some great ones....so I went looking and found a few. ;)

Here's the one I chose:

“My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.” ~ Douglas Adams
Edited by LilBambi
had to change the sentence ...

Guest LilBambi

Yes, that was a great one too, patio!

“It was dishonorable enough that I perverted art for money. I then topped that felony by becoming, as I say, fabulously well-to-do. Well, that’s just too D*** bad for me and for everybody. I’m completely in print, so we’re all stuck with me and stuck with my books.” ~ Kurt Vonnegut

There was actually much more to that statement originally, it is a quote out of context as many are.

That from Temmu's link.

Here's the full quote from securitybreach's link:

“Slapstick may be a very bad book. I am perfectly willing to believe that. Everybody else writes lousy books, so why shouldn’t I? What was unusual about the reviews was that they wanted people to admit now that I had never been any good. The reviewer for the Sunday Times actually asked critics who had praised me in the past to now admit in public how wrong they’d been. My publisher, Sam Lawrence, tried to comfort me by saying that authors were invariably attacked when they became fabulously well-to-do… I had suffered, all right — but as a badly educated person in vulgar company and in a vulgar trade. It was dishonorable enough that I perverted art for money. I then topped that felony by becoming, as I say, fabulously well-to-do. Well, that’s just too D*** bad for me and for everybody. I’m completely in print, so we’re all stuck with me and stuck with my books.” ~ Kurt Vonnegut in The Paris Review, 1977

but as a badly educated person in vulgar company and in a vulgar trade. It was dishonorable enough that I perverted art for money. I then topped that felony by becoming, as I say, fabulously well-to-do. Well, that’s just too D*** bad for me and for everybody. I’m completely in print, so we’re all stuck with me and stuck with my books.” ~ Kurt Vonnegut in The Paris Review, 1977
  • Like 1