Cordless Mouse

epp_b

You got a fan nearby? If I place a fan near a monitor the screen gets jumpy. Pencil sharpener?BTW the receiver's antenna on my daughter's cordless mouse is not something that sticks out like a WiFi router or TV. It's the front panel of the unit that connects to the pc. I suspect your's may be similar.

You got a fan nearby?  If I place a fan near a monitor the screen gets jumpy.
The only fans near here are the ones in the computer.
Pencil sharpener?
Nope.
BTW the receiver's antenna on my daughter's cordless mouse is not something that sticks out like a WiFi router or TV.  It's the front panel of the unit that connects to the pc.  I suspect your's may be similar.
Oh, my bad. Which part do I not cover with tin foil?

Everything but the antenna side although you could put a hood around it.Do you have florescence lights in the room? A ballast could be going.Any neighbors into CB or shortwave radios?

Everything but the antenna side although you could put a hood around it.
Is that the front?
Do you have florescence lights in the room?  A ballast could be going.
Interestingly, I have two almost burnt-out bulbs in a flourecence light. But it still does the same thing with the light off.
Any neighbors into CB or shortwave radios?
Not that I'm aware of.Again, I'll list anything and everything within the vicinity of my computer: - Keyboard (which is in the same set) - Monitor - Speakers - Scanner - UPS & Surgebar - Computer - NiCad Battery charger unplugged - Other battery charger ("Regargable Alkalines) unplugged - Li-Ion Battery charger unplugged - Digital Camera unplugged - Radio off - Second radio off - Flouresence lights - Clocks??

Here's another far-fetched thought:Is it possible that, in hot-plugging my PS/2 devices, I damaged a part in my motherboard, which, in turn, causes the motherboard to incur damage to any device connected to its PS/2 port(s)?Please, somebody answer, getting desparate :rolleyes: (which is why I'm doing this at 11:50 pm!!!)
Nope. All motherboards these days are designed with hotplugging in mind. Unplugging and replugging the PS2 devices will not damage it.

Again, I'll list anything and everything within the vicinity of my computer: - Keyboard (which is in the same set) - Monitor - Speakers - Scanner - UPS & Surgebar - Computer - NiCad Battery charger unplugged - Other battery charger ("Regargable Alkalines) unplugged - Li-Ion Battery charger unplugged - Digital Camera unplugged - Radio off - Second radio off - Flouresence lights - Clocks??
The only thing that is sticking out in my mind is speakers. Are they computer speakers? If so, they should be shielded.One way to do the aluminum foil trick wouldd be to build a little hood around the reciever and cover every side but one. Use the mouse with it.. but it is important to make sure that the mouse can always "see" the receiver. Radio waves will be blocked by the foil, so the mouse needs to stay in the line of sight with the receiver. Don't worry about which side of the receiver is open. The receivers can receiver from any direction.Hope this helps!

Again, I'll list anything and everything within the vicinity of my computer: - Keyboard (which is in the same set) - Monitor - Speakers - Scanner - UPS & Surgebar - Computer - NiCad Battery charger unplugged - Other battery charger ("Regargable Alkalines) unplugged - Li-Ion Battery charger unplugged - Digital Camera unplugged - Radio off - Second radio off - Flouresence lights - Clocks??
The only thing that is sticking out in my mind is speakers. Are they computer speakers? If so, they should be shielded.One way to do the aluminum foil trick wouldd be to build a little hood around the reciever and cover every side but one. Use the mouse with it.. but it is important to make sure that the mouse can always "see" the receiver. Radio waves will be blocked by the foil, so the mouse needs to stay in the line of sight with the receiver. Don't worry about which side of the receiver is open. The receivers can receiver from any direction.Hope this helps!
The speakers sitting on the desk are sheilded. The subwoofer sitting on the table 5 feet away is not. But, again, I have had it there for the last who knows how many months without any problems.I'll move it and see what happens.

Here's another far-fetched thought:Is it possible that, in hot-plugging my PS/2 devices, I damaged a part in my motherboard, which, in turn, causes the motherboard to incur damage to any device connected to its PS/2 port(s)?Please, somebody answer, getting desparate :blink: (which is why I'm doing this at 11:50 pm!!!)
Nope. All motherboards these days are designed with hotplugging in mind. Unplugging and replugging the PS2 devices will not damage it.
Really? That's not what the Logitech guy seemed to think.Most of the resources I've found said that hot-plugging PS/2 ports can damage the motherboard. But those resources could have been old and refering to jurassic machines.

It will work..... but wether the OS will recognize the new device is another matter. Most will. This has been my experience.

It will work..... but wether the OS will recognize the new device is another matter. Most will. This has been my experience.
Yes, 98% of the time, I am able to hot-plug PS/2 peripherals and the OS will recognize it. But I'm going to make a habit not to hot-plug these anymore, just in case some one is right about the damage theory.On a different topic, my keyboard is still disconnecting once or twice a day...very annoying :blink: For some reason, I'm paranoid that my replacement set will do the same :P

For some reason, I'm paranoid that my replacement set will do the same 
Time will tell. If it does, what will you do then?With XP Home some USB devices can be set, via Device Manager, to optimize for performance or for quick removal. My Jumpdrive and ByteCC external drive have that option and I have them set for the latter. My camera and scanner do not have the option. You might check how your USB devices are configured.

Yes, 98% of the time, I am able to hot-plug PS/2 peripherals and the OS will recognize it. But I'm going to make a habit not to hot-plug these anymore, just in case some one is right about the damage theory.On a different topic, my keyboard is still disconnecting once or twice a day...very annoying :blink: For some reason, I'm paranoid that my replacement set will do the same :P
I would strongly suspect that you have bad hardware. It is 99% likely to be your receiver. It also could be your motherboard, but I highly doubt it.

For some reason, I'm paranoid that my replacement set will do the same 
Time will tell. If it does, what will you do then?
Probably say "Arghghghghghghggh! I've HAD it with cordless" :) ...and look for a corded keyboard. Besides, I like my optical mouse anyway.

Yes, 98% of the time, I am able to hot-plug PS/2 peripherals and the OS will recognize it. But I'm going to make a habit not to hot-plug these anymore, just in case some one is right about the damage theory.On a different topic, my keyboard is still disconnecting once or twice a day...very annoying :) For some reason, I'm paranoid that my replacement set will do the same :o
I would strongly suspect that you have bad hardware. It is 99% likely to be your receiver. It also could be your motherboard, but I highly doubt it.
Well, then I hope it's the receiver, because then the new set should work. On the other hand, why is that other set (the spare I borrowed from a friend) also acting up (the keyboard disconnects)?From those of you who think hot-plugging PS/2 can damage parts, is it just the motherboard it can damage, or can it also damage the PS/2 devices?

Well, I'm going to try the spare set on my parents' computer around the corner for a few days. See if they start complaining about any problems.

Well, I'm going to try the spare set on my parents' computer around the corner for a few days.  See if they start complaining about any problems.
I've got a similar problem, also with a Logitech set. Ball mouse, jeez they could put a readable mdl number on them. :)Ball mouse is (M/N) M-RN-68KB is (M/N:) Y-RC-14 I stopped using the kb last week. Something was kerfollixed, and it seems to be the remote transmitter. I used a couple of other wireless Logi kbs, (got 'em dumpster divin') And none of the others would perform either. They're doing the same thing you describe, *connect* button and they work briefly and drop out. The mouse is still flawless. But I will have to take a look at the warranty. I sorta didn't give that a thought.I got the same sort of collection of stuff, spkrs and what-not around my box, too. And the mouse has been dropped plenty of times, while the kb hasn't seen any sort of abuse. :whistling:

I won a Logitech cordless keyboard and optical mouse combo in 2002. I've used them with no problems since they arrived in January 2003. (In fact, I have yet to replace the batteries in the keyboard!) I remember there was a tag on the connector cautioning against using USB connector for both items. I only have 1 USB connector on the back of my computer and my printer is using that sooo... both items went into PS/2 ports (I wonder if that makes a difference?I use 2 corded Logitech optical mice, and a cordless Logitech optical notebook mouse with a tiny USB transmitter (that ones has a very handy on/off switch). None of them have given me any problems.

Well, I'm going to try the spare set on my parents' computer around the corner for a few days.  See if they start complaining about any problems.
I've got a similar problem, also with a Logitech set. Ball mouse, jeez they could put a readable mdl number on them. :)Ball mouse is (M/N) M-RN-68KB is (M/N:) Y-RC-14
Hey - we have IDENTICAL sets!http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...,CONTENTID=5058
I stopped using the kb last week. Something was kerfollixed, and it seems to be the remote transmitter. I used a couple of other wireless Logi kbs, (got 'em dumpster divin') And none of the others would perform either. They're doing the same thing you describe, *connect* button and they work briefly and drop out. The mouse is still flawless. But I will have to take a look at the warranty. I sorta didn't give that a thought.
That's *very* interesting! It's always good to know when you're not alone with a problem :thumbsup:
I got the same sort of collection of stuff, spkrs and what-not around my box,  too. And the mouse has been dropped plenty of times, while  the kb hasn't seen any sort of abuse. :thumbsup:
I can't say I've dropped my mouse too often, but I'm quite sure the mouse is "kaput". I've seen similar behaviour in corded mice (which, obviously, couldn't have anything to do with interference), and they both had to be replaced.

I won a Logitech cordless keyboard and optical mouse combo in 2002. I've used them with no problems since they arrived in January 2003. (In fact, I have yet to replace the batteries in the keyboard!)
Keyboards usually last a long time on batteries. Mine have also lasted for very lengthy periods of time.
I remember there was a tag on the connector cautioning against using USB connector for both items. I only have 1 USB connector on the back of my computer and my printer is using that sooo...  both items went into PS/2 ports (I wonder if that makes a difference?I use 2 corded Logitech optical  mice,  and a cordless Logitech optical notebook mouse with a tiny USB transmitter (that ones has a very handy on/off switch). None of them have given me any problems.
I think the USB option is for notebooks. USB takes up more resources than PS/2. I've always used PS/2 for keyboards & mice since it's standard and my USB ports are used up anyway :thumbsup:

epp_b,I'd just like to take the transmitter apart. But if it's under warranty, screw that.(Jeez this avatar is horrid!)
It's got a three year warranty. If you browse through this thread a bit, you'll see that Logitech is sending me a new set.

Yeah, if Logitech wasn't sending me a new set, I'd go for an optical. I'm using my corded optical right now, and I must say (errrhh,,,uhhhll...avoiding the natural urge to quote a McDonald's ad...) I'm....er, enjoying it :unsure: