Ridiculously Long Page Load Times

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

All day today the forum has intermittently been creepy-crawly, dial-up speed. What's up? I've received numerous time-out errors during the day. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

The page load time to post the above took 27 seconds. That's horrendously slow. Is this part of that super-cyber attack against Spamhaus that's going on?

All day today the forum has intermittently been creepy-crawly, dial-up speed. What's up? I've received numerous time-out errors during the day. :(

The page load time to post the above took 27 seconds. That's horrendously slow. Is this part of that super-cyber attack against Spamhaus that's going on?

Nope Eric , it is just you. They finally found you and are doing the IT version of water torture.

Guest LilBambi

Loads fine here too.

Blame it on the Internet slowdown they claim is happening?

Just kidding.

Next time it happens Eric, do a trace route.

V.T. Eric Layton

I did a traceroute last night. It was completed rapidly with no issues. Unfortunately, ping and traceroute are ICPM protocols at Layer 3. They're great (essential, actually) tools for checking connectivity. However, they're worthless at troubleshooting slow downs at higher layers... TCP, HTTP, etc., which is most likely where the problem is... probably a balky DNS somewhere. Who knows? :(

*Heh! I sound like I know what I'm talking about above here, huh? ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

That's the odd thing. The forum was the only site I visited yesterday that was slow. :(

It hasn't really been zooming fast today, either.

I did a traceroute last night. It was completed rapidly with no issues. Unfortunately, ping and traceroute are ICPM protocols at Layer 3. They're great (essential, actually) tools for checking connectivity. However, they're worthless at troubleshooting slow downs at higher layers... TCP, HTTP, etc., which is most likely where the problem is... probably a balky DNS somewhere. Who knows? :(

More likely an issue with PHP/MySQL on the server itself. I m trying to remeber if we have access to stats on latency, etc.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

There was a sql error on March 13th and March 7th. These were both due to being overloaded with search queries within the forums.

If it continues, we will have to limit searches within the forums so folks won't have to suffer these slowdowns.

But no SQL errors yesterday at all.

Guest LilBambi

We have done some routine maintenance on the database and something else was done as well. We will see how that affects things.

Same here. :thumbsup: B)

I think it is an intermittent problem with the servers. Most of the time I can peruse the site with no problems. But once in a while, it slows to a crawl. When it does, I just exit and come back later.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, speed is inconsistent for me, also. It still gets my blood pressure up while waiting for pages to load, though. I'm a victim of spoilage regarding fast Internet access.

Death before dial-up... er, I mean dishonor. ;)

• Like 1

Yes, speed is inconsistent for me, also. It still gets my blood pressure up while waiting for pages to load, though. I'm a victim of spoilage regarding fast Internet access.

Death before dial-up... er, I mean dishonor. ;)

Yes, it is annoying. But when the problem is with the site, no amount of fiddling with your browser settings is going to help. You just have to "grin and bear it". :'(

V.T. Eric Layton

It's the grinning part I have a hard time with. For me, it's "grimmace and bear it." >_

Guest LilBambi

Except for a short stint this afternoon when it was slow (no errors or anything but slow), it's been running much nicer for me.

I am also trying another browser instead of Google Chrome for the forums.

Both yesterday and again this morning when I click "View New Content" it just sits there (on DSL) with the spinning circle. It takes an average of 30-60 seconds for the new content page to finally load. The first visit of the day is always the worst. then it gets better. Could it be Temmu's night visits? B)

Edited by frapper
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

If your browser is dumping cache when you logoff at night, it has to reacquire everything when you return there the next morning. That will definitely slow things down a bit.

My browser has always cleared itself when it closes because I choose to save nothing.

Today, I'm experiencing long load times here - no other sites.

Notice the icons are missing in front of the topics so I can't distinguish what I read and didn't.

perkScot_links_Scot_icon_missing.jpg

That was from the Computerworld News but it is the same in ALL sections of the forum.

Edited by zlim

Guest LilBambi

Thanks folks. I will let them know that the slowness is back again.

I wonder if we are under some sort of DDoS or maybe the spider bots are being particularly irksome.

Tell Scot it is about time he converted to broadband. This dial up he's using is just too slow. I can draw the site quicker than it is loading. :whistling: