YES ! Got my Mandrake 9.1 PowerPack

Bruno

UPDATE:Slack 8.1 was not happy. Downloading Slackware 9.0 right now ! B)  Bruno
Bruno, glad to hear you're progressing, and tweaking/upgrading at the same time. When you get a spare minute, can you tell me if it's possible to install a package that was designed for Slackware 9.0, on Mandrake 9.1? Have it d/l, but it won't install. :) Getting a message in Konsole that says: permission denied. Do I have to logon as Root? Any help is greatly appreciated, TIA.

Slack packages don´t like Mandrake ! Better get an mdk pakage:http://rpmfind.net/You do have to be root to install any package.I see you´re having fun ! Keep it up. B) Bruno

Slack packages don´t like Mandrake ! Better get an mdk pakage:http://rpmfind.net/You do have to be root to install any package.I see you´re having fun ! Keep it up. B)  Bruno
Thanks, Bruno, that's what I was afraid of. :) And yes, Linux is enjoyable even in failure. B)

UPDATE:Today I wiped the unhappy Slackware 8.1 and installed Slack 9.0 in 20 minutes flat, full setup including configuring X and internet access, could not even finish my coffee in time !Slackware 9.0 is extremely happy, has the new KDE 3.1, the Midnight Commander and a bundle of other programs. I think I could easily get hooked on this distro. :)I still have to built Slack in Mandrake´s Lilo, but will need to study the files on the Slack bootdisk, they are all in scrambled Chinese characters !I integrated Debian yesterday in Lilo and will post a how-to in the ¨Starters¨ thread tonight.For now I use KDE on all 3 disto´s, makes it easy to get accustomed to the ¨new¨ ones, later I will give each of them their own windowmanager: KDE for Mandrake, Debian feels like a bit oldfashon so will probably get Gnome, Slackware will definitely get IceWM ! B) Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Sounds like you can now kick back, enjoy the new systems and do special configurations, etc. and have that coffee ;)Sounds like a lot of fun!Having different Window Managers will sure make it easier to tell which OS you are currently running B) I generally use KDE, but on older boxes ICE is very nice! Small, light and powerful.

Hi Fran:Kick back you say ? Didn´t you notice this forum is booming, I get lots of posts here in the Linux department !All Things Linux is No 3 in Topic´s count and No 4 in the Replies count !!! And growing every day, Rock and Roll <_< I´ve got a nice crowd of very nice people in here !Your humble Mod, :blink: Bruno

Guest LilBambi

LOL! <_ bruno you are so much fun yes thunderriver mike and peachy have to be happy about in all things linux.all of your great postings linux tips distro installations really been very exciting heightened folks interest understanding job src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_blink.png" alt=":blink:">

Fran:It´s all those great people that are posting replies and threads that make this forum ! ! ! Where would us Mods be without them ? <_< Bruno

UPDATE: I´ve got my Lilo sorted out, all distro´s boot from the same bootmenu, adding Slackware was much more simple then I thought, my attempts were far to complicated . . . . but then suddenly it struck me as lightning . . now the job is done, I´ve got this lovely menu now:mandrakedebianslackwarelinux non-fbfailsafefloppyHereby I declare the operation ¨YES I´ve got my PowerPack¨ successful !Topic closed.:lol: Bruno