Can't open firefox

rolanaj

I installed the chromedit extension to firefox, closed the browser and now it won't open at all. I am using Mandrake 9.1. Is there anyway to remove the extension without opening the program? If this means a clean install that is ok but I would like to save my bookmarks. I am using Mozilla at the moment, I am unable to open an earlier version of firebird as well.

Ok rolanaj, I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I can try to help :) .Is there an error message of any kind when you start it?If you open it from a console (for instance, my install is at /usr/local/bin/firefox, so type /path/to/your/install/firefox (might still be firebird depending on what version you are using) and then see if it gives you an error.If that gives no error and it still won't start, then do the same, /path/to/your/install/firefox but append the -ProfileManager, so it would be "/path/to/your/install/firefox -ProfileManager" and create a new one using the buttons on the left hand side. The name of it doesn't matter. See if using that profile will let you run firefox.Your bookmarks can be saved either way though! They are stored in your profile:for the 0.8 release (and earlier) it is at: ~/.phoenix/default/xxxxxxxx.slt (8 random characters and the .slt extension).for nightly builds after around the middle of march, it is at: ~/.firefox/default/xxxxxxxx.sltEither way, your bookmarks are saved in a file called "bookmarks.html" that sits right underneath the xxxxxxxx.slt directory. Just copy it to another location and you should be good to go! You can just re-copy them back into the new profile directory if that does indeed solve your problem of not being able to start Firefox.But first just try a new profile and see if you can at least get it running. If it won't even let you make a new profile, there is a way to uninstall extensions by hand, but it is ugly (and I'd have to look it up ;) --not where we want to go)

Hi Steeler Fan,I did get firefox 0.8 to open from a console, but all the extensions I had added to it are gone except digger. No bookmarks were there except the ones that come with the program. Firebird 0.8.0+ opened from the console with an error NM_AggregatorMessageDataSourceFactory.createInstance( ). This popped up an error message about

Mozilla BETAYou are running a Beta version of Mozilla.  Please note that NewsMonster may have problems running on this versions of Mozilla.  While you
Seems to get cut off there. I had added the newsmonster extension but disabled it when I couldn't get it to work right. I tried disabling it again and opening it but it still comes up with this error. I did get my bookmarks though thanks for the tip on where to find them. I think I probably should uninstall Firebird and see if Firefox works then and if not maybe I can try reinstalling it.

Now this is interesting I tried to delete the MozillaFirebird folder and access was denied as I wasn't root. My computer froze not sure why, but on reboot I opened Mozilla and all my bookmarks were back. I then tried to open firefox from the menu and it opened too, all the bookmarks are now there. Went to the folder for MozillaFirebird and it is empty. I will remove it as root, is it safe to remove programs like this? There is no way to remove firebird through the MCC as it isn't listed there, probably because it was downloaded and installed. All my extensions are gone though except diggler.

When you opened it from the console, were you root? If so, that is probably why you couldn't find any extensions/bookmarks. If you type "cd ~/" while root it will take you to a different place than if you type "cd ~/" while regular user. Profiles are stored under "~/" so it looked there, which is not where your profile is for user. Also, the digger extension is probably stored in the application directory, not the profile, which is why you could still use it.When you opened it from a console, did you create a new profile? If not, please do so now. You can bring your bookmarks in and be free from old extensions. You can keep your old profile (should be "default") alongside so you can bring your settings in later after you get it running again.Also, about the MozillaFirebird folder...is this for Firefox? Are you using a nightly or the 0.8 release? Because of the "0.8.0+" I thought you were using a nightly...can you paste your UA String here? (Help>About Mozilla Firefox...should look like this "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040408 Firefox/0.8.0+")

I probably was root when I opened from the console. I have removed MozillaFirebird, it seemed to have a seperate folder than Firefox. I still don't have any of the other extensions but I will download them again. I have created another profile as well. Default wasn't there anymore by the way not sure why.My UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040207 Firefox/0.8 Firebird had the 0.8.0+ which I thought was a little strange because shouldn't it have been 0.7?

Well it seems like you got it all worked out! Just bring your old bookmarks back in, and redownload your extensions and you should be good to go! It seems like your "MozillaFirebird" build was newer than the one you are using now (which would explain the "0.8.0+" -- it seems like now you are using the 0.8 release, although I thought it was 20040209, but I could be wrong). If I recall correctly, they didn't change the names from MozillaFirebird to Firefox until a little after the release.Don't worry though, you have it working, which is good! If you have any more problems (or if your problem here isn't really fixed), be sure to bring them here and I (and of course everyone else!) will be glad to help!Just in case, here is a direct download link to ChromEdit. Just click right on it and the install should start. Close and reopen the browser, and you should be good to go!

Now that was fast clicked on the link you gave and it was installed, I closed my browser and reopened and there is the edit user files option under tools. Thats just what I started out to do :D guess I just took a roundabout way to get here. Now I am going to go back and look at the tutorial on using firefox again and see what kind of trouble I can get into. Thanks for the help this place is great.

Well everything was going ok I installed several different extensions, closing and reopening my browser each time, until I installed session saver. It installed but when I tried to open it it came up like it was trying to open and then nothing it just stopped. Tried opening it from a console and couldn't do it until I logged in as root, which opens it without any bookmarks at all of course. Might I have a flakey version of firefox and should I just remove it and start over?

Where are you trying to get your extensions from? Try looking at http://extensionroom.mozdev.org if you aren't already.It looks like you are going to have to make another new profile :D . Now that you have done it once though, it should go easier (but it is still a pain to do). Just make sure to copy your bookmarks. As I said before, it is possible to remove extensions by going in and removing them from the profile dir, but I don't know how, and it involves removing lines from files like chrome.rdf. You would be better off just making a new profile.Also, you could try a new nightly version of Fx, available here but remember, use these at your own risk. Also, if you install a nightly, make sure that the directory you install to is EMPTY. It can be the same as now (for instance, mine is /usr/local/bin/firefox/ ; there are no files underneath /firefox though) but it has to be empty, or you can have problems.

Do you think it might be wise to start with a fresh install, it seems like something is really messed up here. If I do delete the program I have to remove /usr/local/bin/firefox/firefox right? Is there anything else I have to remove like maybe the hidden directory /.pheonix ?

You can optionally delete the .phoenix directory. That is where the profile is stored.Are you going to try a nightly? If so, the .phoenix directory can stay as it is, because they switch over to a .firefox profile directory. If you do delete the .phoenix directory, BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR BOOKMARKS SAVED SOMEWHERE ELSE (sorry for yelling :) ). Also, if you have done any user.js, userContent.css or userChrome.css editing, be sure to copy those somewhere else too, or you will lose them.So, for a new install do this:1) Backup all important profile files (bookmarks, user* files, prefs.js, signons.txt)2) Download the build you are interested in3) Remove /usr/local/bin/firefox/firefox4) Remove ~/.phoenix !!!Only after backing up profile data!!!5) Install the new build in /usr/local/bin/firefox (you can just untar the .tar.gz file in /usr/local/bin/ as the files are all in a nice firefox dir anyway, but it doesn't matter either way)6) Run the new build once7) Close it and then copy all the old profile data back in (remember, if its a nightly, the profile is now in ~/.firefox !)8) You should be able to run Firefox just fine again. Get extensions from http://extensionroom.mozdev.org )Hope that helps,Neil :w00t:

Thanks Steeler Fan,That worked great, I have it reinstalled. I went with firefox 0.8 again hopefully I won't run into the same issues again. I bookmarked the link you gave me for extensions and removed the other one so I didn't go there by mistake. Now to go see if it works this time.

Thanks Steeler Fan,That worked great, I have it reinstalled.  I went with firefox 0.8 again hopefully I won't run into the same issues again.  I bookmarked the link you gave me for extensions and removed the other one so I didn't go there by mistake.  Now to go see if it works this time.
If the "other one" was @ texturizer.net, then that shouldn't be a problem either. However, mozdev's site is just fine too. Basically, as long as it works, it doesn't matter :) .Glad I could be of some helpNeil :w00t: