Got me a kitty

securitybreach

All you cat lovers might like to look at the BBC iPlayer as the Beeb had a really fantastic program on cats showing this week. You may be surprised at what it revealed about cats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526

As part of one of the largest ever research projects into domestic cat behaviour, the Horizon team - aided by the Royal Veterinary College and Lincoln and Bristol Universities - tracked dozens of cats over several 24-hour periods using specially-designed collar GPS devices and tiny "cat cams".

Another world first for god old aunty beeb. B)

• Like 1

I need to figure out how to get rid of a flea infestation. They are attacking my wife, but not me. We've bombed the house a few times, and Tater Tot has gotten several flea baths. Any ideas?

We are regularly vacuuming as well.

Adam

• Like 1

securitybreach

Sorry to hear that Adam. That is another good reason to never let the kitty outside...

Guest LilBambi

You already are treating Tator Tot in several ways and vacuuming, so I would think the only two things you could do is, put salt and baking soda on the carpeting.

They also say Borax but Borax is poison and you can't get cats to stop licking so I think that would be out.

Salt and baking soda are supposed to go down into the carpet where the fleas live.

One of the biggest problems with bombs is you need the kind that will kill the eggs and larvae and continue to do so for 3-6 months to get you through the summer and fall.

If that doesn't help, it's likely time to get in a professional.

Flea bites hurt and are a constant annoyance. Your wife shouldn't have to deal with that. And think about this. Your son is also likely getting bit but he can't tell you about it!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/natural-flea-control.aspx

Excellent advice above.

Do bear in mind the warning about garlic explained below.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-pet-nutrition/is-garlic-toxic-to-pets.aspx

Dogs, and especially cats, are sensitive to garlic, Jaspar. Unfortunately, we do not know specifically what dosage causes problems, and it is not yet completely known what breeds and age groups are most sensitive to this toxicity. What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets. An occasional small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend that you avoid feeding your pets products that contain more concentrated amounts of garlic.

:shifty:

I know advantage for dogs works well on fleas not sure if they have it for cats, you could ask the vet. I've read that a dish of soapy water placed on the floor with a light shining on it at night will attract and drown them.

temmu,

We are in the midst of a 1-2-3-4 tactical nuclear strike in the house.

1. Tater went to the vet, got a good scrubbing flea bath, and was given a dose of Advantage.

2. We bombed the house. I calculated the cubic footage of the house to be about 12,500 cu. ft., and so we had to double the dose of bombing.

3. We are in the process of spraying the carpets and furniture with a flea spray from the vet.

4. We'll be putting out flea dust around the house to about 20 feet to reduce the incidence of crawling insects right outside the house.

The vet has said the fleas are really bad this year. So far, Tater seems like he is doing a lot better. The vet must have scrubbed him a lot better than I did.

9376_10151654691873744_892084176_n.jpg

:)

Adam

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
securitybreach

Anubis at around 4 months old:

NSGtwi4.jpg

Her tail is not grey, the flash did that..

She loves sitting on her butt like a human does (BTW that is her foot she is sitting on ;) )

CGUHG7W.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest LilBambi

In the first picture, except for the fluffy tail, Anubis looks like our Root Cat, RIP.

Root used to lay just like that second picture, except of course you could see his tiny white patches when he did, but even without the tiny white patches, and the difference on the tails (Root had the Bombay cat breed tail), they look so much alike.

• 2 weeks later...
securitybreach

Just Anubis passed out on her chair.

Sorry for the flash but the room is dark. The fold up chair is red, not pink, and the only white patch is on her lower stomach. The rest was caused by the flash and her skin.

w5elCwQ.jpg

V.T. Eric Layton

Pretty kitty, but dude.... you gotta' learn how to use that camera of yours. ;)

Cats sure do know how to sleep. All three of mine are snoozing away right now. I think I'm headed to the ol' zzzzzz-ville myself in just a minute or two. It's been a long day.

• Like 1

I love the way cats can sleep anywhere :) We had a black cat once she was adorable, although she had a bit of a drool problem. She was super affectionate. The pet shelter told us that they had a problem placing black cats as some people were superstitious which sort of surprised me as I thought an all black cat was rather awesome.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

She doesn't have a fluffy tail like Anubis, though... and she's JET black. Your photos of Anubis always make her look charcoal gray. It's probably your exposure/flash settings. :yes:

securitybreach

She doesn't have a fluffy tail like Anubis, though... and she's JET black. Your photos of Anubis always make her look charcoal gray. It's probably your exposure/flash settings. :yes:

It is my flash/exposure as she is jet black as well. See the top one on post #84