Guest LilBambi

Proper multi monitor support in OSX is killer for me. :-)

I like the ios7 control center and the new flat design. I am not sure I like the color palette.

Activation lock is a welcome new feature as well.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Yes, lots of great stuff announced. Very little available right now, but lots in the pipeline.

The new Macbook Airs are quite nice.

I like the new features of iOS 7, I like the Control Center.

I am not sure if I like the new flat design and I am not sure I like the new color palette. And I really don't like those all white icons with lines. That's great for xkcd, but not for my phone.

The new flat and mostly white (blech!) design is too much like looking at IE on Windows 8. I am pretty sure I will not like the flat mostly white look. Sorry I am just not into bright white looking at a phone, or a computer for that matter.

I would like to see a dark theme that softens all that white. I will never buy a white iPhone.

OS X Mavericks sounds great. iBooks and Maps coming to the Mac is awesome.

I love the Mac Pro but gonna be way expensive.

I love the idea of iTunes Music and it's being Pandora'ish, but I will not be able to make use of it on my limited data plan.

Auto updates on Apps needs to have options. I hope they will think of us on limited data plans in all of this. Especially since limited data plans on wireless (which is all we have access to here in the boonies, is by no means cheap!) On our data plan, we need to be able to do stuff like that when we are on unlimited plans elsewhere away from home.

Well, with ios 6, they enabled passwordless updates to apps. I turned it off, because it also set a timeout, sudo style, for installing new apps. I turned it off, and now I have to put in my password every time I want to update or install. I wonder how this will work......

Adam

[...]

I am not sure if I like the new flat design and I am not sure I like the new color palette. And I really don't like those all white icons with lines. That's great for xkcd, but not for my phone.

that design is flat? from limited i saw , it looked raised a bit, with like little bumps - or was it an optical illusion from the colors?

[...]

Auto updates on Apps needs to have options. I hope they will think of us on limited data plans in all of this. Especially since limited data plans on wireless (which is all we have access to here in the boonies, is by no means cheap!) On our data plan, we need to be able to do stuff like that when we are on unlimited plans elsewhere away from home.

When i first read about 'Auto Updates' I thought they meant that the location information datum would change as one drove.

it would be quite like Apple to say 'no update, no work'. They still strike me as 'we know way best' arrogant in what I saw and for the price points i didn't see enough to move me off Windows or Linux for pc's. And they didn't change the iPhone physical form factor.

The new MacPro? reminds me of quite a few Raspberry Pi cases :)

it would be quite like Apple to say 'no update, no work'. They still strike me as 'we know way best' arrogant in what I saw and for the price points i didn't see enough to move me off Windows or Linux for pc's. And they didn't change the iPhone physical form factor.

For what it's worth, if you have an older version of ios (maybe limited by your device) you will see the updates available for the apps even if those updates require a newer version of ios. You can't update to them because it won't let you, but the updates will still show up.

When Apple changed the update process to allow for password-less updates, they did put a switch in the settings to turn that functionality off. In some cases (children) it would be a problem to have it enabled.

I see the updates being more android like and just updating themselves in teh background. I am not sure how excited I am about it yet, because I like to see what new functionality will be added for the updates.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

The auto update thing is not necessarily a bad thing, but there are times when it is inconvenient to auto update. Even for folks not on ludicrously limited data plans like ours. ;)

Guest LilBambi

I am not sure why Apple has gone all white, pink and purple y in their theme colors.

If they want to go that way fine, but make sure there are alternative themes for those that would prefer something with more muted or darker colors for their theme.

I am not sure why Apple has gone all white, pink and purple y in their theme colors.

If they want to go that way fine, but make sure there are alternative themes for those that would prefer something with more muted or darker colors for their theme.

Using a different wallpaper may dull the effect....

Adam

Guest LilBambi

True. That might be the way to get that dark theme feel...

The main screen showing the BRIGHT RED Music icon really did me in though.

It may be quite nice that way...

Guest LilBambi

Now I know this is gonna be priced right out of my ballpark by a long shot, but I really like the new design and better cooling planned on the new Mac Pro.

wwdc_detail.png

Click on image to go to the maclife.com article.

Those are some nice connections on the back of the Mac Pro! And that central bottom to top cooling system looks like it will be great.

Think they said 4 USB 3, 4 of the new Thunderbolt 2 ports that can do up to 6 daisy chained devices and of course the standard power, HDMI, speaker/headphones and mic.

Edited by LilBambi

Now I know this is gonna be priced right out of my ballpark by a long shot, but I really like the new design and better cooling planned on the new Mac Pro. [...]

oooph, any chance this will be under $3,000 ? big issue - if something goes awry , how can it be fixed? too much credit being taken for the fan, it is not unique concept i've seen case mods that used the whole chasis as a heat sink with a fan at one point and vents at the opposite point. I really thought , based on the extrenal look , that the cooling would be done with a type of Dyson fan mechanics.

oooph, any chance this will be under $3,000 ? big issue - if something goes awry , how can it be fixed? too much credit being taken for the fan, it is not unique concept i've seen case mods that used the whole chasis as a heat sink with a fan at one point and vents at the opposite point. I really thought , based on the extrenal look , that the cooling would be done with a type of Dyson fan mechanics.

looks like lowest cost to do things you would want to is going to be in $7500 range.

and if anything mb related breaks , replacement not repairs.

MacPro=Modern Sun ? (i mean that in a good way).

Guest LilBambi

Well, Mac Pro has never been the layman's Desktop computer like on Windows.

This is a professional graphics processing, etc. Desktop for the likes of ILM, Pixar, et al. and for software intensive programs like The Foundary's MARI at $2,000 - just for the software, etc.

MARI has been available for Windows and Linux and now there is a Beta Test for Mac and MARI was tested on the brand spanking new Mac Pro with the screen, keyboard and mouse - did they use a trackpad or pen tablet? - visible to the testers at Apple's Evil Lab:

The Foundry shared with AppleInsider the story of how its team worked with the new Mac Pro in a room at Apple HQ known as the "Evil Lab" ahead of the desktop's unveiling. During the tests, the Mac Pro was entirely concealed in a giant steel cabinet, keeping its new design a mystery to The Foundry and Pixar.

"We were essentially doing a blind tasting of the machine," said Jack Greasley, MARI product manager at The Foundry. "All we could see was the monitor, and the Mac Pro was encased in a giant metal filing cabinet on wheels. Experiencing the machine in this way was actually really cool, because I can tell you that the speed and power of this machine really stands up. Mari running on this machine out of the box is the fastest I have ever seen it run."

This is not going to be something the average user will be getting.

Well, Mac Pro has never been the layman's Desktop computer like on Windows.

[...]

This is not going to be something the average user will be getting.

oh, i don't know, i can think of a couple of gamers who could really go for this :)

oh, i forgot - Apple doesn't like games on a Mac.

Guest LilBambi

Actually Macs are becoming a great gaming system. As is Linux. Steam works on all platforms now: Windows, Mac, Linux.

And there are a lot of great games on the Mac. Maybe not as many as Windows, but Steam kinda makes up for that. ;)

And that's not really the Mac's fault that some gamers think they don't need to port to other OSes. It's the same with Linux and has been a real problem for both Mac and Linux for years.

But the tide is turning. Finally game companies realize that other OSes are important.

Many games are coming out on the iPad and iPhone.... considering the codebase is very similar, it should not be hard to port them to work on OSX.

Adam