windows file extensions and programs

i just read peachy's post in the 8.1 menu topic. ( http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=65169 )

so, here's this!

i suppose you all remember that microsoft intended folks to double-click the file they wanted to use and the associated program would load and open the selected file.

having said that, the menu was to be the secondary method of opening an existing file.

now, that leaves, of course, getting to the program to create a new file.

bearing in mind what peachy said, most folks at my work =do not know their programs exist in the start menu!=

so, how do they open a program? - shortcuts on their desktop!!

i may be changing my mind about this whole start menu debate

how different is a windows 8 desktop cluttered with icons than a windows 7 desktop cluttered with similarly useless icons?

I use the Start Menu constantly to start programs, and i've been using computers since before they were called pc's. I hardly ever double click to start a program, do use RightClick->OpenWith.

Where I work, most users use the Start Menu to start the programs. They 'pin' programs they want to "Start Menu" instead of using the Quick Task section or create a shortcut in various folders in the desktop. But keep in mind, they all have multiple windows up (and most have multiple monitors)

hmm, most people I know who use msWindows use the Start Menu , even those who are not considered expert users.

goretsky

Hello,

I use the Desktop, Start Menu (icons and search dialog), Quick Launch, Pinned Apps, hot keys and, under Windows 8/8.1 the Start Screen to launch programs. And I'm not always consistent about which I use. Often, it depends upon where my hands are with respect to the keyboard and pointing device, or the mouse's cursor is on the screen.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

having sat in front of windows server 2012 r2 (1) last night & trying to plow through the most basic configuration tasks, i discovered:

- how easy it is to ~accidentally~ create a domain controller!! (2)

- that i was right previously, the windows 8 / 12 user interface suxors!!!

- lol, ms, when you get past the counter-intuitive, obfuscating u.i., you get back to the same control set, same icons, as server 2008 r2!

- ms suxors!!!

notez____________

(1) server 2012 r2 is a free download.

(2) from server 2000 to server 2008 r2, you had to run "dcpromo" , last night, i converted a fresh 2012 install by clicking a link on the "next screen" during install. thanks for the warning, microsoft. - note - when you open a command prompt in 2012 and type "dcpromo", the os gleefully lets you know, it's not here anymore! but is in server manager (skillfully hidden!!)

edited to add to note (2)

Edited by Temmu

I don't think it is so much that Microsoft sucks, but that they have no real competition- especially in the corporate environment. The market is ripe for a major shift, and I am not sure Microsoft is prepared to get off its laurels to really innovate and bring something new to the table if faced with serious competition.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

agreed, adam. it is a crying shame that linux cannot get a foothold in the corporate world.

but to do so, it would need something similar to wsus (windows services update server) (the free server that patches windows machines with windows updates) and group policy management, which allows all pcs in group to be configured the same from a central location.

• Like 1

agreed, adam. it is a crying shame that linux cannot get a foothold in the corporate world.

but to do so, it would need something similar to wsus (windows services update server) (the free server that patches windows machines with windows updates) and group policy management, which allows all pcs in group to be configured the same from a central location.

Yepp and distros still can not get that done. heck, I can't even get distros to join into a 2012 or 2008 AD domain. With old or new samba.

And don't get me started on mounting network shares . Yech , yuck and unacceptable.