google reader going kaput

crp

Guest LilBambi

I like Feedly for Desktop and Mobile Integration.

The biggest issue that many will find is that Google Reader was the source for many folks' Flipboard apps on their mobile devices.

As Google Reader is killed off, Flipboard, Feedly and others step up with RSS alternatives - The Next Web

We’ve Got Your RSS Covered! Save Your Google Reader Feeds Now - Flipboard

I've been using browser-based Bloglines for RSS feeds. I forgot what I was using prior to that -- whatever it was shut down. Anyway, looks like they're picking up a lot of Google Reader folks. The banner line reads:

If you're experiencing slowdowns or feed latency, please bear with us as we work hard to handle a huge amount of new users. Thank you for your patience

• Like 1

I like Feedly for Desktop and Mobile Integration.

I started using Feedly today. I like it ok so far. I think it may be the best of the replacements.

• Like 1

That's right, Bloglines was going to shut down until MerchantCircle took it over. Did you have a Bloglines account? If you want to import an OPML click the "Don't Migrate now" link. Then after you're in Bloglines, click +Add Content > Add a Feed. Below the blank line to add a single new feed is OPML:Import. I missed it in the screen copy but there is a darker line at the bottom of that box that drops down that you click to close the box.

BloglinesImport_zpscffe6022.jpg

I started using Feedly today. I like it ok so far. I think it may be the best of the replacements.

Feedly addon doesn't work with SeaMonkey :(

Bloglines looks like a good contender as it is browser based, which is how i used google Reader.

Guest LilBambi

Glad there is something that works with your browser crp. That's the beauty of various products. If one doesn't work with your browser, another will.

Great that Corrine was using something that works for you.

I tried the web version of Google Reader but didn't like it.

I really liked having an RSS Feed which i was in total control of when I saw the feedings. And on one page :)

Eventually I hope to try out theoldreader , but there are 27620 users in the import queue ahead of me, an advance of only 13,000 since Sunday.

So may be a couple of days yet before I can report.

Eventually I hope to try out theoldreader , but there are 27620 users in the import queue ahead of me, an advance of only 13,000 since Sunday.

So may be a couple of days yet before I can report.

Yeah I'm in the queue too

Finally, my profile got imported into theoldreader tonight.

It doesn't keep the time stamps from google reader, so i will need to go through my subscriptions to see what is really new.

But the layout does seem nice, if slow. maybe when the importing is all done by the google users the speed will pick up.

for 28,000 transactions to take days or weeks, someone must be manually intervening... that, or a lot of data per user over a sloooow connection?

supposedly it was automated. could be they are using a Celron with 1G RAM as the import server.

Hmm my sites finished importing. I either didn't get or just missed the email telling me. I literally just found out though so I don't have any impressions yet.

Hmm my sites finished importing. I either didn't get or just missed the email telling me. I literally just found out though so I don't have any impressions yet.

I got the email hours after the import was done.

• 2 weeks later...

well, theoldreader is basically working out for me. I really like having a web interface for my RSS feeds. The interface is a bit slow and a tiny bit wonky but definitely workable without trying to figure out "w-t-h is going on".

securitybreach

Well I started importing everything into Feedly and I have it setup as a replacement. Now if I could just find a good homepage replacement for iGoogle (going away in November). I need a page that I can add rss feeds to that has 4-5 of the latest entries of each. Something similar to my iGoogle page (perhaps with multiple tabs):

uBn9A69.png

I know we discussed this before but I have yet to find a good replacement.