A Computing Milestone for Me

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Not counting a short time using MS Windows 3.1 back in 1993 at my job, I started using MS Windows on my home systems in March of 2000. I used it as my primary operating system until July of 2006. At that time, I became Linuxified. A milestone for me passed by last summer and I didn't even notice it... since summer of 2012, I've been using Linux longer than I ever used MS Windows.

How 'bout that? Viannen_loungelizard.gif

• Like 3

Guest LilBambi

I started using Linux when Mandrake 7.1 came out in 2000. But it was dual use and still is dual, actually triangle use these days for Desktop/Laptop computers. I use Linux and the Mac the same amount these days, and use WIndows less than I used to; which used to be most of the time. I still use Windows quite a bit, but not nearly as much as I do Linux and the Mac these days.

A lot of that is the cross platform ability of so many programs I use.

I'm a jonny come lately compared to yous folk as I only started with pc's in 2004. An became an almost full time penguin in 2009 ish. I tend to close my windows in summer and open them again in late autumn and winter, sometimes leaving them open all day and night. :breakfast:

• Like 2

securitybreach

I just thought about it and I have also been using Linux for longer than I used windows. I think I used my first version of Windows back with 3.1 in 1993 or so. Then I didn't use computers for about 4 years or so afterwards (don't ask B)). Then in March 2003, I moved to Linux on all of my machines except for a small window's gaming partition. Well a few months ago, I finally wiped my last window's partition since Steam supports enough games for my needs. So I used window's for about 6 years off and on and used Linux daily for 10 years (back in March).

I started with Windows 95 and moved to 98 within a year or so and after a few experiments wuth Red Hat I started using Mandrake 7.1 and have been using Linux as my primary distro since even if I had Win XP installed and my wife is still using it.

Win 98SE in about 2001, then XP for a couple of years. Then Mandrake, SUSE and a couple of others I don't recall. I have been only using Debian or its close relatives for about 7 years now. :thumbsup: B)

I admit I have been using Windows 7 a lot lately due do a renewed obsession with gaming. Some games just don't work on Linux and I still haven't got Steam working properly. It's installed now but wants to remove 64 bit Nvidia when I try to install 32 bit GL lib, so I put it on the backburner again.

I highly recommend GRID 2, Tomb Raider, Need For Speed; Most Wanted and GTA4. GTA5 is out shortly but the consoles have conspired to have it not initially released for PC. :angry2:

A mate says Splinter Cell Blacklist is the best game ever, but he says that for every new game. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Josh, I had a stretch from '93 to 2000 when I didn't use any computer... at home, work, etc. The Internet basically became popular during that period. I missed it. I didn't get to the Internet till 2000. I was amazed once I got here. It still amazes me, actually.

Hm, my situation has some similarities to Eric's. Got my first home computer (Windows XP) in 2001. Started messing around with Linux in 2005. Gradually found myself using Linux more and using Windows less. By 2007, I had Windows and Linux on separate computers only, and was booting Windows mainly to update the system. So my "primary" went from Windows to Linux somewhere during 2006-07.

I haven't used Windows at home at all for 4 or 5 years now.

Guest LilBambi

But it was a Color Computer and then an IBM Compatible 8088/8086 computer in DOS and Windows 3.1.1 after 3.1 had no networking and had to use Trumpet Winsock to get onto the Internet or AOH*ll or GENIE, Delphi, Sprint, CompuServe. ;)

Edited by LilBambi

V.T. Eric Layton

Funny you mention AOL. That is probably the one ISP that I never had anything to do with. Back in 2000, when I first got online, everyone was offering free dial-up. I had like seven different account set up on my system at that time... Juno, Excite, Altavista, WorldCom, and Netzero, of course. I still have an active Juno email address, and I bet my Netzero is still active. I never canceled it, anyway. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Later various computers I built from 386 to PIII computers running various versions of Windows and in 2000 forward, dual booting between Windows and Linux.

Now I have various computers; a couple that dual booting between Windows XP and Linux, two Linux only, one Mac. And eventually I want to install Windows 7 and Windows 8 in VirtualBox and maybe the newer Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM with Windows 7 and Debian Wheezy (currently Wheezy only).

Guest LilBambi

Funny you mention AOL. That is probably the one ISP that I never had anything to do with. Back in 2000, when I first got online, everyone was offering free dial-up. I had like seven different account set up on my system at that time... Juno, Excite, Altavista, WorldCom, and Netzero, of course. I still have an active Juno email address, and I bet my Netzero is still active. I never canceled it, anyway. ;)

I even tried Prodigy for a very short time LOL!

I never used Juno or Netzero but some clients did and a couple still do. I hated them. Too many ads and much too restrictive. Went to Widomaker.com solid 24/7 dialup for a long time after Windows 98SE and later Windows XP and Linux.

And now am being raked over the proverbial coals with Verizon Wireless to get any kind of broadband in this area, sadly.

Edited by LilBambi

V.T. Eric Layton

I was ad-blocking even back then, so the freebies weren't too bad. Later on, when the freebies started disappearing, I actually paid for dial-up (56K - hauling butt! ;) ) from a little local outfit (can't remember their name) that folded once the big boys (cable, telephone company) monopolized the market.

I had a stretch up to 1986 where I had no computers at all.... ;) I have had at least once since then.

You need to watch out then ! Do you still have three strikes and its down for life over there. :breakfast:

An I think it was around 2000 when penitentiarys started computer courses. :whistling:

Edited by abarbarian

Josh, I had a stretch from '93 to 2000 when I didn't use any computer... at home, work, etc.
I had a stretch up to 1986 where I had no computers at all....

I don't think I touched a computer during most of the 80s. Before then, I'd had some programming classes, and had even declared Computer Science as my major. Then I dropped out -- young and dumb. But that earlier interest in computers, and a lot of things from those programming classes, all that turned out to be helpful for me in the 90s, as well as later on when I got going with Linux.

• Like 1

I go back to punch cards, FORTRAN and IBM 360 mainframes. I used time share technology on teletypes in the 1970s. My first personal PC was a VIC-20 and I had a Commodore 64 and Amiga 500. At work I used MS-DOS in the 80s, Windows 3.11 through most of the 90s, and when I retired in 2004 we were still running Windows NT 4. At home I have used Windows 3.0, 95, 98SE, Me, XP and 7. I avoided Vista and (so far) Windows 8.

I was also a latecomer to online stuff - started with Prodigy in 1996 and the "real Internet" around 1998. As far as Linux goes I got into it around 2006, so I've got a long way to go before it takes over from Windows. I have more machines running Linux than Windows around the house, though. :thumbup:

I think we had more fun with computing when we were using the CoCo and DOS personally. At least till Linux came along...

Oh yeah, absolutely. I can't comment on the CoCo (it sounds like something I'd blame on the bossa nova!), but I loved DOS. Every time I wrote a batch file, I was too cool for school! I think I started in 1989 or so, with DOS 3.3. I actually kinda liked Windows 3.1, but I hated 95 and wouldn't have it on any computer at home. (I was working for a healthcare provider that had 95 on a couple of their computers, and I thought it was malware, as in I got mal de mer every time it ate a graphics driver.)

I came to terms with 98 and actually liked Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003, but there was something about that generation of Windows that was like sticking my head into a box of ether; I learned just enough to keep my computer and my wife's computer and the home server we had for a while running, but somehow the will to have adventures, and to learn more than I needed just for the thrill of learning, wasn't there. That returned with Linux.

I had to try to revive a computer with Windows 98 on it earlier this year (family estate issues). Lord, was that a journey into a murky past! The computer didn't have USB or a network port; I had to copy the crucial files onto some floppy disks I'd had around and then try to figure out how to get them onto a machine that worked. And even looking at the Windows 98 desktop...it was so dreary and nondescript (of course, that could have been the graphics card in this unfortunate computer, which belched forth the needed statements and that very evening crossed the Styx); I can't imagine how it ever could have been the Next Big Thing, but it sure 'nuff was. I was so much older then....

• Like 1