Locating Files In Suse

jodef

Installed vmware in Suse9.0 and tried to run it from konsole it indicates I need to configure vmware-config.pl.I installed it via rpm using YaST now I need to find the directory to which vmware is installed I tried the find files GUI,locate,slocate no luck.I also went to the /opt directory where I am told third party software is installed I still can't find vmware app.How do I locate apps or files in Suse? :flowers:

Installed vmware in Suse9.0 and tried to run it from konsole it indicates I need to configure vmware-config.pl.I installed it via rpm using YaST now I need to find the directory to which vmware is installed I tried the find files GUI,locate,slocate no luck.I also went to the /opt directory where I am told third party software is installed I still can't find vmware app.How do I locate apps or files in Suse? :whistling:
Click on the SuSE Start Menu the little green Ball lower left corner of the screen and choose find files from the menu..Mel :o

SonicDragon

Locate won't find it unless you $ su# updatedb (which will take a few minutes)then you can $ locate whateveryouarelookingfor

How do I locate apps or files in Suse? :whistling:
Click on the SuSE Start Menu the little green Ball lower left corner of the screen and choose find files from the menu..Mel :o Mel am sorry I was not clear but I did try that no luck.
$ su# updatedb (which will take a few minutes)
Updatedb,slocate,locate and find do not seem to work doing them as root doesn't change things.

How do I locate apps or files in Suse? :whistling:
Click on the SuSE Start Menu the little green Ball lower left corner of the screen and choose find files from the menu..Mel :D
Mel am sorry I was not clear but I did try that no luck.
$ su# updatedb (which will take a few minutes)
Updatedb,slocate,locate and find do not seem to work doing them as root doesn't change things. Hello JohannMost 3rd party programs in SuSE are installed in /opt when you searched using the find files command did you tell it to search root / ? you could also use yast and go to the software section and tell it to show installed programs.. HTH I have to go for a little bit but will check when I get back and try to give you more info if you are still having a problem finding the file and directory.Mel :o

Mel will probably be offline by the time you get back but I went to YaST software -> install/remove software I saw it installed but where does it tell me the location.Will try find command will report back later. ;)

SonicDragon
Updatedb,slocate,locate and find do not seem to work doing them as root doesn't change things.
I'm sorry, but i'm not quite clear on what you are saying.Do those not work for anything? of just for finding this one file? su, updatedb goes through all the files and updates the locate's list of where everything is. If you install something new, it won't be in that "list" because updatedb hasn't been run yet. What have you tried as far as the seach words? Try the whole file name, part of it, and eventually just vmware and sift though the results. ("locate vmware | more" will help when you have a lot of results).

updatedb does not seem to exist in Suse. If it is installable, I haven't yet shout it. A reboot should do the trick, as it will rebuild the database.

I found it here for suse 9.http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri....7-748.i586.rpmExtracting the files from the above package reveals the following files:./etc/cron.daily/clean_core./etc/cron.daily/updatedb./usr/bin/locate./usr/bin/updatedb./usr/lib/find./usr/lib/find/bigram./usr/lib/find/code./usr/lib/find/frcode./usr/share/man/man1/locate.1.gz./usr/share/man/man1/updatedb.1.gz./usr/share/man/man5/locatedb.5.gz./var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.cron-locate./var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.locateThe version included with suse 8.2 also include updatedb.good luck.tranquilo

Using SuSE 9.0 Pro I used Yast and went to software install and remove files. did a search for locate and there it was. installed it and then dropped to a terminal and told it to updatedb which it did. locate is not installed by default but it is on DVD 1 I don't know which cd it is on but the search command in Yast will tell you. HTH.. you have to install and update the database as root..Mel ;)

SonicDragon

Running:suslocate -ulocate whateverdoesn't work does it? That's what you have to do in slackware the first time you use locate. Just another thought... good luck.

That doesn't work either it seems the findutils package is installed but couldn't find findutils-locate guess I'll try and d/l and install pkg tranquilo mentioned.

SonicDragon

Oh well :w00t: Hopefully that package will work.I've never tried suse and wonder why it doesn't come with locate? You would think that's a really common program... :) Does it have some other way of finding things?