V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

What's really shameful is that the citizens of the United States, in their ignorance, apathy, and complacency, have let this happen. A liberty once taken away is 1000 times harder to reacquire. Privacy is more than a liberty. It's a foundational right of a civilized being, like the right to defend one's self, loved ones, and property. This country is slipping down into the crapper at an ever increasing pace.

Of course, this is all my opinion and subject to debate. There are those out there who feel more comfortable and safe with cameras all around them and constant surveillance taking place. They feel the world is a better place with all these technological gadgets all interconnected and tracking their every key press, voice pattern, or facial characteristic. What a wonderful world that is, huh?

• Like 4

securitybreach

Well the problem is there is too much money involved for anything to change. It is going to have to all collapse before anything can change and that will not over good either. Just my opinion but we all know the US is basically controlled by Corporations (or at least our politicians are). ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

That's part of the problem... "we" do NOT all know that the U.S. is controlled by $$$, greed, and BIG Corp. The everyday dufus in the streets hasn't a clue and couldn't care less. As long as they can ride around in that spiffy new car while fiddling with that gadget to access their FarceBook account, or watching some BS reality show on TV, they're perfectly happy.

The thing that is most needed for intrusive (and later tyrannical) government to succeed is not tanks and soldiers, it's ignorance and apathy. Keep the populace ignorant, distracted, and fed and you can get away with anything.

World events in the next half century or so are going to be very interesting, but not necessarily pleasant, to watch.

• Like 2

Nowhere in the article did I read that this capability is being used outside of normal court-ordered wiretap warrants. Just because the capability exists and the infrastructure is in place does not mean it is being utilized outside the law.

This article implies that it is, while providing no real evidence backing up that accusation.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

I've said this before, Adam... and I love you (in a non-gay way), brother, but you are a very trusting soul. :yes:

• Like 1

I like to think of myself as more pragmatic than trusting.

In this case, I do believe the capability exist for the surveillance implied by the article. However, as a member of the military, I don't think the government is organized enough to actually perform this level of deep analysis and tracking of data. I think it's too big of a problem.

Look at the IRS. They do one thing, and they still manage to screw it up.

:-)

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

I like to think of myself as more pragmatic than trusting.

In this case, I do believe the capability exist for the surveillance implied by the article. However, as a member of the military, I don't think the government is organized enough to actually perform this level of deep analysis and tracking of data. I think it's too big of a problem.

Look at the IRS. They do one thing, and they still manage to screw it up.

:-)

Adam

Hmm... http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pragmatism

Familiar with this, Adam?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/foreign-affairs-defense/aclu-pushes-for-info-on-digital-tracking/

abarbarian

Your worried about that. Hmm let me see if I can give you something else to worry about. :whistling:

Look! Up in the sky! 10,000 drones in US by 2020

“In the United States alone, over 50 companies, universities, and government organizations are developing and producing some 155 unmanned aircraft designs,” according to the agency.

In February, the FAA said it had issued 1,428 permits to domestic drone operators since 2007, a number that far exceeds previous certifications. Meanwhile, some 327 permits are listed as active.

Now you know why hoodies are so popular in the uk. Folks just getting into good habits before they are needed. :shifty:

V.T. Eric Layton

That's true about the hoodies. London is saturated with surveilance cameras. Sadly, the City of Tampa decided to keep the surveillance cameras installed during the Repub convention last year. I'm surprised... not. It's too darn hot for hoodies in Tampa in the summertime. I just pull the bill of my cap down lower and give the cameras the finger as I ride my bike through that area of downtown every other day or so. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Well, if they hadn't figured out how to legislate their paychecks and not directly depend on the people, we could have fixed this a long time ago. ;)

The paychecks are a magnitude of separation from The People when they get a paycheck like 'an employee'.

amenditman

Wouldn't

Well, if they hadn't figured out how to legislate their paychecks and not directly depend on the people, we could have fixed this a long time ago. ;)

The paychecks are a magnitude of separation from The People when they get a paycheck like 'an employee'.

Wouldn't that be a nice bloodless revolution? I like how you think.

We stop their pay for non-performance of duty, non-attendance, and insubordination.

securitybreach

Wouldn't

Wouldn't that be a nice bloodless revolution? I like how you think.

We stop their pay for non-performance of duty, non-attendance, and insubordination.

They would not care as the corporations are their real employers.....

Guest LilBambi

Ah, yes ... corporate "lobbyists" ... the other side of the revenue coin..

You know the old saying, "Follow the Money".