outlook express ?????

longgone

B) :lol: zlim...well tried to do that but the end result was not an icon that looked like building blocks ... it was an icon that looked like a steno pad .. and nothing happens when I click on it once or twice .... so still outta luck ....new problem .... when I try to accees mozilla email or mozilla mail .. whaterver it is callled ... I now get the response .. failed to connectyo to server mail.access-4-free.com. This is when I click on the envelope icon in the task bar (I think that is where it is at) ... lower left corner of the screen ... but I can go to the email through the IE icon in the start menu .... what hoppened to the lizard mail...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Ed_P

• nlinecomputers

• James M. Fisher

well tried to do that but the end result was not an icon that looked like building blocks ... it was an icon that looked like a steno pad .. and nothing happens when I click on it once or twice
The file is misnamed. RIGHT click on the file, choose Rename and make sure the file's name ends with .reg.A thought, do you see the file extentions when using Explorer? It's possible they could be suppressed which means your file may not have .reg as it's suffix. WE>Tools>Options>View>uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types.

The host 'mail.access-4-free.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.access-4-free.com', Server: 'mail.access-4-free.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D......Well ... so much for Mozilla ... it is removed ... at least for the time being .. I have more serious problems now ... the above info is from my email (obviously B) ) and I have been unable to access the account for a few days now .... 2 days for sure while Mozilla was the email client and a day trying to use OE as the email client .... I have checked both the accounts and options under the tools tab in OE and all seems to be fine .. (of course I might not be looking in the right place either) ..... so does anyone have an idea where my loss of email is at ????????Will try the LIzard again at a later date but for now ... Dino the Red is in a holding pattern

nlinecomputers

If both clients are not seeing the server then it's probably on there end. Why did you uninstall Moz? Isn't that like shooting the messenger?Have you installed a firewall or other software that might be the cause of this problem?Edit: I just tried to ping that server and my system can't find it. I think it's down.

nlinecomputers
Pinging access-4-free.com [64.63.192.39] with 32 bytes of data:Request timed out.Request timed out.Request timed out.Request timed out.Ping statistics for 64.63.192.39:    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

They are down.

Interesting. I can bring up their homepage and browse their site but I can't PING them either. And in that I don't use Access4Free or visit their website it's unlikely I'm pulling a page up from my browser's cache.

:o B) :P EdP/inlinecomputers .....I too, can bring up the home page but not the email account .... this is what I got from Mozilla mail .. "failed to connect to server "mail.access-4-free.com". .... Removed the "Red Lizard" completely (I think) to do a fresh re-install to see if that can help me get the "Java" to work on the pogo web site .....For EdP.....WE>Tools>Options>View>uncheck the hide extensions for known file types :D B) :P you lost me ... (again) but when I tried the copy and paste it showed to be a .txt file which I tried to change to a .reg file but all it did was make it into a .reg txt file ... so I know I am doing it wrong but not sure where to start to make it right at ... isn't there just some way I can get into the registery and make the entry there .... or is that someplace I should stay out of ??????WE ???????

nlinecomputers

Well when I tried earlier I couldn't ping or bring up the site. Site still does not ping but is now viewable. The smtp server will not ping(set to block pinging I'd guess) but does respond to DNS lookups. Attempts to ping mail.access-4-free.com get a unknown host error.Sounds like the mail server is down or it's only accessable inside of their domain, but as you get the same error from you mail client. It sounds like to me that they are down.You are dialing into access-4-free.com when you try and get you mail. You are not using someother ISP are you? Some ISPs block outside access to there mail servers.

when I tried the copy and paste it showed to be a .txt file
I suspected as much.
WE ???????
Windows Explorer. Sorry, tried to save a keystroke or two.
WE>Tools>Options>View>uncheck the hide extensions for known file types
Open Windows Explorer, click on Tools in the Windows Explorer menu, click on Folder Options in the Tools menu, click on the View tab in the Folder Options window. Scroll down the Advanced Settings box till you see the option Hide extensions for known file types. Remove the check mark in front of the option. Click on the OK button at the bottom. (whew, lot of typing. I need a break. :huh: )Ok, dbl click on your regedit txt file. Does it open in Notepad? If so, click on File>Save As. In the Save As window make the File name box's name end in .reg (like zlims.reg or mozs.reg or dumbfile.reg :) ) AND make the Save as type box to be All files. Click the Save button.Dbl click on the newly saved file.
isn't there just some way I can get into the registery and make the entry there ....
What and miss all this!! :o :D

:o :o inlinecomputers/EdPinlinecomputers ... nope ... using same ISP for both Web and email ... have sent them an email detailing the the problem and got an auto response back via WebMail ... Guess it just a matter of time ...EdP .... :) :( I know you must mean IE Internet Explorer ... right ... when I click on the tools tab at the top this is what I get in the drop down menuMail and NewsSynchronizeWindows Update(Seperator line)Messengerebay tool barYahoo MessengerSun Java Consol(Seperator line)Internet Optionsand that is all .... no View tab .. so no folder options ... so I can't do none of that stuff ... as is currently set up .... :huh: :D :o

:( :o :D :o :huh: EdP.....Okay ... I'll bite ... how do I do that in IE .. since that is the browser I am using or .... how do I go to WE to do what you are suggesting ... or is there another route that I should use .... ????? :) :o

:huh: :D :o EdP..Never mind I found the critter..... (coulda just said the "my documents" folder ) ... I made the change (the uncheck) now back to square one

coulda just said the "my documents" folder
I coulda said "turn on the pc" too. :unsure: B) My DocumentsMy ComputerStart>All Programs>Accessories>Windows ExplorerStart>Help and Support>Search box>enter Windows Explorer, click on the arrow.Some desktop iconsetc.
now back to square one
Now back to editing and Saving the reg file as described previously.
Ok, dbl click on your regedit txt file.  Does it open in Notepad?  If so, click on File>Save As.  In the Save As window make the File name box's name end in .reg (like zlims.reg or mozs.reg or dumbfile.reg :'( ) AND make the Save as type box to be All files. Click the Save button.Dbl click on the newly saved file.     

B) :unsure: EdP..No, back to square one .... all that stuff that I did before has already been deleted from the machine .... (if it don't work the first time .. DELETE) ... so back to the beginning ... should I re-install the "red lizard" or do it later, since that was what precipted this in the first place ... :'( :hmm: :hmm: ;) :)

Well if you can still get to Pogo with IE, I would;Defrag the hard driveDo a System Restore backup Redownload Mozilla (or wait for Netscape 7.2 B) )Reinstall MozillaAnd if you have problems review the options mentioned in this thread. And I would try the zlim reg change fix 1st if I had problems.

EdP/inlinecomputers ...EdP...Did all that you suggested .. except for a new d/l of Mozilla and a reinstall .. I did the disk defrag (3 times) , then the system restore ... (back to Mon the 12th) .. this in turn bumped back several auto updates that I had to do again (I use Big Fix for that) so now the next step will be the d/l and reinstall of "Big Red Lizzzzard" .... but next question first ..EdP/inlinecomputers ....After I did the aforementioned system restore ... I (just for the heck of it) tried to access my email account ... it worked ... (except for that window that started this whole thread) ... all the mail d/l'd fine. After I started the d/l and install of the updates (and also the MS security update CD) I ended up with the situation I had yesterday where I could not access my email through either "Red Lizard Mail" or OE ... the question is ... could it have been possible for one of those updates to have caused that problem with the email or was the email just setting on the server waiting for me to access it and then it d/l'd as normal ... would like your advice/input on that before I go any further along this road..BTW ... when I d/l the "Big Red Lizard" I am going to try the 1.7 version and see what I can mess up with it :) :D :D .... after all someone told me that if it couldn't get fixed in these forums ... it could not be fixed (or words to that effect) :o :o :)

nlinecomputers

Dale,I'm not sure I follow correctly so forgive my stupid questions.You used system restore to roll back to a known good date and the email now works.You used the new Microsoft Security CD to install patches and installed all the patches from Windows Update.E-mail is now broken again? Did the security CD prompt you to turn on your firewall in XP or did you load the Anti-virus/firewall that is on the second CD? If so you may have accidently blocked access to the net.

:o :o inlinecomputers...Ahhhhh ... before I answer ... from my Naval career ... there is no such thing as a stupid question ... only stupid answers ... :) :) :D now on to the answer ... I did 3 defrags just to make sure that all was clean to start with .. did the system restore back to the 12th ... there were 3 restore dates after the 12th but I did not use them since the original thread was started because of the window that kept popping in when I tried to access the email in the first place (further back in the trhread). After the system restore was done, I was alerted to either 4 or 5 updates that needed to be reinstalled (guess the system restore took them out). I did all of them and then did the MS security CD update (the only thing I got from it was a quick way to install media player 9) all was good according to it. In between the time the system restore was done and I started to re-install the updates, I did access my email account and it did connect (still had that annoying window too) and I got all of my email up to that point (I had previously accessed Web Mail from the home page so I knew what was there). After completing the update/CD installs I rebooted and tried to access OE mail again and was back to the problem with the server we discussed yesterday/day before. Now, today, Wednesday 21 April, I tried to access the OE mail and by gum, it works fine (except for that #%@#&% window again, got to get rid of that) d/l'd all waiting mail with no problems. I did get an email from the tech support people at the ISP and they admitted that they were having intermittent connection problems with their mail servers. So,,,, I guess that the lack of email is more or less taken care of (now to get rid of that window) ... so that is the latest on what has happened so far.. I did not use the second CD in the set from MS to answer there rest of your question.

nlinecomputers

Ok sounds like all your email problems were on there end. For the moment I wouldn't make any changes trying to react to that problem as it is not on your end. Ya know don't change the lightbulb because the power is out.What is this windows thing you're refereing to. I thought that was your error message and you shouldn't be getting that AND be able to get mail. Can you clarify that?

:) :D inlinecomputers....The window that started this whole thread ... and then we got a little side tracked but back to the original ..... When I click on the mail icon in the task bar at the top to receive my email ... it goes to the OE server (I guess) but then a window opens up .. with Outlook Express in the upper left corner (with an alert icon up there too) and it states that "a dial-up networking connection is already established to 'access-4-free' then it has to selections listed one is .. try to locate the server on the current connection (this is the one I always use to complete the connection) .. the other one says hang up and dial access-4-free .... I have tried that one too and all I end up doing as getting an instant replay over and over .. it does not ever get me to where I want to get to ... and last in the lower left corner is a box that says don't warn me about this (a check box) that is the annoying pain in the tush that started this whole thread ... I have removed the other two ISP's (freebies)from every place they could be,, I have totally deleted the access-4-free connection and redone it too and have totall redone the email connection and nothing seems to get rid of that window ... got a brainstorm for me ?????

nlinecomputers

In outlook express under the Tools menu and options goto the Connection Tab. Please report ALL the settings you find there.Hit the "Change" button and report all the setting there too.If you can do screenshots so much the better.Thanks,

:D :D :) inlinecomputers.....Couldn't do screen shots (have no idea how) copy an paste would not work, seems I can't highlight those windows (???) but OE>tools>options>connections> dial up section,,, only thing checked is the ask before switching dial-up connections box in the internet connections settings ... OE shares your internet connection settings with IE click on change button and it took me to the connections tab there too and all it says under the dial up/vpn settings is that access4free is my default connection and that is all tht is listed .....hope this helps

nlinecomputers

Ok uncheck the "Ask before switching" Box in OE.That is the root of your problem, I'd guess.One more thing to check in OE.Goto Tools/Accounts and bring up your access-4-free account. Under the connection tab please report what you see there: I would try unchecking the checkbox marked "Always connect using this account"or I'd make sure that the dial up account selected is the correct one for your dial up account.In Internet Explorer under the connection tab you need to make sure that the "Always dial default connection button is selected"

inlinecomputers....okay unchecked ..... and in tools/accounts access4free is highlighted and it is the default connection and under the connections heading it says any available and I checked on the always dial default connection selection in IE ... now for the test ...

PMJII think what EdP meant when he said "do a System Restore backup" was to use System Restore to create a NEW restore point after you did the defrag not do a restore. Rolling back to a restore point negates the defrag. In fact, doing a restore after doing a defrag is dangerous.To do a screen print, click on the Print Screen key then open Paint click on Edit then Paste. Tada there is your screen image. If you are going to save it or post it here make sure you save it as a JPEG type file. The default is BMP and they are too hugh for posting online.hth

inlinecomputers/JoSinlinecomputers....Thank you, all is good at the home front ... the PIB window is no longer .. this is good .... Once again thank you ..... onto the next project ... the installation of "Red Lizard 1.7" :D :) :lol: :D JoS....Thanks for the tip ... I now have knowledge to do screen shots (if it works or not reamains to be seen)... Well little late for the restore point ... the System restore is already done .... and seems no worse for the wear so far ... only time will tell :)

I think what EdP meant when he said "do a System Restore backup" was to use System Restore to create a NEW restore point after you did the defrag not do a restore.
That is correct. Thanks JoS.Sorry for the confusion longgone.If you have not redownloaded Mozilla yet you may be in luck. They just put up a new 1.7 RC1 version. And if you can wait another month you can get the 1.7 FINAL version. (And shortly after that you can get Netscape 7.2 but don't tell nlinecomputers I told you.) B)

James M. Fisher

Just to sidetrack this thread a bit: Can one install each new version of Mozilla overtop of the existing one? For instance, I have 1.7b at the moment. When 1.7 Final is released, can I over-install, or should I uninstall the older version first? What has been your experience?

nlinecomputers

Installing on top is fine from what I've seen. Your settings will not be affected but plugins sometimes take a hit. Maybe Steeler fan for Life will see this. He's the daily build guy....