Welcome Rumor -- Microsoft Soon Adding 2-Factor Authentication

Corrine

A welcome rumor that Microsoft will be adding two-factor authentication!

The rumours all seem to stem from one source, Microsoft technogoss site liveside.net, whose allegedly-leaked screenshots of not-yet-public interface pages seem to bear out the story.

Microsoft looks like being next with two-factor authentication | Naked Security

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Corrine,

Will any of this affect my hotmail.com accounts or my means of accessing them via Thunderbird? Just curious...

Guest LilBambi

BTW: They also apparently migrated those using Hotmail to Outlook.com now?

One of my clients called to say her hotmail now goes to outlook.com and much of her stuff is missing in action.

Any other complaints about this? I need to go see her tomorrow and see if I can find her stuff for her now...

Guest LilBambi

I switched to Outlook.com a long time ago when they first offered it for my hotmail account so I didn't have this problem.

Edited by LilBambi

Corrine,

Will any of this affect my hotmail.com accounts or my means of accessing them via Thunderbird? Just curious...

No, the POP3/SMTP settings have not changed.

hmm. inneresting. yahoo is trying to do that, as are others, by demanding your cell phone number.

True, but for your Microsoft Account you don't need to provide a cell phone number. You can provide an alternate e-mail address instead.

One of my clients called to say her hotmail now goes to outlook.com and much of her stuff is missing in action.

Any other complaints about this? I need to go see her tomorrow and see if I can find her stuff for her now...

As I responded to Eric, mail is still accessible via mail.live.com. There was no change in server/location, and not major changes to the look & feel. If she inadvertently deleted mail, it can be recovered. See Restore deleted email messages in Outlook.com.

If she thought she had to change email address @outlook.com, that isn't the case. There is no need to change from any existing @hotmail.com, @live.com, or @msn.com address, although there is an option to create an Outlook alias or even an @live or @hotmail alias.

Your account can have up to 10 aliases, each of which lets you sign in to all the devices and services that use Microsoft account. Your aliases share a single password, and you can send and receive mail with each. Learn more about account aliases.

If she is using POP, make sure that she doesn't have the bottom option checked:

If you use POP to download Outlook messages to another program, that program could make it so you can't read your messages on Outlook. (For example, this might happen if you use Mac Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird.)

Don't let another program delete messages from Outlook. (If your other program is set to "delete messages from the server," we'll simply move them to a special POP folder. They won't be deleted.)

Do what my other program says—if it says to delete messages, then delete them.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Corrine!

I will find out today where she views her hotmail email. Thanks for the link regarding restoring deleted messages. That could be the ticket if she is viewing her hotmail within webmail only.

:thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

I received a notice from WinMail a few weeks ago. It was simple to change over in Thunderbird. I just had to change my servers from pop3.hotmail.com to pop3.live.com (same for smtp). I still get to use my hotmail.com domain in my email address, too. I haven't had any issues. I'm just wondering if the two-part authentication only affects the web access. I guess that is the case, though, as Yahoo's two-part authentication didn't affect my remote client access at all.

++++++

Posted this before reading all the way to the bottom of the thread. :(

Thanks for the info, Corrine. :)

Guest LilBambi

Well, all hotmail users have apparently been migrated to Outlook.com. MSN.com now just has a link to Outlook.com and if you try to go anywhere else like (hotmail.com), it takes you to mail.live.com for webmail.

My client only uses webmail and they made it sound like it was mandatory when she came back from her trip and tried to check her webmail.

Today, mail and other services were off and on all afternoon. Great time to be trying to find her missing emails. Especially since these emails were no where to be found within the outlook.com account.

Even tried the restore at the bottom of the deleted folder, and it just brought back the recent deleted since she got back. She needs those old emails too. She is in a dispute that she needs to have the email they sent to her so she can prove what they said. So the timing really stinks that they lost all her folders of emails. :(

Guest LilBambi

NOTE: We are not talking about what your email address is. As Corrine stated, you can have aliases from all your old email msn, hotmail, live, and outlook.com email address names and more that are not even related to your emails from those Microsoft products.

I am talking about them losing this poor ladies email folders in the transitions and her old inbox emails as well. For all the years she has had this email and the folders, not one made the transition, even those from her inbox.

Edited by LilBambi

Fran, I have had a Hotmail account (only accessed from the web - I use Outlook 2003 to access my ISP email only) since 2002 or so and have saved messages in a folder going back that far - mostly receipts. Other than the screen formatting, the transition to Outlook.com has been pretty transparent for me. YMMV

Guest LilBambi

That is great to hear mac! :thumbsup:

I didn't have any problems with mine when I moved over when they first started Outlook.com, but this poor lady had a major issue with it and apparently she isn't the only one.

Even if this was an issue like the forum moderator noted where folks misunderstood what was needed during the upgrade, and there should have been no doubt during such an upgrade as to what to do, and personally, I think it should have automatically imported the emails from the old servers for people and let them deal with deleting what they don't want. That's what was done back when I moved over when Outlook.com first started and I moved from hotmail to outlook.com.

This poor lady meticulously kept her emails in a set of folders over time. They are all gone...

There is something seriously wrong with the way Microsoft did this. They should have automatically moved over all email in the folders they were in.

This was a terrible thing to happen to anyone.

I believe that the help provided after a moderator requests that the person click on the "You have a private reply to this message" link is such that only the original poster and those authorized to help in this situation can see what the results are. This would be to protect the e-mail address and any other personally identifiable information of the person being helped. I am attempting to confirms this as I believe the best thing for that lady to do is to create a new topic there explaining the situation and the steps that have been taken. I am hoping to confirm my understanding of that process.

No reply yet, sorry. I do know that when I was having a problem with the old Windows Live Messenger and posted in the forum that there was a "private" conversation (rather like we can do with IPB Mod functions to hide posts). I tested visiting as a guest and also logging on with a different Microsoft Account and the public could not see either my replies or the information from the person helping.

I received a reply from the person I contacted with an apology for the delay as it took a while to locate where to send my inquiry. It has now been sent to the Forum Team and, hopefully, we'll find out if my understanding of the "private" conversation is as I understood. Perhaps then the lady you are helping will be willing to post there for assistance.

Guest LilBambi

It appears that their serve were so to import it all and their servermust have been really overloaded? Her stuff now is there now. Really weird.

Bottom line, no need to fix it amazingly enough.

Thanks so much for checking, Corrine. She just let me know today.

That is great news! I've passed along the information to my contact. Coincidentally, I saw a post in Facebook today where someone posted that ~5,000 files showed up in his email account today! My guess is like yours that the servers were just overloaded and the migration was more massive than anticipated.

Guest LilBambi

Yep, it was a huge undertaking. And yes, given the numbers, it could have been a lot worse.

But in a way, they asked for these problems and gave no fair warning on the change, or the possible problems due to sheer numbers during the migration. They should have expected this given they know how many users they have and what their servers can handle.

I don't give Apple a pass for such situations, and I don't give Microsoft a pass for this type of situation either.

Next time they try to do such a move, I hope they think it through better. And give their users more warning. And maybe not do a forced migration all at once of 4 million active user accounts!!

If they had thought about it a bit, they could have given more warning, done it in batches alphabetically, or something, and it wouldn't have scared so many folks that their data was gone.

They also didn't give any indication that it could be anything more than the fault of the person migrating. That was not the best policy either or fair to the user who was already panicing about their data.

I am very glad it finally worked out, but it took way too long to resolve. IMHO.

Guest LilBambi

This blog post illustrates why the migration took a while. Considering both the volume as well as the additions/changes, it is surprising that there has not been a lot more problems. Outlook Blog - Outlook.com: 400 million active accounts, Hotmail upgrade complete and more features on the way

And thanks for all you tried to do to help the situation Corrine! You were a God send. :thumbsup:

Wanted to quote your posting since I didn't realize my posting would move to the next page. Wanted everyone to see your posting about the article so I quoted it.

Next time they try to do such a move, I hope they think it through better. And give their users more warning. And maybe not do a forced migration all at once of 4 million active user accounts!!

If they had thought about it a bit, they could have given more warning, done it in batches alphabetically, or something, and it wouldn't have scared so many folks that their data was gone.

Remembering when there was a major Hotmail update several years ago, I checked an old post. Sure enough, the roll-out started in June, 2010 and wasn't expected to be completed for several months:

Microsoft has started rolling out the “new Hotmail” features. Because the Hotmail servers are grouped into hundreds of clusters, and only one cluster is upgraded at a time, the migration is not expected to be complete until the end of summer (winter in the Southern Hemisphere!). If you do not see the new features yet, please be patient.

I don't understand why there was such a rush to get this update completed.

And thanks for all you tried to do to help the situation Corrine! You were a God send. :thumbsup:

You're welcome.

It could have been an architectural issue that prevented them from doing it in stages. We don't know how the guts of the system work so it is hard to say.

Adam

It wasn't "all at once". The Outlook migration began in February. Reportedly the migration took 6 weeks with several weeks "ensuring everything was complete". Obviously, there were a few glitches along the way, but when looking at the overall picture, it was quite an accomplishment.