Temmu

hi,

as i cannot post in "announcements" (party central)

i'll start a game here!! :D

no looking up answers on the internet or books. :o just make an educated guess! :D

it's common knowledge that anders celsius, the swedish astronomer, invent the celsius (temperature) scale.

1. what was the point where water just started to melt marked on his thermometer? :o

2. what was the point where water just started to boil marked on his thermometer? :o

bonus question:

at that point in history (1740's) what was contained in thermometers to indicate temperature :o

again, no cheating! simply post your guesses!

i will mark answers on tues, 3/12 around 6pm, and post a new question.

Temmu

thx, corrine, for moving this...

yes, the idea is to have some fun, not search google, et al. :D

go ahead, take a stab!

ps

clarification - freezing & boiling points of water is how that's commonly stated... it's not a trick.

Edited by Temmu

Well, since I am a math(s) teacher, I'm pretty sure I know the answers without doing research.

0° C is the freezing point so I guess it would also be the melting point.

100° C is the boiling point.

Old time thermometers used mercury. I remember when a thermometer broke and trying to figure out how to pick up the mercury. It was a cross between a liquid and a solid. I'm not sure if this was used in 1740. I'll be curious to learn what was used if not mercury.

abarbarian

I recon Zim has it right. The ancient Chinese knew about mercury so mercury in thermometers in 1740 sounds possible. :breakfast:

Not trying to jump on the band wagon, but if forced by gun point to answer this question I would go with what I do know. 32 degree fahrenheit is the freezing point of water which is 0 degrees celsius. And 212 degrees Fahrenheit is the boiling point of water which is 100 degrees Celcius. (I know, Liz kinda pointed that out) But it could also depend on where Mr. Celcius was when he performed this experiment as that could play a factor too. I hate going with the obvious. 0 freeze 100 melt. So, I will throw out a different answer.

Freeze: -5 Degrees Celcius

Melt 97 Degrees Celcius

This is not an educated guess, this is a SHOT IN THE DARK, PULL A NUMBER OUT OF A HAT GUESS :hysterical:

As Abarbarian stated, Mercury has been around a LONG TIME. But to be different, I will go with:

What was in Mr. Celcius's thermometer to state temp: Water though that is probably a dumb answer considering he was measuring the temp of water?

Temmu

greets!

as promised, the answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2jSv8PDDwA

1. as anders celcius himself marked his thermometer:

100 = freezing of water

0 = boiling of water

(after a time, the head of the swedish acadamy cried bogus, and we have today, the opposite, with 0 being freezing)

2. thermometers were originally filled with water or alcohol, or even air!

=========================================================================================================

next q:

sailing ships took up to 2 months to transit england to america over the atlantic ocean

1. what was the first invention to speed things up?

2. how fast did that ship, with its invention, take to cross the atlantic?

3. after that ship & its invention proved inefficient in the open ocean, what invention replaced it?

4. how fast did the new ship cross the atlantic?

bonus q

what was the man whose invention was on the first ship famous for just before that?

bonus bonus q

the inventor's name & was he related to the second ship's invention?

Guest LilBambi

1. hybrid Sailing Ship and Steam ship

2.SS Savannah - sailing ship/side wheel steamer - driving two 16' paddlewheels

On June 2, Savannah, sailing at a speed of 9 or 10 knots, passed the sailing ship Pluto

SS-Savannah.jpg

Edited by LilBambi
Guest LilBambi

2. a. RMS Titanic was the largest steamship in the world when she sank in 1912; a subsequent major sinking of a steamer was that of the RMS Lusitania, as an act of World War I. Launched in 1938, RMS Queen Elizabeth was the largest passenger steamship ever built. Launched in 1969, RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) was the last passenger steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean on a scheduled liner voyage before she was converted to diesels in 1986. The last major passenger ship built with steam engines was the Fairsky, launched in 1984.

3. Diesel engines The first to cross the Atlantic was apparently The Toiler as noted in this google book and the "These ships are fitted with oil-fired Scotch boilers. ... The Toiler was the first Diesel-powered vessel to cross the Atlantic and is still in service." on this site's google entry (page itself isn't coming up at all) and about her speed, I found this reference, "She is said to have made that trip in extremely heavy weather, managing an average speed of only 5.9 ...included the following detail, under the heading "The TOILER's Mishap" " More about The Toiler on this google book page. Hard to make out the size of the engine in the scan, but oil consumption ran from 1.65 - 1.75 TONS in a 24 hour period! But if that sounds gawd awful, a steamer of the same size would go through 8-9 TONS of coal per day. (the info for The Toiler starts on the lower right had side of the scanned page.

Edited by LilBambi
Temmu

Um... This isn't an open book test... But I'll still pass on the 2 inventions & their creator & what he was first famous for, later...

Temmu

the inventor was the infamous Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

he stretched a steam rail line from london, england, to the sea port, bristol.

the rail line was called the great western.

once there, he used steam to likewise cross the atlantic, that in just 15 days.

the ship was powered by steam & was a paddle wheel

likewise called the great western.

but it was inefficient as 1 of the 2 wheels was usually out of the water due to the rolling of the hull.

the 2nd ship's invention was the screw, or propeller.

the crossing was now just 14 days, as the screw stayed in the water.

it's name was the great britan, and rests in drydock, restored, to this day.

(you should read about that man's 1.2 zillion accomplishments, it is amazing!)

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

next q:

when the apollo & soyuz space craft mated (so to speak) in orbit in 1975, at the height of the cold war

what was the problem that had to be overcome before they could mate?

what was the deadly outcome that would result from mating without resolving this? [yes, death, but how?]

and which country's astronauts would have likely perished from poor mating practices?

bonus q

what did nasa / cccp (?) do to resolve the issue?

um, "building a docking module" is an insufficient answer.

Pure guesses on my part.

1. what was the problem that had to be overcome before they could mate?

I suspect they had to be slowed down so they wouldn't crash into each other.

2. what was the deadly outcome that would result from mating without resolving this?

With no space capsule surrounding an astronaut, I'm not sure if you would die from lack of oxygen, exposure to the cold or explode because of no gravity.

3. which country's astronauts would have likely perished from poor mating practices?

United States and Russia

4. what did nasa / cccp (?) do to resolve the issue?

I would have guessed skip this until a space station was built but from your earlier comments, apparently this did occur in 1975.

Temmu

Super guesses, zlim!

This one seems to require the use of books or google, if you prefer!

So go ahead and research this one.

Temmu

the apollo capsule was at 100% oxygen, at only 5 psi.

the russian capsule was nitrogen / oxygen at 15 psi.

without the added airlock,

the russian capsule would have rapidly depressurized, possibly killing its astronauts

for the same reason divers get the bends when they ascend to fast:

the nitrogen turns to bubbles, making sick or killing them.

===================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

ok, what do we have here? (please guess!) internet allowed!

yes, it is motorized, as you see the motor box has been removed from the top.

the large bowl has lots of narrow slots in its bottom.

salad_zps68bf2f73.png

Edited by Temmu

So far I'm pretty sure it is not: a) motorized thresher b ) flour sifter c) automatic cat litter box or d) gold sifter

My search leads me to strange places!

Temmu

now... i should say... that literally half of the assembly (the top pieces) are not shown... or it would be a literal give away...