Good Reads - Discussion of Books, Literature, Reading, etc.

Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

I have a ton of books in various readers, including Calibre. If all else goes away, I will still have that. ;)

Oh, and a ton of dead tree books too. ;)

Cluttermagnet

I am honored to have been chosen for the opening salvo in this majestic and fascinating thread.

Ahh- monstah! :whistling: :happyroll:

Using "Good Reads" as the thread subject, I thought I'd add a link to goodreads.com in case anyone is interested in entering for a chance to win an autographed copy of my friend's novella. Details at Goodreads | Book giveaway for Treasure Island by Phillip Tomasso III Jun 27-Aug 27, 2014.

Phil and I worked together for many years. One thing I miss about that time is having the opportunity to read his books, almost page-by-page as he wrote them. He'd send me documents with the latest chapters which I would print and read with a highlighter, marking anything I wanted to go back and annotate to send back to him. At that time, Phil was writing mysteries. His latest are zombie books, known as "The Vaccination Trilogy".

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

https://www.humblebundle.com/books?logo&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_campaign=66faad1a4a-Humble_Scholastic_Audiobook_Bundle&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_990b1b6399-66faad1a4a-96436093

Do your ears a favor with these audio adventures. The Humble Scholastic Audiobook Bundle features some of the hottest titles for your listening pleasure. Name your price for The Hunger Games, Spirit Animals Book 1: Wild Born, Infinity Ring Book 1: A Mutiny in Time, and Goosebumps Horrorland #1: Revenge of the Living Dummy. Pay more than the average price to also get Catching Fire, The Raven Boys: Book 1 of the Raven Cycle, The 39 Clues Book One: The Maze of Bones, and War Horse. If you pay $15 or more, you'll receive all of the above plus Mockingjay. Is that not the best bundle you've ever heard of?

In case you didn't hear, you can pay what you want. This collection of audiobooks would normally cost you more than $195 if purchased separately, but we encourage you to listen to your heart and set the price accordingly.

Sounds like a neat deal to me. :breakfast: (brit humour)

• 3 months later...

A book bundle twenty years in the making... Subterranean Press is celebrating two decades of excellence, and we're humbly inviting you to join the fun! Name your price for The Jack Vance Treasury, Inside Job, Muse of Fire, Jacaranda: A Novella of the Clockwork Century, Salvage and Demolition, I Travel by Night, Bleeding Shadows, The Ape's Wife and Other Stories, The Top of the Volcano: The Award-Winning Stories of Harlan Ellison®, and Brayan's Gold. If you pay more than the average price, you'll also get The Mallet of Loving Correction, Nobody's Home: An Anubis Gates Story, The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, The End of the Sentence, The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate, Tortured Souls: The Legend of Primordium, Amityville Horrible, Salvage and Demolition, I Travel by Night, Bleeding Shadows, New Amsterdam, and The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein. If you pay $15 or more, you'll receive all of the above plus Academic Exercises, The Hunter from the Woods, and Black Hat Jack. Party on with Subterranean Press (but not too hard -- that's next year)!

Pay what you want. This collection of books would normally cost you up to $123 if purchased separately, but Humble Bundle puts the decision in your hands on what the bundle is worth. Think of it like a book sale auction (minus the bidding and the fast talking guy with the gavel).

Read them anywhere (even internationally!). These books are all available in PDF, ePUB, and MOBI formats, meaning you can read them anywhere at anytime. Even more exciting, the majority of these titles are now available for the very first time outside of the US. In other words, Diplomatic Immunity! Instructions and a list of recommended reading programs can be found here.

Support charity through the power of reading. You choose where your money goes -- between the publisher and the charity Worldbuilders. If you like this book bundle and want to see more like it, let us know with a Humble Tip!

Awsome deal, looks like some class reading. I got mine. :clap:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

A little searching, patience, and perseverance and you can find all those books online for a helluva lot less that $123. However, most folks don't enjoy the thrill of the book hunt as much as I do. ;)

• 2 years later...
abarbarian

Chanced upon this web page today whilst looking for something else. Thought it would make a good addition to this dying thread.

https://fbreader.org/content/books

Looking at a link from the above gave me this

http://www.friedbeef.com/2007/04/09/best-places-to-get-free-books-the-ultimate-guide/

:breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Link saved.

However, in Slackware, I run Calibre to maintain my ebook library and also to use its built-in reader occasionally. :)

abarbarian

Link saved.

However, in Slackware, I run Calibre to maintain my ebook library and also to use its built-in reader occasionally. :)

I have the sterling Calibre installed and it is the only e-book reader program I use and only ever read e-books on my tablet or NookGlo. I posted the link for the useful links in case they were of use.

As long as my Nook keeps running and I have a solar power source I could probably read from my book collection from now until the end of days if I were castaway on a desert island. :breakfast:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, I currently have about 190 books in my Calibre library and on my Nook. It would take some time to get through all of them. ;)

abarbarian

Yeah, I currently have about 190 books in my Calibre library and on my Nook. It would take some time to get through all of them. ;)

Oooops I just looked. I have 460 folders in my Calibre but some of those are series's so god alone knows how many unread books I have :Laughing:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

12 fiction books for Linux and open source fans

For this book list, I reached out to our writer community to ask which fiction books they would recommend to their peers. What I love about this question and the answers that follow is this list gives us a deeper look into their personalities. Fiction favorites are unlike non-fiction recommendations in that your technical skills and interests may have an influence on what you like to read read, but it's much more about your personality and life experiences that draw you to pick out, and love, a particular fiction book.

These people are your people. I hope you find something interesting to add to your reading list.

Looks like some interesting books on the list. I have read one of the books way back in the 90's. We gave a copy to our Tai Chi master along with several jars of honey for his birthday one year. :hysterical:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I haven't read any of them. However, I did try to read the Neal Stephenson one and the Daniel Suarez one; couldn't get too far into either one, though.

I haven't read any of them. However, I did try to read the Neal Stephenson one and the Daniel Suarez one; couldn't get too far into either one, though.

Blimey ! you have not read the Tao of Poo :w00tx100:

“When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.”

Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

• 1 month later...

Excellent No-Charge Linux Books – Learn About Linux – For Beginners

Many no-charge e-books are, frankly, little more than spam bait, often published only to entice you to purchase a book from the same publisher. Poorly written, and with very little original content. Whereas the recommended texts below are definitely worth downloading. They’ll teach you the basics about Linux and so much more. They’re the ideal starting point for your Linux adventures. And you don’t have to divulge any personal information to get your hands on them.

Linux differs in so many ways to Windows. You might be well versed with Windows. But if you’re keen to explore and experiment with Linux, it’s worth investing some time with a good book about the subject. There are a huge range of books to learn about Linux. With many thousands of e-book and in-print books available, the choice can be baffling. And many paperback and hardback books are expensive. Step forward no-charge e-books designed for the beginner. Naturally, there are many other ways of learning about Linux, such as reading official documentation from the developers of Linux distributions, or from projects such as the respected Linux Documentation Project.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
abarbarian

Trekker

When Dark Horse Comics gave me the chance to create my own comic years ago–a very rare opportunity at the time–I jumped at the chance to build a vivid, sci-fi setting, and a gifted, troubled young bounty hunter plying her trade through a violent, complex world. Mercy St. Clair’s stories begin in the twisted streets of New Gelaph, but over time carry her farther and farther afield, until she becomes a central player in forces at play in the distant stars . My plan is to tell a life story that stretches out over a long series of action adventures where the character’s journeys are both inward and outward.

Trekker_DarkstarZephyr_Cover-CROP2.jpg

Mercy St.Clair has also returned to print, first through teaming up once again with Dark Horse Comics, and now by turning to Kickstarter to fund the further adventures of Mercy St. Clair in a series of all-new graphic novels at trekkerkickstarter.com.

• Like 1

• V.T. Eric Layton unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

I regularly take patients to Singleton Radiotherapy at Swansea Hospital as part of my voluntary driving duties. There they have a table full of books which they sell at 50 p / 64 cents. My recent find and an excellent read which I have just finished is,

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/series/the-last-kingdom-series/page/3/

Luckily for me it happens to be the first book in a series, now if only I can find book two.

This extract could almost describe me,

‘I had been given a perfect childhood, perfect, at least, to the ideas of a boy. I was raised among men, I was free, I ran wild, was encumbered by no laws, was troubled by no priests and was encouraged to violence.’

😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I regularly take patients to Singleton Radiotherapy at Swansea Hospital as part of my voluntary driving duties. There they have a table full of books which they sell at 50 p / 64 cents. My recent find and an excellent read which I have just finished is,

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/series/the-last-kingdom-series/page/3/

Luckily for me it happens to be the first book in a series, now if only I can find book two.

This extract could almost describe me,

‘I had been given a perfect childhood, perfect, at least, to the ideas of a boy. I was raised among men, I was free, I ran wild, was encumbered by no laws, was troubled by no priests and was encouraged to violence.’

😎

https://b-ok.cc/book/3872561/237ece

• Like 2