KDE Connect For Android Shares Everything, Even Your Clipboard

securitybreach

securitybreach

I do not use KDE but this pretty neat:

Developer Albert Vaka has a very interesting GSoC project. In the wake of Ubuntu’s ‘convergance story‘, the prospect of integrating your phone with your computer–or even using your phone as a desktop–has become a very hot topic. Albert, not interested in seeing KDE users left out in the cold, has taken the very first steps necessary to get KDE talking with Android. And no, this has nothing to do with Dolphin’s MTP support. Vaka’s app currently does the following;
  • Call notifications

Allows you to receive call notifications on the desktop, through the system tray. Notifications are delivered through a very handsome plasma applet.

• SMS Notifications

No demonstration is given for this, but the intent is to receive SMS messages on your desktop, and have the ability to reply to them. It is to be assumed that the plasma applet for this is not an actual SMS messaging program, but a bridge that sends your message to the recipient through your phone’s messaging app by simply passing the data along to it......

http://www.thepowerbase.com/2013/08/kde-connect-for-android-shares-everything-even-your-clipboard/

Hope he get's this to a point where I can support it financially.

Such an integration would be great.

I have Mighty Text extension in Chrome browser and it is great, but would love to see it as part of the desktop.

I'm still waiting for kio-mtp to be useable. A version has been released in siduction experimental kde-next repos but not in sid yet. Currently I can only download photos automatically, but not upload music to my phone with MTP. I use USB mass storage for that, but it has been removed in Android 4.2 so I haven't updated from 4.1 yet.

securitybreach

I'm still waiting for kio-mtp to be useable. A version has been released in siduction experimental kde-next repos but not in sid yet. Currently I can only download photos automatically, but not upload music to my phone with MTP. I use USB mass storage for that, but it has been removed in Android 4.2 so I haven't updated from 4.1 yet.

Try MTPFS: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP#mtpfs

Basically you mount your phone just like you would any other partition and it works beautifully.

I was mistaken. I just upgraded my phone and it seems I was still on Android 4.0.8 and now upgraded to 4.1.2 via my provider. USB Mass Storage still works. :thumbsup:

In the meantime I installed Airdroid, what an easy way to transfer stuff! Simply connect to the phone from a browser on the computer via WiFi. I still couldn't work out how to upload music directly to the phone Music folder though, it uploads directly to a /airdroid/upload folder and can be subsequently moved from there. So I will probably still use USB MS for that for a while.

This freaked me out though - you can take a photo in Airdroid from your PC browser using the phone camera.

jcra.jpg

Ooops got way off topic now. :>

Yes KDE Connect looks like it will be really cool!