Microsoft, go home you're drunk

crp

yes, I know I am stealing a line.

Microsoft, what i search for on my pc is my own business.

My chances of going to W8 at home hit close to nil

I am going to be writing an email to my boss that we should cease looking into W8 for work pc's.

good idea.

i was immediately turned off to windows 8 when it asked me to use my online account as my authentication (log on) to my pc.

as long as i live, it will never be at my workplace either.

there is a way to get around that, even in 8.1beta. but it takes a lot of persistence.

there is a way to get around that, even in 8.1beta. but it takes a lot of persistence.

What I do is let the install create a new email account with a fake name. Then, once the install is done, switch to local control. If MS winds up with a gazillion unused outlook.com email account, that their problem.

Edited by lewmur

V.T. Eric Layton

Pieces of Windows 8? Sounds like the name of a great Halloween story... or a pirate adventure. ARRRRRRRRGH! 1sm264pirate.gif

I just finished an install of Win 8 and discovered there is a simple click way to chose the standard local account control. The only problem is that you have to look very carefully to notice it. At the bottom of the page that asks for the MS Account info is line of type that says something about choosing another method of account control. Click it and an option appears to choose "Local". Choosing this takes you to the standard account setup of entering a username and password.

I just finished an install of Win 8 and discovered there is a simple click way to chose the standard local account control. The only problem is that you have to look very carefully to notice it. At the bottom of the page that asks for the MS Account info is line of type that says something about choosing another method of account control. Click it and an option appears to choose "Local". Choosing this takes you to the standard account setup of entering a username and password.

You were installing 8 and not 8.1 Blue correct?

Guest LilBambi

For Win 8.1: Or like someone else did in the article linked in the article. Use a bogus email that can't be validated like nobody@localdomain.localdomain. When it can't validate, it will offer to set it up later and create a local account.

Question: When logged on to Windows 8.1 Preview via a Local Account, are you able to update/install/download apps from the Windows Store? IOW, are you prompted to login to a Microsoft Account to get apps?

without even having 8.1, i bet the answer is yes, you have to use your ms account. just like apple.

Or your Google account for the Android Play Store. What's the big deal?

Or your Google account for the Android Play Store. What's the big deal?

On the Kindle HD, one needs an Amazon account. I don't see any problems with any of these companies requiring an account with them in order to use their platform silo .

Guest LilBambi

And on Mountain Lion, all apps and updates to the system come through the Mac App Store now. Sure Microsoft is trying to go the same way.