Nitpicking

Guest genaldar

Guest genaldar

I've recently become an xp convert. 2k pro went all wacky on me (way after I installed sp3 though). I don't blame it I went through 3 video card changes, 3 cdrw/dvd changes and 4 processors all in 5 months (long story). I'd get all flaky too if my organs kept getting "upgraded". Anyway upon running xp for the first time on my desktop (I had it on my school laptop) I fell in love. Seeing it on my half way decent monitor made me realize how much prettier it really is. I'd seen it before of course, but on other students monitors. It is a fact 9 out of 10 college students own horrible monitors. Most of my fellow students build whole new rigs every 12 to 14 months, but keep using their old crappy monitor. I know a kid who is on his 3rd rig in 3 years and is building a fresh one this summer (p4 2.6ghz chip, $300 video card, etc.), but he uses a 14 inch sony monitor that he bought for $20 used a year or so back. His old one was even worse, 13 inch that came with his family's first pc (1992 vintage). Anyway, once I saw my background (oranges and reds of fall highlighting Alyssa Milano) and the silver theme I was smitten. The only problem is that stupid green start button, uglying up my pretty desktop. Add to that the D*** blue and black side bar that says "Windows XP Professional" inside the start menu. Is there anyway to change those colors? btw I know I can disable that side bar, but I like the bigger icons when its enabled. Thanks in advanceps. sorry for the rambling, its amazing I should be writing 2 different papers right now, but I don't feel like it. But I'll ramble on for 12 lines about this.

GolfProRM

Download a program called StyleXP and/or Style Builder... These will allow you to either download XP themes from the internet or with StyleBuilder, you can create/edit your own!! They are great programs with a lot of flexibility... StyleXP will also allow you to change your Welcome Screen and your wallpapers, and have them all set to rotate on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. You can find these programs at TGT SoftYou can download themes all over the place, but one good place I've found isThemeXPHope this helps! :)

Well the first thing I do is go to XP's alternative Silver theme (and enable clear type). Much nicer than those garish stock XP colors, except I'm still stuck with that green Start button. :)

Prelude76

yeah, i also recommend StyleXP. there is another program that does custom themes too, WindowBlinds 3, and though they were perfect in Win9x era, they dropped the ball for WinXP and it runs very slow in XP. StyleXP is so fast because they use a modified MS themes engine instead of making a theme engine from scratch.