Windows is more secure than Linux out of the box

mhbell

Humor by David 'cdlu' Graham What a Humorous story. Before you start flaming Read the story. It Is Humor.Mel :rolleyes: After years of petty squabbling between the most innovative company in the software industry and a few pesky upstart hippie developers over which of their operating systems is more secure, the verdict is finally in. Microsoft's flagship Windows software is more secure than Linux. You can demonstrate this for yourself just as we did.http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04...4/03/16/1915249

Nice find Mel.

We are forced to admit that, with the use of certificates, stickers, and serial numbers, Windows vastly outpaces Linux security out of the box.
The high prices must just be another high tech security measure. :blink: :rolleyes:

Guest LilBambi

Wish I could find that Microsoft transcript of one of their employees saying that if you want a secure computer, don't take it out of the box. (paraphrase of course).

Cluttermagnet

Ah, let's not be hasty. I recently had a most interesting experience whilst installing Win98SE onto an AMD K6 box. I was stunned to see Windows start installing vast numbers of files without having once asked me for the sacred serial number. Eventually, at some point well downstream and with most of Windows installed, it suddenly seemed to shake off its amnesia after one of many reboots and it demanded to have its serial number. I wonder if I might have been better off terminating the installation then and there, to see how well my computer would perform with just 'half an operating system'. Sorry, just kidding. I knew all along that Windows is way more secure than Linus- er, Linux. :) :w00t:

I was reading an article last night in PC World. I had to laugh at their reference to Linux Live CDs such as Knoppix without ever saying what the evil CDs were except at the end:

Boot-proof it:  Your Windows password may be 26 characters long, with letters, numbers, and special characters--but if an intruder can read your hard drive without having to boot Windows, what good will it do you?  Armed with a freely available, custom boot floppy or CD, a knowledgeable snoop can access your digital goods without ever entering Windows.  To prevent this, use the system BIOS to disable boot devices other than the hard disk (or, if that's not possible, select the hard disk as the first boot device).  For computers located in hard-to-protect public areas, consider removing floppy and CD/DVD drives, and disabling or removing USB and FireWire ports, to prevent people from booting the PC with a Linux disk.
He then goes on to tell how to password protect the BIOs. Gee, are you carrying your disks around looking to see who's computer you can break into? If I was a Windows user, I would be more likely to have problems with viruses than someone walking around with a "Linux" disk. I love the positive spin on Linux users. :w00t: :) Julia :w00t:

unlike the insecure hacker operating system Linux, will quickly and without complaint run any software offered it from any Web site or email attachment as requested.
You just gotta love it! :)