GRC

quint

Guest ComputerBob

Thanks, quint! That's excellent information! There certainly are many more tests there now than there were when I visited there just a few days ago! :D

Guest ComputerBob
Does anybody get a close port 113 when using ZoneAlarm? 3.1.395 is my current build.
I got a stealth reading on all 1056 ports, including 113, using ZA Free v3.7.143 on Win98SE.

Guest LilBambi

Very nice quint!Thanks for the updated info ... like Bob I have been there recently but it has changed since I was there last!I was very pleased with the Common and Service Ports results:

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.
:P

Does anybody get a close port 113 when using ZoneAlarm? 3.1.395 is my current build.
I got a stealth reading on all 1056 ports, including 113, using ZA Free v3.7.143 on Win98SE.
Same here: using ZA Free v3.7.143 - Full Stealth - including 113. I clicked on "113" and there is the usual Gibson total explanation/solution.

After reading Steve Gibson's write up on port 113, I've determined that my Linksys BEFSR41 Router was not dropping port 113 requests. Using Steve's suggestion of forwarding that port to a non-existent host IP address solved the problem and I am now completely stealthed!

nlinecomputers
After reading Steve Gibson's write up on port 113, I've determined that my Linksys BEFSR41 Router was not dropping port 113 requests. Using Steve's suggestion of forwarding that port to a non-existent host IP address solved the problem and I am now completely stealthed!
Boy can you tell the paranoid security geeks in this room or what? I just got finished doing the same. B) grc.com got some nice new tools to quickly check a system and his webpage is good to show the non-geek what kind of trouble they are in for.

Guest LilBambi
Boy can you tell the paranoid security geeks in this room or what? I just got finished doing the same. :) grc.com got some nice new tools to quickly check a system and his webpage is good to show the non-geek what kind of trouble they are in for.
LOL! B) :) :)

I passed! A+ for me. B) :) I don't run Zone Alarm any more. It caused too many problems. :) I should probably look at the newer version. I am using just the XP firewall and whatever came set up on my Linksys router. I figured it would show something but am happy to know that absolutely nothing on any of the tests showed anything other than the IP address (which is luck of the draw).Now, everone: it is exercise time.Take your right hand and hold it up as high as you can. Cross it over your front and reach around to your back.Use your left hand to help it reach your back.Give yourself a pat on the back. :) :) :) :)

While sometimes I think Gibson can be a bit of a self-promoter and an alarmist, his raising the over all awareness of security issues needs to be applauded. And his chronicle of the DOS attacks that happened to him are classic.

The only thing I've got open is my FTP port, which is by design. I keep it open to make file transfers easy to/from work. I've got a secure FTP setup, so I'm not too worried about it... no Anonymous access or anything :)Otherwise I'm stealth as a ninja! :) B)

jbredmound

Thanks, Quint. I've never used this site before, but I'm stealth all the way, and that's nice to hear from another source! B)

peachy, I was going to suggest your router, but I see you already figured that out. Good work. I just went through this two weeks ago. My problem occured after a firmware update, it was closed before that. I used the port forwarding trick you described, worked like a charm.Chris

My problem occured after a firmware update, it was closed before that. I used the port forwarding trick you described, worked like a charm.Chris
This port stopped being stealthed when I upgraded the firmware to 1.44 and it still persisted with 1.44.2. I had an inkling it was the firmware upgrade because 1.43 had everything stealthed, but I didn't want to back rev. the firmware. GRC made me sure that it was the firmware.