Contest #3: Wayback!

Corrine

Ten years and a lot of history behind us at SNF. The first Highlander who correctly answers the questions below will win the prize package below, Total Value $85!

-- EmsiSoft Anti-Malware (1 year)

-- WinPatrol PLUS (life time)

-- Patriot Memory Supersonic Xpress 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (PSF16GXPUSB)

Special Note to Highlanders who only use Linux: You can gift the EmsiSoft and WinPatrol licenses to a family member or friend who uses Windows so please don't hesitate to enter the contest. I'm sure you can all use the flash drive!

Important Notes:

Depending upon the information needed by the vendor, prize winners may need to provide a valid e-mail address and name to be given to the software vendor for providing the license key and any necessary instructions. The winner will also need to provide a mailing address for the USB Flash Drive.

Highlanders are only eligible to win one contest in the SNF 10th Anniversary Celebration. In the event the winner cannot use any of the licenses included in the package, they can gift it to a family member or friend. Contest winners will be contacted via PM (Private Message) to obtain the needed information.

1. Members of SNF are referred to as Highlanders (see We Need A Name). However, selecting Highlanders as a name was not the first reference to Highlanders. Who and where was the term first brought up?

2. When did Scot join Computerworld? What is his position there now and when was he promoted?

3. When is Scot's birthday?

Wow I remember way back when we had a vote on the name we wanted to use, but can't remember what the other options were at all.

The Name Game which might lead some adventurous person to #1.

The clue is in one of the two linked threads. In fact, The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe has the answers to both #1 & #3.

Figure I will take a crack at it. Think it was great to take the time to look up some information on Scot Finnie as if not for him, us Highlanders (and sub-species Penguins) would not be here today celebrating 10 awesome years. ;) Thanks Scot :)

1. Members of SNF are referred to as Highlanders (see We Need A Name). However, selecting Highlanders as a name was not the first reference to Highlanders. Who and where was the term first brought up?

This is probably wrong, but Rons originally suggested the idea of Highlanders as the name, but the question is more geared towards a reference to Highlanders not involving naming those of us who frequent here.

2. When did Scot join Computerworld? What is his position there now and when was he promoted?

Joined Computerworld April 2006 (exact day in April I was not able to find) He is the Editor in Chief of ComputerWorld and was promoted to that position on 6 November 2007.

3/28/58

• Like 1

Figure I will take a crack at it. Think it was great to take the time to look up some information on Scot Finnie as if not for him, us Highlanders (and sub-species Penguins) would not be here today celebrating 10 awesome years. ;) Thanks Scot :)

This is probably wrong, but Rons originally suggested the idea of Highlanders as the name, but the question is more geared towards a reference to Highlanders not involving naming those of us who frequent here.

Joined Computerworld April 2006 (exact day in April I was not able to find) He is the Editor in Chief of ComputerWorld and was promoted to that position on 6 November 2007.

3/28/58

You're almost there, Ian.

I found it very interesting that the first time the term Highlanders was used was within the first month.

• Like 1

I believe it was Jeber who first made reference to the term Highlanders (Question #1)

If a Swede can barge into this string for a quick comment (about the names, not about all you highlanders :D ), I like the simple convention of "member", "moderator", etc. Democracy for all members, and it gets attention if the post is from "the front office". Don't go for Klingon, the pronunciations make my tongue hurt.

My answer for question 2 and 3 stand. :)

• Like 1

Thank you all :)

Those were not real easy to find. Believe it or not, the first question took right much more effort. :)

Edited by ichase

I thought it was a give-away. Fastest way -- search The Restaurant . . . for highlanders. Go to the last thread in the last page in the search results.

I thought it was a give-away. Fastest way -- search The Restaurant . . . for highlanders. Go to the last thread in the last page in the search results.

:hysterical: Well of COURSE it was easy for the person whom came up with the questions. :hysterical:

True, but I did set out looking for the first use of the term too. I almost made it your first guess (Rons) but was persistent. :D

True, but I did set out looking for the first use of the term too. I almost made it your first guess (Rons) but was persistent. :D

As you should be :thumbsup:

Yup, big day right around the corner. Does Scot ever post here anymore?

Edited by ichase

Scot stops by occasionally but due to the never-ending pressures in his position as well as family obligations, his time is very limited.

Guest LilBambi

Hey Ian, you must have missed Scot's posting in the 10th Anniversary thread here (bottom of page one) and considering what's on his plate these days, I count it great that he even was able to post that! :thumbup: