Windows 7 'security' patch knocks out PCs

securitybreach

securitybreach
Windows 7 users should uninstall a security patch Microsoft issued on Tuesday because some PCs failed to restart after applying the update.

The software giant advised users of Win 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2* to roll-back a patch within MS13-036, a security update that closed two vulnerabilities in the Windows file system kernel-mode driver. Exactly how one nukes the wobbly patch is explained here.

The advice follows complaints that after applying the update computers would either fail to restart or applications would not load. Users who experienced problems were sometimes confronted by "fatal system error" warnings on start up, as illustrated by Sophos here.

http://www.theregist..._fix_roll_back/

I had no problems either but followed the MSRC Blog post recommendation to uninstall it anyway.

KB2839011 Released to Address Security Bulletin Update Issue (bold added):

Contrary to some reports, the system errors do not result in any data loss nor affect all Windows customers. However, all customers should follow the guidance that we have provided in KB2839011 to uninstall security update 2823324 if it is already installed.
  • Like 1

securitybreach

will microsoft retract the patch & offer a fix?

They already retracted it. From the article:

We are aware that some of our customers may be experiencing difficulties after applying security update 2823324, which we provided in security bulletin MS13-036 on Tuesday, April 9. We’ve determined that the update, when paired with certain third-party software, can cause system errors. As a precaution, we stopped pushing 2823324 as an update when we began investigating the error reports, and have since removed it from the download centre.

Also, from the article:

Redmond has removed it from the MS13-036 update, which just leaves security update 2778344, also a privilege elevation fix that is rated as important.

Guest LilBambi

Wise move. Main reason is that it would be hard to get the fix unless the old one is removed. I don't know why Microsoft often does it that way, but sometimes they do.

There were hot fixes on some issues and you have to remove the hot fix before applying the final version of the fix. Seems pretty silly. If they can program the hot fix and the final version of the fix why can't they also program a simple if/then/else into the final fix to determine if the hot fix has been installed to correct the situation.

If they can program the hot fix and the final version of the fix why can't they also program a simple if/then/else into the final fix to determine if the hot fix has been installed to correct the situation.
Amen to that. I have a hotfix folder from June and July 2012 sitting on the desktop.

I need to determine if the problem was ever fixed and if so, undo the fix and apply the patch. This is way down on my to do list which explains why I haven't started searching to figure it out for 10 months. :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I've become a victim of MS's Windows7 mistakes.

I had to start up Windows7 so I could update my TOMTOM gps device. There is no Linux program that I know of, that can perform that function. After updating it, I left the computer on, running Windows overnight.

It was during the night, when I was sleeping, I heard a loud strange noise. Windows had just updated itself. After it had finished it's job it rebooted the computer. When I got up, I perceived that the computer was hung up, and Windows was unable to complete the reboot. I attempted to re-boot Windows again.

When I installed Linux on an external hard drive, strange things had happened. Grub was installed on the MBR of the Windows hard drive. That, I did not want itto happen! I wanted it installed on the Linux hard drive. Consequently, go get to either Windows or Linux, I now have to use the BIOS drive selector menu. Then when it boots up the Windows HD's MBR, GRUB starts up, and offers me various versions of Linux choices, and on the Menu bottom, there's Windows and Windows recovery partition.

Windows7 only brought me to a console text screen. It wanted me to insert the original DVD, which I cannot find. Or, I had a choice to use the command prompt (which for me, I consider useless). I could not access a running version of Windows so I could move the back the OS a few days. Therefore, as of now, I have an unreachable Windows. I don't want to re-install the OS, 'cause I'll lose a lot of stuff, and settings.

Out of those choices of steps (which are not easy to accomplish, and lots of reading to pick out from), offered by MS, which one should I follow?? Any easy way out of this? Which one have you used to get a smooth running Windows7 64bit, again?

Cheers!

Edited by onederer

Update 2823324 was pulled so you didn't get that one Onderer if it updated on the 27th or 28th of April.

I checked my hidden updates about this past Thursday on a 7 computer and it was gone from the list.

There are two updates to the kernel that I have hidden: 2808735 and 2813170

Do you have info on those Corrine? Those might be the cause of his problems.

Onderer, which option in the Win 7 updates have you chosen?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-how-windows-installs-or-notifies-you-about-updates

I have check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

I wait until I read Susan Bradley's patch watch and I also google to read if an update goes smoothly or roughly. If there seem to be problems, I hide the update so I don't keep getting the popup daily when I cold boot the computer.

Edited by zlim

My updates come in automatically.

They get installed automatically.

Windows reboots automatically.

I don't pick and choose.

I seldom use Windows. I only use it when necessary for applications or items that don't have a Linux equivalent which could be used.

Therefore, when I do start Windows7, I get bombarded with loads of updates which have been pending.

There was no code message (that I can remember) which offered me a clue as to the error. I was given two options, one is the insert the original DVD, and the other, to go to a console prompt (which I find useless).

Cheers!

There are two updates to the kernel that I have hidden: 2808735 and 2813170

Do you have info on those Corrine? Those might be the cause of his problems.

I have both of those updates installed on 64-bit Windows 7.

With a dual-boot system, would updates be downloaded/installed automatically if there is an Internet connection but need to wait for the reboot until Windows is actually launched?

Hello,

Microsoft Windows' update mechanisms do not behave differently if the system they are installed on multi-boots, or is a VM, etc. There are changes that can be made if the machine is hosted on a domain, such as to download updates from the corporate WSUS server. There are also some changes on can make to change how it behaves when applying updates, too.

Personally, my solution is to check for, download and install updates at the beginning of that day's computing session. Solves problem of being prompted to reboot and allows me time to get a cup of coffee.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Anyway you look at, Windows needs to be rebooted at some time after an update. Since mine was set on auto update,

it never got past the "F9" BIOS drive selector menu. That was part one of the reboot. The second part was when GRUB came up. That's where I selected Windows, expecting it to come up, and complete the upgrade sequence. However that never happened. I just got a black screen instead, with the choice of either using the OS's dvd, or selecting the text command console.

I still haven't had the courage of applying the "fix". I'm procrastinating at the moment. I guess that deep down, I'm scared of finding other problems if I succeed on this "cure". I still need Windows for applications that have no Linux equivalent, and resent that fact. Guess that I'll have to get the get-up-and-go motivation to do it. BTW, I never install Windows on the same hard drive as Linux. This is why I can still use this machine to write this at the moment.

Cheers!

Hello,

Not every update triggers a reboot, a lot of the security ones sometimes do, but sometimes the ones related to performance, reliability and stability do not.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

Yes, and more do not cause a reboot these days than used to be true, I think.

Which is a pleasant surprise.