Beginner's Guide to Debian 7

abarbarian

I wonder if this would really be a good guide for anyone who is a "beginner," or new to Linux. I read the first two sentences, clicked on the debian dot org link, then clicked on the "Network install" link under "Getting Debian." Lots of choices at the net install page (http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst). I have to wonder what that would look like to someone new to Linux.

And the author does not explain why he recommends the network install image instead of downloading a CD or DVD image. What if the user wants to take one of those approaches? There are many more options to choose from if you want to go with a CD or DVD image...

Anyone installing Linux (or even Debian) for the first time best be prepared to do A LOT of reading and digging around, even if they're gonna attempt to follow this guide. Perhaps that should have been noted right at the beginning.

• Like 1

securitybreach

That and if you do not mind changing the title, I would appreciate it. As Bruno said:

We try to avoid the word "newbie", it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification. --Bruno
  • Like 1

Lost me at the Unetbootin recommendation. While it sometimes works, there have been many threads at Debian User Forums where it doesn't. When the poster is advised and uses the Debian Way, with dd or cat, it is usually successful.

• Like 1

I read the three sections of the guide and it seemed quite reasonable to follow to me.

The guy did say he recomended the net install and gave a link. Following the link to the Debian page you find a Net Install link, follow that and you get a clear explanation if somewhat brief,

Installing Debian via the Internet

This method of installing Debian requires a functioning Internet connection during installation. Compared to other methods you end up downloading less data as the process will be tailored to your requirements. Ethernet and wireless connections are supported. Internal ISDN cards are unfortunately not supported.

Anyone installing linux of any flavour will need to do plenty of reading even folks installing Arch. Following the guide I felt would give folks some decent basic pointers and help install and set up a basic working system. Just my take on it.

The thread title is the title of the article which is why I posted as such. I was aware of the sites aversion to the newbie term which is why I gave an apology at the start of my original post. I did make my link out as a BEGINERS GUIDE maybe I should have given an explanation about the sites policy too.

Was not aware of any problems with Unebootin. It is mentioned all over the net and whilst I have not tried it myself I thought it was a stable and reliable program.

:breakfast:

Well, it's a good guide to have out there, in any case. I like that it includes screen shots.

It's probably never easy for an experienced user to see things through the eyes of a [beginner]. When I read through the article, I thought there were quite a few places where a person would have a lot of questions. But that probably can't be avoided, really.

Unetbootin doesn't always work with every distro, but I don't recall having any problems using it with Debian or anything Debian-based. That doesn't mean that other people wouldn't have (or haven't had) problems.

I think that any guide for installing Debian should include a link to this page: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

There's a very nice project out there, The Debian Administrator's Handbook: http://debian-handbook.info/

Chapter 4 of that book contains some good installation info. But the book for Wheezy (Debian 7) isn't out yet, looks like.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Nice guide!

BTW: I changed the title to Beginner's Guide as we don't use that word in honor of Bruno. I am sure Josh or Eric can repost Beuno's thoughts on it as I am mobile at the moment.