Full System Backup with rsync

abarbarian

securitybreach

Nah... if I were a real geek (like SecurityBreach), I'd use rsync with a cron job to sync every 30 minutes. ;)

Not quite but it does sync once a day B)

• Like 1

Great info here. I normally don't back up my whole system -- I use rsync to back up my data to an external hard drive, and and I'm pretty regular about that. I should probably implement a full-system back-up routine for Arch because that one's a bit more time-consuming to install than the other distros I run here, but if something goes wrong with my Arch installation and I need to re-install, it'll probably be a good exercise (and a good lesson!) for me. So, I'll hold off on that for now. One of these days, I'll get around to trying grsync.

Well I had to redo the ssd install as I could not figure out how to alter grub from a recovery shell. It seems that I did the first install with my external e-sata drive plugged in. So when I turned this of after shutdown I could not boot on restart.

So rather than fiddle with grub, which would have meant more reading etc etc . I simply reinstalled.Everything is working fine but I still have small text in grub startup though it is bigger than the first run.

Strange that grub is changing its graphical output.

Even stranger, I now have three versions of Arch showing in grub. Two I know about and they work.What the third one is I have yet to investigate.

:fish:

I've become more diligent with backups since I accidentally trashed my main siduction system a few weeks back.

- Clonezilla partition backups weekly, or before doing something potentially hazardous like installing another OS.

- rsync/cron nightly for personal data.

Done a couple of other minor boo-boos since then - installing KXStudio automatically formatted the swap partition changing it's UUID. Caused siduction to boot very slowly as it couldn't find swap. Found easily with journalctl and fixed with blkid and fstab edit. That install also changed the hw clock to local. >_<

• Like 1

securitybreach

Oh full backups? I run clonezilla once a week for that. I use rsync w/cron to backup 800gb worth of user data daily (only backups missing files or changed files):

comhack@Cerberus ~ % su -c 'crontab -l'
Password:
00 15 * * * rsync -ar --delete /home/comhack/Videos /home/comhack/Music /home/comhack/Documents /home/comhack/Downloads /home/comhack/Pictures /home/comhack/Shared /MEDIA &> /dev/null
01 00 * * 7 /home/comhack/.scripts/ipmon/ipmonitor.sh &> /dev/null

I've become more diligent with backups since I accidentally trashed my main siduction system a few weeks back.

- Clonezilla partition backups weekly, or before doing something potentially hazardous like installing another OS.

- rsync/cron nightly for personal data.

Done a couple of other minor boo-boos since then - installing KXStudio automatically formatted the swap partition changing it's UUID. Caused siduction to boot very slowly as it couldn't find swap. Found easily with journalctl and fixed with blkid and fstab edit. That install also changed the hw clock to local. >_<

Them unexpected differences in distros certainly do cause some headaches. Rsync with cron jobs asper our resident guru seem pretty neat. I'll have to get meself organised after I have finished me album. :whistling:

• Like 1

I cheat a little, though, as I use grsync, a graphic front-end for rsync. :)

I cheat a bunch, too, as I use LuckyBackp, a GUI front-end for rsync and cron. I read that someone on this forum wrote a pretty kickin' comprehensive tutorial on that! :D

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

No flatulation here, please. I think that's disallowed in the TOS, actually. ;)

Indeed it was Hedon!! :thumbup:

You need an avatar Hedon B)

Yes. I'm tired of looking at that faceless silhouette. ;)

As a matter of fact, here's one you might like to use...

300x300.jpg

Search engines are interesting tools. :yes:

• Like 1

It's some fellow named Hedon James with a MySpace site. :)

https://myspace.com/hedonrock

Oh wow...yes, that is me! You are a scary guy VT, finding that piece of history! I wouldn't want to play "Where is Waldo?" with you!!! I haven't really patronized MySpace in a LONG time. I guess it's true...if you post it to the internet, it really is there forever! I sure hope no one from the "Vegas" trip posts pictures!

Now that I have been "outed", I might as well replace my generic avatar and I guess your find is as good as any. I'll try to figure out my account settings and upload an avatar. Stay tuned...

Back to the rsync discussion, please...

• Like 2

Nah, it was a simple google image search. If you type in Hedon James in google and click images, your the 7th image.

https://www.google.c...=lnms&tbm=isch

How about that? Hmmm....much more "family friendly" results than I expected! But I'd really like to know how google's algorithm returns a 100% match as the 7th best result? I guess I need to "goose" google with a donation to bump my results up?

And again, we have hi-jacked the rsync thread! Apologies to the OP! Perhaps the comic relief will afford us some forgiveness?! :oops:

• Like 1

Perhaps the comic relief will afford us some forgiveness?! :oops:

Not a chance. Take the offenders out and cut of their heads. Or better still hunt them down and shoot them. Much more fun. :Smiley-IPB-400:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah, it was a simple google image search. If you type in Hedon James in google and click images, your the 7th image.

https://www.google.c...=lnms&tbm=isch

Don't be giving away my secrets, dude! Actually, it was a DuckDuckGo search and then a Yahoo Images follow-up. You know I don't do that Google thing. ;)

What parsed me off about the MySpace site is that I can't play the darn songs that Hedon has on there. You have to login to play them. I've never had a MySpace account... and never will. :(

• Like 1

And again, we have hi-jacked the rsync thread!

Par for the course here. We are all like highly focussed cats here, until someone starts playing with a laser pointer. :)

What parsed me off about the MySpace site is that I can't play the darn songs that Hedon has on there. You have to login to play them.

MySpace only remaining relevance was to highlight bands and musicians to the world. They have hung their own noose with the login requirement.

Par for the course here. We are all like highly focussed cats here, until someone starts playing with a laser pointer. :)

Wide beam flashlight more like. Nothing highly focused around here.

securitybreach

Don't be giving away my secrets, dude! Actually, it was a DuckDuckGo search and then a Yahoo Images follow-up. You know I don't do that Google thing. ;)

I know and that is why I said that ;)

• Like 1

What parsed me off about the MySpace site is that I can't play the darn songs that Hedon has on there. You have to login to play them. I've never had a MySpace account... and never will. :(

Yeah, that kinda defeats the purpose of MySpace. I joined so I could post my musical creations for others to enjoy (or hate?!), but now only other "members" can hear. MySpace eventually turned "cyber-ghetto" with all the children, and I pretty much abandoned it. Years later, they re-branded it and revamped it. I checked it out but saw no compelling reason to return and maintain it. I can help you get around those MySpace issues by posting tunes on here for your listening pleasure. Is that allowed for in the TOS? I don't want to pervert this site into a place where anyone can pimp their wares with spam, but I also have no problems putting MY original songs on here for free. I'm not a musician with art to sell...I'm a hobbyist who enjoys making music and sharing it with others. My tunes are very much of the hard rock genre, heavily influenced by 70s & 80s rock bands. If others like it too, I commend you on your great taste; if you don't like it, delete it.

If this is allowed, should we create a new thread? This cat has been distracted from the rsync thread by all the other mischievous cats....AGAIN?!!! :devil:

V.T. Eric Layton

If you go to the Water Cooler... er, I mean Restaurant At the Edge of... area of the board, you'll find some rockin' threads there already. Feel free to post links to your music. We'd love to listen! :)

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=67209

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=65584

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=63327

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=60378

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=52536

et cetera... :)