SpyBot S&D...

Guest Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus

I hope this isn't redundant. I didn't get any hits on a search.Any of the "Highlander Security Squad" have any idea whatsup with SpyBot??I try to update regularly, but keep receiving a box that "No Newer Updates are Available". The "About" box shows that the last Update was March 4th!!AdAware has had at least 5 updates since then.

You're not the only one wondering...Various rumors are that they are working on version 1.2, they experienced a ddos attack recently and that they are in a dispute with another company over copyright issues. All of these issues combined suggest that SB might have a lot on their plate at the moment.

Oh,Thanks for reminding me. Just checked and it updated the March 4 definitions to whatever is the current version. I used the UniDo (Europe) server to retrieve the updates. Maybe switch up the servers. I still prefer Ad-Aware though.

I used the UniDo (Europe) server to retrieve the updates. Maybe switch up the servers.
I thought about the same thing, and tried 3 servers....all update to MarchI remember when adaware was doing a major upgrade and everyone went to spybot, now it seems the reverse is happening. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

Yep, seems like growing pains and Spybot S&D has had their share of attacks one way or another (legal and DDoS).Great program though. I hope it pulls through this quicker than Ad-aware did.They still have updates periodically unlike Ad-aware did when they were going through growing pains.I still use them both. On a newly being looked at computer I use Ad-aware, SpyBot S&D and have also added the trial version of Spysweeper to the mix. All three get things the others don't.Better safe than sorry with this changing world of adware/spyware/malware and worse that's going on right now.

Guest Paracelsus

Thanks!, all...Just wanted to make sure it wasn't me :hmm: NRD originally turned me on to SB, and I like the various options it has.The different mirror sites make no difference for me on the update. I'll be patient.Should I make a contribution now, to help the cause??...Or wait until the issues are settled?? :lol: :)

Spybot-search & Destroy 1.3 Rc3

SpyBot-S&D searches your hard drive for so-called spy- or adbots; little modules that are responsible for the ads many programs display. But many of these modules also transmit information about your surfing behaviour and more to the net.If SpyBot-S&D finds such modules, it can remove them - or replace them with empty dummies in case their host software won't run with its bot removed. In most cases, the host still runs fine after removing the bot.For a list of 'supported' bots see the feature lists below. The Spybot-S&D interface is so easy, that updates just require replacing a file of about 80k in size. Those updates are distributed by my software mailinglist, at the authors page and are also available from inside the programs update section.Another feature of Spybot S&D is the removal of usage tracks, which makes it more complicated for unknown spybots to transmit useful data. The list of last visited websites, opened files, started programs, cookies, all that and more can be cleaned. Supported are the three major browsers Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator and Opera.Last but not least Spybot-S&D contains some routines to find and correct invalid entries into the registry.Source: MajorGeeks - Download

Guest LilBambi

NOT me ... I do not want to test it on my working computers LOL!(And I consider SpyBot S&D one of the best of breed!)It removes things from the REGISTRY as well as the hard drive Paracelsus? You really want to BETA test it??? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by LilBambi

Guest Paracelsus
It removes things from the REGISTRY as well as the hard drive Paracelsus? You really want to BETA test it??? :thumbsup:  o:)
Oh!, Bams...You're such a Party Pooper!!It only removes things that you give it the OK to remove.And thanks to you and several other people here... I know what's important and what's not :thumbsup: Plus...I've been tweaking the "Sanctum Sanctorum" since my "El Dinosauro"* days :) :lol: Tampering with the registry has looooooooooooooong since lost it's "Fear Factor" for me B)*The ol' Packard-Bell B) :lol:

Guest LilBambi
It only removes thing that you give it the OK to remove.
You hope it only removes what it's supposed to! It's beta ... Web definitions for Beta Software
Beta versions of commercial software are work-in-progress test copies released prior to the full version. They're used to put the product through real-world tests and to ferret out bugs before the finished software hits the shelves. Betas often expire after a period of time, usually when the full version or the next beta is released.
Most companies also add the caveat with betas that they should not be used on main or production computers.Thanks for those kind words for everyone who helps here in SFNL Forums! :thumbsup:Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for ya Paracelsus. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

So congrats are in order! Today 1.3 became RC! Awesome and with a 4.5 out of 5 ... even better !! Will be glad when it is final so I can start using it on client computers! :thumbsup:

Guest Paracelsus
Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for ya Paracelsus.  :thumbsup:
In view of the fact that LR is due back from the Anarchist's convention in Montevideo, tomorrow...I/us/we thank-you and appreciate your concern.
Are you following me??
Hey!, Ed!!...You just may be LabRat's new Best Friend :thumbsup: :lol: He loves Conspiracy Theories