outlook express ?????

longgone

James ....I never did bother to check and see if it was a browser specific web site.... I shall do that (or try to) .... and ahhhh :P :P :D .... I guess it would be the windows desktop ... but I would rather look at that (has some good pics) rather than a more or less blank page with a folder on it ... :) :o :blink: Also ... Since this Ad-Aware cleansing was done ... this ole puter has gotten a bit faster at what it does ....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Ed_P

• nlinecomputers

• James M. Fisher

.... a web site that I visit to play some onl line games (pogo.com) has a procedure that when you go onto the web site and select the game to play, it has an icon that you click on an it will take you to that game.... well ... I click and that is the end of it ... can't get into the game to play it ... any suggestios .....
Pogo.com uses Java. You need to either install Java in your browser or if it's already there to Enable it. I use Netscape and have been to Pogo many of times. Too many probably. :)

EdP.... :) :o I thought of that ... but reasoned that since it worked with the OE/IE setup that it would be fine ... after further thought and deduction came to the reality that The JAVA I was using was not really part of the Windows XP but part of the IE ... am d/lng JAVA now or at least I hope I am .... it is taking forever to do it .... sheeesssshhh ... oh for the days of high speed again.

Guest LilBambi

In Windows, SUN Java 1.4.2 and Acrobat Reader seem to work very well with the existing plugins you have on your computer, they do not seem to be browser specific but machine specific.SUN Java (latest version):SUN Java 1.4.2 downloadAcrobat Reader - In Windows it took advantage of the existing Acroreader installation for Mozilla, although there is a specific plugger Acroread plugin for Mozillla for Linux).http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/pro...latform=WindowsThere are several other great plugins, and these are specific to the Mozilla/Firefox family of browsers, that you might want to download and then run:(Be sure to go to the following sites with your Mozilla browser to download and then install the proper plugin for your OS/Mozilla based browser)FlashPlayer:FlashPlayer DownShockwave:Shockwave DownloadI have no problems at all with Java sites in Mozilla with the above SUN Java installed on my Windows computer.Hope this helps with your Pogo.

If you can find your old download of Java reinstalling it should be sufficient. The Java plugins are in the c:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1.xxx\bin folder and get copied to the Netscape\Plugins folder which should be similar to the Moz Plugins folder.I have 6 in Netscape; NPJava11.dll, NPJava12.dll, NPJava13.dll, NPJava32.dll, NPJPI141_02.dll and NPOJI610.dll.

Guest LilBambi

FYI: On my Windows, Mozilla 1.6 and Firefox 0.8 found the existing 1.4.2 SUN Java and Acrobat Reader in it's current location, no intervention on my part was needed.

Any idea why longgone's install of Mozilla 6 didn't pick up the version of Java his IE uses?
I'd be curious to hear an answer to that also. I had a working version of Java. I uninstalled Firebird and one of the results was non-functioning Java in Mozilla (1.6) and Firefox 0.8. I spent yesterday downloading Java 91.4.2_04) 3 times and it never worked on my desktop. I've finally uninstalled it because it isn't working. (When I went to check on a help forum, I discovered that I was not the only person who can't seem to get java to work).I don't have Mozilla installed on my nb and the java install went perfect there.I may uninstall Mozilla from my desktop and then download java again.Several hours later...I removed Mozilla (manually because when I tried to do it from add/remove an error popped up telling me that it could not find the Uninstall log folder). I found the uninstall log folder but again when I clicked on the uninstall icon, I got the same error. I ended up printing out 11 pages of the install text file and going in and manually erasing filers, folders and registry items.I'm puzzled because both Mozilla and Firefox are at two locations: in a mozilla folder and in a mozilla.org folder. I removed mozilla and GRE from both places but left Firefox alone.Firefox seems fine - both profiles are intact. I downloaded java for the 5th time and alas it still doesn't work.Then I went here: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html and read this
On some systems, JRE 1.4.2 does not work. In this case, you can use JRE 1.4.1_07 until the issue you are having is resolved.
From all the trouble I'm having, I assume that my desktop is "a system" that 1.4.2 doesn't work. :blink: :D :whistling: :blink:

Guest LilBambi

That's a very good question.Have you gone to the Control Panel and opened the Java Applet there to make sure that Mozilla is one of the browsers it is enabled for?Also, I remember reading that the later versions of Mozilla require a later version of the SUN Java VM. Minimum: 1.4.2Just so folks know how I got it to work which might provide some clue to others struggling with this.I did not install Mozilla or Firefox (actually Firebird and before that Phoenix) till I already had a working model of Java Plugin working with Internet Explorer. I didn't do this intentionally, it was just how it happened.Then when I installed Mozilla and Firefox, I verified that the SUN Java Applet was enabled for for Mozilla and Firefox in the Control Panel. I never had to do any file moving or other interevention to get it to work. I just made sure I had a working SUN Java for IE first (before installing Mozilla and Firebird and later Firefox) and verified that Java Applet was enabled for Mozilla.I even upgraded to the later Java when I found a site that wouldn't load right. Then enabled Mozilla and Firebird in the newer version as well in the older Java Applet. Later I disabled the earlier version of Java entirely in the Java Applet in the Control Panel.So, maybe the Java Applet in the Control Panel is the first place to start looking?If that doesn't help, maybe uninstalling Mozilla and removing the profile in Documents and Settings for Mozilla. Then reboot, and go to the SUN Java download site using IE to get the newest version of SUN Java. Then make sure Java sites on that they have as demos do load in IE.Then reboot, and install Mozilla again. Make sure Java Applet is enabled for Mozilla browser in the Control Panel and then go to the Java demo sites to make sure it is loading properly.If not, after doing all this, maybe there are errant registry garbage entries that are getting in the way that were left over from previous install. Sorry no real answers, but maybe at least some diagnostic possibilities.

I've been doing the control panel thing for 2 days, also.Both computers give me this javaerror.jpgThe nb with ME, java works, despite that popup. The desktop with 2K where java had been working refuses to work.Eventually someone will figure out what the problem is. I guess for the time being, I'll uninstall 1.4.2_04 and see if 1.4.1_7 will work.And yes, I am logged in on the 2K system as admin so I can change browser settings

Guest LilBambi
I've been doing the control panel thing for 2 days, also.Both computers give me this javaerror.jpgThe nb with ME, java works, despite that popup. The desktop with 2K where java had been working refuses to work.Eventually someone will figure out what the problem is. I guess for the time being, I'll uninstall 1.4.2_04 and see if 1.4.1_7 will work.And yes, I am logged in on the 2K system as admin so I can change browser settings
zlim,Are you using SpywareBlaster, or some other registry changer stopper that would prevent changes to browser settings?If you are using Spyware Blaster or any other registry changer stopper program, you might want to disable the changes till you get it working and then reenable them afterwards.Just a thought.

:hmm: :hmm: :huh: :huh: :unsure: :unsure: Welll..... here is an update ... opened up IE went to Pogo, selected the game I wanted, opened it up and played a few games ... no problems. Removed Mozilla from my computer and did a reinstall of it to see if the first time around had a problem .. no change .. still can't get into that game ... but I can through IE so I guess that will have to do or now ... did a try a d/o of Java but got the impression that I would be pushing up daffy dills before it got done ... slow did not even come close to a description.BTW ... I took a look at my control panel and a icon for Java is not to be seen anywhere there. My copy of Windows XP is prior to the MS/Sun tiiff that shut down the Java VM on Windows and it is my own copy not a d/l from the web.Unrelated subject.... has anyone d/l'd any Linux distros from Overnet .. just curious :hmm: :ermm:

I GOT IT WORKING!!!!I uninstalled 1.4.2 and installed 1.4.1. My heart sank when I went into control panel and Mozilla wasn't even listed as a browser choice. :unsure: :unsure: :ermm: :hmm: So I nosed around the mozdev site some more to see if I could find any other tips. I finally stumbled on this

REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla]"CurrentVersion"="1.5"
I made the above reg file, clicked on it to install and java now works! (I don't think it was specific to 1.4.1, I think this was for anyone having trouble with Firefox). I wonder if that key was in there and removed when I uninstalled Firebird? I'll never know. I'm just glad finally it's working. If I get brave in the next week or so, I may upgrade to 1.4.2.

longone try a utility that GolfProRM pointed me to called IEView. When you go to the Pogo.com website in Moz, RIGHT click on it and IEView will give you the option to View This Page in IE. Choose it and it will automatically open in IE. It's really clever.I found it at http://ieview.mozdev.org/.You might also try the Regedit that zlim found above. It's easy enough to try. Do a System Restore backup, run the edit, do a reboot, try Pogo.com with Moz. If it works you're home free, if not go back to System Restore and do a restore.zlim, Congratulations!! :unsure: And thanks for the update.

Guest LilBambi
I GOT IT WORKING!!!!I uninstalled 1.4.2 and installed 1.4.1. My heart sank when I went into control panel and Mozilla wasn't even listed as a browser choice.  :unsure:  :ermm:  :hmm:  :hmm: So I nosed around the mozdev site some more to see if  I could find any other tips. I finally stumbled on this
REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla]"CurrentVersion"="1.5"
I made the above reg file, clicked on it to install and java now works! (I don't think it was specific to 1.4.1, I think this was for anyone having trouble with Firefox). I wonder if that key was in there and removed when I uninstalled Firebird? I'll never know. I'm just glad finally it's working. If I get brave in the next week or so, I may upgrade to 1.4.2.
Awesome zlim! :unsure:

:unsure: :ermm: :hmm: :huh: Congratulations to zlim ..... I also got if to work finally but by a whole different method .... the information that the tech support at pogo sent me ... was more hassle than it was worth ... had tried to d/l Java twice and that seemed to want to take until the next century rolls on in (BTW I would not be here) so last night my time I just sent directly to Suns' web site and d/l'd Java direct ...... :unsure: :hmm: :hmm: son-of-a-gun ... now it works, I can go to pogo and get to the game I want and play it too.... and with less work then in IE .... Life is once again an amazing institution ... :huh:

James M. Fisher
Yeah!!!! Congratulations longgone
This has beem one interesting thread, I must say! :huh: We went from IE/OE to free internet, sidetracked a bit into the US Navy, then to Mozilla and ended up with Sun's Java! (Did I miss anything?)Phew! :P

B) :) :angry: :D :P :huh: I spoke to soon, darn the luck, there is a Leprechaun hidden in my machine. Last night all was good to go ... this morning I am unable to access the game again .... tried link that EdP put up and it does say "open target in IE" but when I try to do it ... I get a quick page change and right back to the main home page ... tried to go to IE direct to get in and now it does not let me in either (this is after I d/l'd the Java web start from Sun) .... I has the feeling that more research is needed here ..... ( Where is that comic book at)

longgone :D :P :) :huh: Have you looked at the Java Applet in the Control Panel? Is it possible you did a System Restore at some point?If you still have the Java download you can reinstall it easily enough.

EdP....Originally I did not have a Java applet in my control panel ... then I d/l'd Java from the Sun web site direct and now I do have a Java applet (Java web start) in the control panel ... but so far it is not doing me any good at all clicked it open and then clicked on open but all that did was bring up 4 different programs/applications .... but ...... I did go ovef to IE and remove the pogo.com link from favorites ... went to it from the address box and then added it to favorites again and it worked .... one thing I have noticed about pogo is that on occassion the URL for the particular game site I am attemption to access changes .. and at the old site nothing is there so I never can connect ... just played a couple of games in IE .. using IE as the browser and it worked ... I am just so confused by cyber space .... I think I will try another install of Slack and see what I can do there ..... :P :o :'( did a system restore about a week ago ...but not recently

one thing I have noticed about pogo is that on occassion the URL for the particular game site I am attemption to access changes
That happens and not just to Pogo.com. Games at MyWay.com do the same thing. They don't want you to go to the games directly they want you to access the games through their menu page or in some cases their signin/logon page. This might explain some of the problems you've had.Do you see Moz in your CP Java menu?Ya know what, you're bad luck. I just checked the CP Java app on my pc and I see that Netscape 6 is checked but not IE. However, 1) I have Netscape 7 not 6 and 2) I can access Pogo.com just fine with my IE. Further checking shows that the Java CP app is for Java 1.4.1_02 and the Java IE is using is 1.4.1_03!!! :D :o I have a JAVA folder in Windows and I have one in Programs Files also. :huh:I'm not going to converse with you anymore or my system may get screwed up also. :P :o :'(

B) :lol: :( :P :o EdP.....Ouch ... tallk about a swift kick in the ole cajones .... guess I am not wanted ... darn .... can't win for losing .... in the control panel .. when I click on the newly arrived Java applet in the basic tab it has hide consol and show in system tray indicated ... in advanced it say use java plug in default and in browser it has IE and Mozilla both checked after that the rest of the tabs are pretty much blank .. (no entries).... B) :D

I was only kidding longgone, I'll keep conversing with ya but if my system gets screwed up ...... :) :o I have similar Java tabs except a.) on the Browser tab it only shows Netscape as being checked and b.) the Advanced tab's Runtime Environment window is scrollable! :) I can choose either the 1.4.1_02 version, the 1.4.1_03 version or even Other... in place of the Plug-in Default option. Is your Runtime Environ window scrollable also? Course both your browsers are checked and Java works for you in IE. :unsure: :lol: Did you try zlim's regedit suggestion?

:clap: :worthy: EdP......I know that but I could not pass up the opportunity that was there .... on the advanced tab I also have scrollable .... jre 1.4.2_04 and other ... and on the browser tab bot IE and Mozilla are checked. Netscape is not checked, I did select it (tried to) but it told me I can't do that since I did not have Netscape on the 'puter. :whistling: :lol:

on the browser tab bot IE and Mozilla are checked. Netscape is not checked, I did select it (tried to) but it told me I can't do that since I did not have Netscape on the 'puter.
:lol: :whistling: Well I don't have Mozilla as an option. Did you ever have Netscape on your pc?Your Control Panel Java app settings appear to be fine. And Java works for IE. At this point I recommend you try the Registry edit zlim found. We're running out of options. :worthy:

:whistling: :lol: Edp.......Welll.... I could try that if I knew how to make changes/additions to the registery. I have never done that .... want to give me a short how-to/tutorial on it ..... :worthy:

Short tut on making a registry change:1. Open notepad or whatever program you use to do small text files2. Copy and paste the following into the program :REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla]"CurrentVersion"="1.5"3. Click on file and then Save AS ****Instead of saving it as a .txt file, you will be saving it as a .reg fileI also save the file to my desktop so I don't have to search for it.4. When you check out your desktop, you'll see an icon that has bluish building blocks. Double-click it and a popup will appear asking if you are sure that you want to add this to the registry. Click "Yes" and it's done.See if java now works. I hope it works for you as it finally does for me after 2 days of trying lots of things.If not, you can always go in and remove the entry of the registry or just let it there.