Bing won't direct me to MSN

JerryM

Using FireFox 18 0r 19 I want my home page to be MSN, however when I set it as home page only a blank page comes up. At the top showing where I am it does show msn, but with it the Bing logo shows to the left of the address.. Any other home page is OK, and Bing is not shown.

It just happened a couple of days ago after I updated to FF 19. I went back to FF 18.0.2 and have the same problem.

Both IE and Chrome are OK and the Bing logo does not show in the address bar.???

Anyway to reasonable get rid of Bing? So far nothing works, and it does not show on the Control Panel.

I am using W7.

Thanks,

Jerry

Edited by JerryM

Hi Adam,

I have not tried to connect to bing.com. It when I try to go to msn.com with FF that Bing brings it up as a blank page. Bing does not affect other sites or other browsers when I want to go to msn.com.

I can't get around Bing on FF when I try to go to msn.com. I have never set Bing for anything.

Thanks,

Jerry

Guest LilBambi

Can you provide some screenshots Jerry. It's really hard to visualize what you are talking about.

It sounds like you are saying that MSN.com doesn't come up at all when you click on www.msn.com? Or that when you go to www.msn.com, and search using MSN's Bing search bar that you get no results?

What plugins do you have installed in Firefox? Did you open Firefox, navigate to www.msn.com and then go to the Options and choose current page as your home page but it doesn't come up when you click on the little house?

In the homepage section, did you make sure you clicked to open the following page as your homepage? Instead of the Firefox start page, etc?

when I try to go to msn.com with FF that Bing brings it up
I'm not quite sure why you involved BING.

FF 19 on XP SP3. I typed this in my address bar

www.msn.com

and it took me here http://www.msn.com/

with a fully functioning page.

If on the other hand I start here: http://www.bing.com/?FORM=MSNBNV

I click the MSN up in the title bar, then I return to http://www.msn.com/ which is still fully visible.

I can't find a way to post an image. I have a JPEG.

Liz, even when I click on your link it doesn't take me to msn, but to a blank page. If I can post an image it will be better.

Jerry

Edited by JerryM

Hi Corrine,

Yes I cleared history and cache, and cookies.

It is only MSN where I get a blank page and in the address box it shows the address, but there is the Bing logo before the address. It is not so for any other site or on my other browsers including IE8.

I have no idea how Bing took charge of this address on my FF. I am running W 7.

How can I load a JPEG on my desktop?

Thanks,

Jerry

Can you provide some screenshots Jerry. It's really hard to visualize what you are talking about.]

If I can find out how to do it, I have a JPEG on my desktop.

[it sounds like you are saying that MSN.com doesn't come up at all when you click on www.msn.com? Or that when you go to www.msn.com, and search using MSN's Bing search bar that you get no results?]

I set MSN as my home page, and all that comes up is a blank page. It is also the same when I type the address in a search or directly.

[What plugins do you have installed in Firefox? Did you open Firefox, navigate to www.msn.com and then go to the Options and choose current page as your home page but it doesn't come up when you click on the little house?]

Here are the plugns. Google update, Java toolkit, Java Platform, MS Office 2010, Shockwave flash, Silverlight, and Windows Live photo gallery.

[in the homepage section, did you make sure you clicked to open the following page as your homepage? Instead of the Firefox start page, etc?

]

Yes, I did, and finally went to another home page without problems.I posted on Wilders to show the image.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2197730#post2197730

Regards, and thanks.

Jerry

Edited by JerryM

It is fixed. Here is the comment on Wilders that got it working without Bing.

[What worked for me was right clicking when on the msn.com webpage and selecting view page info. Then select security tab, view cookies and delete all cookies. Then click on the permissions tab to block the website from setting cookies].

Thanks for all the help. Some of these things are too much for me at my level.

Regards,

Jerry

I see someone at Wilders solved the issue. I misunderstood that you were starting from Bing whereas what was really happening was Bing was trying to take over. Apparently you got a bad cookie.

I see someone at Wilders solved the issue. I misunderstood that you were starting from Bing whereas what was really happening was Bing was trying to take over. Apparently you got a bad cookie.

I did not state the probem well, and evidently that is what happened. I don't understand how it happened, but I'll take the fix.:) :clap:

Thanks, again,

Jerry