'Witty' Worm Attacks BlackICE Defender

Peachy

Guest LilBambi

wonderful :whistling: I personally would never use BlackICE, I really do not trust their ability to 'defend' a system from the major problems that have been associated with them over the years and in the past they were very slow to fix them from what I understand.Maybe all that has changed, but this vulnerability sure makes you wonder.I rarely use IE either ... swiss cheese with a door. Thanks for 'da info' Peachy!

linuxdude32

That's a nasty worm. The second article mentioned that simply rebooting would get rid of it of course if your boot record is corrupted by that point, you may not be able to. :blink: :rolleyes:

Cluttermagnet

BlackIce Defender gets singled out for special criticism by Steve Gibson because of some apparently deceptive business practices. They have a software firewall that apparently does not protect at all against outgoing traffic. Since their software therefore fails Gibson's "Leak Test", they put out a new version and supposedly implied that this glaring deficiency had been corrected. Trouble is, all they had done was to make one little change that would fool Leak Test (blocking the GRC site, as I remember). So Gibson simply made one little change in his utility (changed the IP number connected to when running Leak Test), and presto! BlackIce was once again failing Leak Test. Gibson has it all documented on his website if you care to dig for it. See his section about firewalls, which includes relative rankings by performance here and here and especially here. The saddest thing for me was to read elsewhere some emails from some BID users who just swore by it and thought it was the best firewall ever. They had paid for the software, of course. Humans are very good at rationalizing. That is a nasty worm for sure. I would have to agree with the description of its behavior as written up in The Register article referenced above: "exceptionally vicious by current standards". Yikes! This is the software equivalent of 'Spongiform Encephalopathy', better known as 'Mad Cow Disease'. Formerly known as Strassman's Syndrome, the only cure for which is death (thanks Firesign Theatre). Sorry, I just couldn't resist.