Linux 3.12 Codenamed "Suicidal Squirrel"

securitybreach

securitybreach
After the Linux 3.11 kernel was codenamed "Linux for Workgroups" in reminisce of Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Linus Torvalds is using "Suicidal Squirrel" as the Linux 3.12 kernel codename.

With evidently restoring his workstation, Linus Torvalds made a Git commit on Wednesday evening that stripped the kernel of its mockery "Linux/Windows for Workgroups" logo and changed the codename to "Suicidal Squirrel."

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ1OTg

:hysterical:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I though you were implying that the "poke in the eye of Ubuntu" had been mentioned by others already. I was saying that I'm getting senile and must have missed that. Maybe we have a language barrier between us. I speak U.S. English and you speak that Queen's version. ;)

• Like 1

Ah ha I see sort of. Me original query was made as I could not see why "Suicidal Squirrel." was a possible poke in the eye towards Ubuntu as the connection eludes me. :ermm:

Ah ha I see sort of. Me original query was made as I could not see why "Suicidal Squirrel." was a possible poke in the eye towards Ubuntu as the connection eludes me. :ermm:

?? You must have noticed that each release of Ubuntu comes with a cutesy nickname -- current might be something like "Precise Pangolin" -- or "Lazy Lizard". Suicical Squirrel would just be an anticipated future rev of Ubuntu, when they get up to S in the alphabet. In our culture, anything squirrel-like is automatically funny.

You gotta admit, Linux For Workgroups 3.11 is funny.

• Like 2

securitybreach

?? You must have noticed that each release of Ubuntu comes with a cutesy nickname -- current might be something like "Precise Pangolin" -- or "Lazy Lizard". Suicical Squirrel would just be an anticipated future rev of Ubuntu, when they get up to S in the alphabet. In our culture, anything squirrel-like is automatically funny.

Actually they have already chosen the name and images are available to download:

Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)

http://cdimage.ubunt...y-live/current/

Saucy Salamander?? Either that means a sauce made from salamanders, a salamander dinner with a sauce, or a salamander that is sexually enticing.

Given those three choices, I choose, "D - None of the above".

• Like 1

Saucy Salamander?? Either that means a sauce made from salamanders, a salamander dinner with a sauce, or a salamander that is sexually enticing.

Given those three choices, I choose, "D - None of the above".

Another cultural thing; here, in American English that word is usually pronounced like "sassy" and it means more like impertinent or sexy -- having nothing to do with sauce or food, at least in these modern times.

Grammar is all. Sorry I'm not up on Ubuntu stuff -- probably the best thing since sliced bread, but for recent versions of it X won't start on my mobos with onboard nvidia.

V.T. Eric Layton

What happens when Ubuntu runs out of alphabet, I've always wondered?

Oh, and yes... what burninbush explains above is what I was alluding to regarding the "poke in the eye".