Oink! Snort...

V.T. Eric Layton

Need sweetener. Eat sugar. Can't take white (crack cocaine style) sugar, use raw sugar.

Need something other than sugar; carrots, sweet potatos, beets (not the pickled canned crap), apples, grapes, raisins, this list could go on a long time.

Dieting is more about what you eat and exercise than it is about how much you eat.

V.T. Eric Layton

Need sweetener. Eat sugar. Can't take white (crack cocaine style) sugar, use raw sugar.

Need something other than sugar; carrots, sweet potatos, beets (not the pickled canned crap), apples, grapes, raisins, this list could go on a long time.

Dieting is more about what you eat and exercise than it is about how much you eat.

This only works for healthy folks with normal metabolism function. Those of us who are dealing with diabetes need to stay away from all carbohydrates because, regardless of the source, all carbs convert to glucose in the bloodstream.

My choice of artificial sweetener is Splenda® (AKA Sucralose). I AM the lab rat for that product. :yes:

sorry, i shudder when i see people using that.

honey is a natural sweetener, supplied by our friends, the bees.

My daughter swears by agave nectar. Apparently health for you like honey but with a much lower glycemic index or some such thing.

@crp I bought the already made applesauce instead :)

@temmu and amenditman

I like honey too, I use it more than sugar now. I find the artificial sweeteners taste sweeter that sugar even, not to mention they have a horrible after taste. Local honey is also supposed to help people with allergies.

@V.T. Eric Layton diabetes runs in my family too, it's a horrible disease and people don't always take it as seriously as they should. My aunt lost her foot then her knee and finally they lost her to gangrene all because she was a diabetic and she dropped a pan on her foot. Both my parents have it but are managing to control with mostly diet.

V.T. Eric Layton

@V.T. Eric Layton diabetes runs in my family too, it's a horrible disease and people don't always take it as seriously as they should. My aunt lost her foot then her knee and finally they lost her to gangrene all because she was a diabetic and she dropped a pan on her foot. Both my parents have it but are managing to control with mostly diet.

Yup. It's ugly stuff, but there are worse things out there looking to get you. ;)

If you like natural, healthy stuff for medicinal purposes you should check out all the things turmeric is good for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

page down to Medicine

Amazing stuff, a pharmacist told me about it to treat my son's sinus infection when he was so little the doctor did not want to prescribe anything. I've tried it and found it effective for a lot of the things it's "supposed" to be good for. Of course, you need to be the type of person who doesn't think Western Medicine knows everything and the rest of the world's medical traditions are quackery.

Edited by amenditman

V.T. Eric Layton

Is it any good for when you slice the pads of your index and middle fingers back on a sharp metal flange on a lawnmower engine? Owwweeee! That's what I did today. Typing is going to be a chore for the next couple weeks, I think. :(

Guest LilBambi

Ouch! Was it rusty at all?

Yes, should be good for that (but Tetanus could still be an issue I guess). You slather raw honey on the bandage and change it every 24 hrs. Besides it being antibacterial, antiviral, antiseptic, it also will cause the wound not to stick the bandage thereby protecting the new skin underneath.

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... it was actually the tail of a brand new worm clamp on a fuel line I was installing.

BALLAST_HOSE_CLAMP-2T.jpg

It got me good, mostly my middle finger. :(

Good grief, Eric, whenever I start feeling that I am getting self-abusive, all I have to do is read one of your threads, then I start feeling pretty darn good about myself. :'(

Acadia

Edited by Acadia

Guest LilBambi

Sorry to hear that Eric. Raw honey would likely do a great job and make it heal more quickly.

Course raw honey is not cheap...

V.T. Eric Layton

Good grief, Eric, whenever I start feeling that I am getting self-abusive, all I have to do is read one of your threads, then I start feeling pretty darn good about myself. :'(

Acadia

When it rains, it pours... :(

Sorry to hear that Eric. Raw honey would likely do a great job and make it heal more quickly.

Course raw honey is not cheap...

Alcohol, H2O2, and Neosporin will have to do, then. :)

When it rains, it pours... :(

Alcohol, H2O2, and Neosporin will have to do, then. :)

Eric, remember the proper methods of application for those medications.

Apply clean H2O to wound, dry wound, apply neosporin to wound, pour OH into glass and consume by mouth while watching RTV.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

You have to be careful which OH you consume, though. The one you're referring to, I believe, is bevarage alcohol - CH3CH2OH. ;)

Cluttermagnet

This weekend Betty and I went to a favorite Tex-Mex place locally. Hadn't been there for over 2 months due to work. Something possessed me to order the 'fried ice cream'. It was pretty darn good. Never had it before. Probably never will again. But I just had to try it once. Betty liked it too.

Have been growing a few tomato and pepper plants this summer in large planters (well, ~14in. square) out on the deck, also one hanging planter with a 3rd tomato plant 'upside down'. We had our first tomato about a week or so back. The flavor was very good. Not like the 'cardboard tasting' stuff from the supermarket. Only a few hours of full sun on that deck, so it's all shade grown stuff. Looks like we will get a few peppers and tomatos pretty soon. Next spring I think I'll just throw some leaf lettuce and radish seeds in in those planters, see how that does...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

• 3 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

I admit it. I'm a cookie abuser.

And you're right, Amenditman... browser cookies are often very far from being safe.

That means there's only one really safe cookie left... virtual cookies. YUM! And zero calories/carbs. :yes:

wDSC08599a.gif