Got me a kitty

securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

ALL kitties are beautiful... except maybe those hairless rat-looking things. ;)

• Like 1

securitybreach

Agreed!

Indeed! Those scare me.

Adam

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

A lot of good cat comments and advice. I strongly agree on 'the' central decision, to make a pet cat indoor only. Adds greatly to their quality of life- and lifespan. My Mariah, now nearly 9, has been a joy and a great companion.

• Like 1

Nice cats! I've always had indoor/outdoor cats. I live in the sticks and they have lots of room to roam, but mostly I can't imagine being locked in a house all the time. We just recently lost our tomcat Tigger, who had been a member of the family for probably 12 years. I get all my cats from the local shelter and they tend to be spayed when you get them as well as checked over by a vet and vaccinated. They also get a fancy tattoo in their ear showing they have been spayed. I've had cats that were really fussy eaters, or that couldn't eat certain brands. They say that mixing their food is a good idea in case they are unable to chew the hard food when they are old. Cats who aren't used to the soft stuff will apparently refuse it.

Both of my girls love sphynx cats, I think they might be almost homely enough to be cute but not quite. Edited by rolanaj

abarbarian

Nice cats! I've always had indoor/outdoor cats. I live in the sticks and they have lots of room to roam, but mostly I can't imagine being locked in a house all the time.

Thank goodness ! A voice of reason. I could not imagine being so cruel as to keep a cat indoors all the time myself either. No offence to those that do but why would you do such a thing ?

:cool:

Guest LilBambi

Voice of reason for those who live in very rural areas, maybe. But not so much for those in town or in the city. It would be unwise to have indoor/outdoor cats in cities or large town environment.

It is one thing if a cat is allowed outside in a protected, contained, supervised environment. However, aside from the possibility of ending up as roadkill, a cat left outside to roam is susceptible to predators such as dogs, racoons, hawks, owls, fox, etc. In addition, since cats like to eat grass and other greens, consider pesticides they could be ingesting. Then there are ticks and fleas. On occasion, our Buddy is allowed brief supervised excursions in the patio and grass. We don't use any pesticides in the back yard though and would never leave him outside alone.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

It is one thing if a cat is allowed outside in a protected, contained, supervised environment. However, aside from the possibility of ending up as roadkill, a cat left outside to roam is susceptible to predators such as dogs, racoons, hawks, owls, fox, etc. In addition, since cats like to eat grass and other greens, consider pesticides they could be ingesting. Then there are ticks and fleas. On occasion, our Buddy is allowed brief supervised excursions in the patio and grass. We don't use any pesticides in the back yard though and would never leave him outside alone.

This was our philosophy with our Root Cat as well. He was never outside unattended but he did enjoy getting outside at times.

V.T. Eric Layton

Patches has never spent a day of her life outside. She doesn't even know what she's missing (good or bad). Precious was only outside for about the first 5 or 6 days of her life. Since I saved her from a miserably short feral female existence (if she had survived the parking lot that morning - see blog story in my post above here somewhere), she has never seen the outdoors. Li'l Black Kitty was in my backyard (comparatively safe) for about 7 months before I took her to the vet, got her fixed, and made her an inside-only kitty. Her only regret is that she does not get along with Precious, who bullies her.

abarbarian

I guess I am a bit lacking in where and how you folks live.Your definition of town is probably much different than mine. No offence meant.I do love cats and have been a cat owner most of my life. Not at the moment as I travel too much and live alone, so no one to look after one while I am away.I do have friends who live in big cities and are cat owners and friends in smaller towns and also friends in the country and all let their cats out to roam at will. We have all the hazards you mention apart from raccoons. So I guess we have a different view on cat care.

P.S. You all have some great looking cats and I am a touch green. :shifty:

V.T. Eric Layton

I've never had an instance of a raccoon or opossum bothering my backyard kitties. Heck, I've watched them eating together out of the same bowls. Also, my backyard is fenced and secured against dogs. However, Florida is seeing a influx of rural coyote infestation lately. I haven't seen any in my neighborhood, but there have been reports of them just a few miles away from me. Coyotes' favorite dinner is cat with a side dish of small doggies. :(

There are also the dangers (as mentioned by others here) of diseases. I've had a couple kitty-plagues that have wiped out my little backyard feral colony before. There's the danger of foul weather in Florida. Although, my outside semi-ferals have access to my large workshop via a kitty door. I keep it clean and flea free (using Borax soap powder - amazing stuff) in there for them, so they don't have to worry about weather extremes.

In a congested city area like mine, there is always the danger of death by automobile. People don't seem to care. I've actually been sitting on my porch and seen cars swerve to try and hit a cat crossing the street. Bottom line are the statistics... indoor only kitties live MUCH longer than the outside or even inside/outside cousins; often 5 times longer. That statistic alone made up my mind.

Also, I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get a cat declawed. That is cruel amputation/mutilation. :(

Which reminds me... Josh, make sure you spend a few bucks and get kitty a good scratching post. You'll be glad you did... so will your furniture, curtains, bedspreads, etc. ;)

0003420249005_300X300.jpg

• Like 1

Repeat with emphasis!!!

Also, I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get a cat declawed. That is cruel amputation/mutilation. :(

• Like 1

Congratulations, but you have missed a point.

You don't own the cat. The cat owns you.

This will become apparent in a few weeks.

black-cat.jpg

Charlie (3 years old)

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

You don't own the cat. The cat owns you.

This will become apparent in a few weeks.

That is a FACT, Webb!!!

Oh, and when you call a cat, he/she'll make a note of it and get back to you later. ;)

By the way, Josh, second hand scratching posts and other cat items are always available and pretty cheap at local church sales, thrift stores, and yard sales. :yes:

Would that be a kpad similar to the human ipad. :Laughing:

Isn't kpad a KDE app?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My cat would kill me if I kept her inside. She comes in to eat, and sometimes to sleep in the winter. She is fit and healthy with a shiny coat and lots of energy. Also has lots of handy scratching posts (aka trees).

We do live in a quiet street with hardly any other moggies, and she has learned to respect the local possums and terrorize the local mice. :)

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

How is Anubis doing, Josh? Settling in OK? Learning to cuddle with daddy? Shredding daddy's best dress slacks? ;)

securitybreach

She is doing well and settling nicely but she sure does love attention... She is always yelling for me to pet her or pick her up. Luckily Anubis does not really bother any of my stuff although she loves to navigate through all my wires under my desk. She does not bite them or anything but like playing around in them and sleeping in a mess of wires. She sleeps beside me most of the time but the other night she kept biting on me while I was trying to sleep so I had to put her in the living room and close the door. Of course, she yelled for most of the night wanting in. She is a really good kitty but boy does she love the attention. She likes to jump up on my chest and put her face directly in mine. Its kind of funny.... I love my little Nubis... :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Cats are just like people when it comes to personalities. Of my three girls, Patches is the lap kitty extraordinaire. She always wants to be in my lap or in bed with me. She's mellowed a bit as she's gotten older, but she still wants her attention when she wants it.

Precious is more aloof. She can be a very loving girl... when SHE wants to be. The rest of the time she prefers to be left alone.

Li'l Black Kitty is a lap kitty wannabee. She's always on the desk here or on the window sill beside me whenever I'm at this desk.

They all three seem to take turns/shifts when it comes to bedtime. Patches will start off with me when I first get in bed to read for a while before going to sleep. Later, she'll run off to one of her favorite boxes in the kitchen and the Li'l Black Kitty will hop in bed with me. Toward morning, Precious comes in for a while to say good morning... usually about 0500 or so. ;)

Oh, and cats think you're their mother, regardless of your gender. They will knead you (making dough) and nibble occasionally (looking for mama's nipple). They do this all their lives, not just as kittens. You can get them to stop usually be training them to recognize the word OW!, spoken loudly. My cats understand right away when I say OW! that they've hurt me in some way, and they stop whatever it was they were doing.

By the way, cats love empty boxes. Go to the grocery store or the drugstore and pick two or three clean ones out of the dumpster. Close them with tape, but cut little windows and door flaps. A cat will play in these boxes for hours and hours. My cats love to nap in their boxes. Don't forget to throw a few crumpled up paper (not foil or plastic) balls around. Kitty will play "kitty soccer" with them, usually at about 0500 when you're trying to sleep.

You and your kitty will bond and become very close over time, Josh. It's inevitable in most cases. :)

• Like 2

abarbarian

Green I tell you green I am. If I ever stop travelling I'm going to get me a pussy to stroke.

Glad your having fun with your kitty Josh. :shifty:

• Like 1

Apparently our cat jumped into the child's bassinet this morning while Michael (the child) was taking a nap. The wife (Camille) is not too happy about that, but she did leave the door open when she was doing her hair, so the cat had a way in to the room.

Guest LilBambi

Apparently our cat jumped into the child's bassinet this morning while Michael (the child) was taking a nap. The wife (Camille) is not too happy about that, but she did leave the door open when she was doing her hair, so the cat had a way in to the room.

Didn't knock it over I take it?

Could have been a lot worse. Michael's getting big enough for a real crib real soon eh?

the cat likes your child, otherwise (s)he'd not want to be around him.

That was my thought, but the cat also liked the bassinet before the baby was born as well. I am not sure what he thinks of the baby yet. :D

Didn't knock it over I take it?

Could have been a lot worse. Michael's getting big enough for a real crib real soon eh?

No, the bassinet is pretty stable. Tater is not that big.... Michael is using the crib downstairs more and more on days that i am not working on his room.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

It's more likely the cat just likes the secure enclosed space and the smell of baby powder. ;)

• Like 1